Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Headbands

Options
  • 23-04-2008 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭

Does anyone use a headband to keep sweat out of your face and off your glasses? If so can you give me the details of any you might recommend.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

I wear contacts on the bike so have to wear a headband to keep the sweat out of my eyes but sometimes feel like a bit of a "fred" wearing it !! Maybe i should switch to a Bandana ?

If u do get a hat or cap make sure it's good quality cotton, i got team ones before and they made me sweat even more than i usually do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭erizo

you can get one of those the tennis players use. I have a couple of them and they are really efficient.
    I guess you can get them in any regular sport store

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭ba

why not buy a helmet that is superiorly ventilated? maybe the giro atmos/ionos? so not only will you look cooler, but you wont have to wear a stupid pirate bandanna or sweat band.

ba wrote: »
    why not buy a helmet that is superiorly ventilated? maybe the giro atmos/ionos? so not only will you look cooler, but you wont have to wear a stupid pirate bandanna or sweat band.

I have a Giro Pneumo helmet, very well ventilated but when i'm going up hills the sweat still gets in my eyes .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭bunnygreen

i use one of these, http://www.irishfit.eu/sweatgutrmain.html
    it really worked for me last year in France,it was incredibly hot,the sweat falls down into a small gutter and out around the back,very clever,you would'nt know you have it on.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 108 ✭✭conor rowan

have started using a cotton one recently, not sure if it makes me feel hotter though.

another alternative is to rub a blob of vaseline in your eyebrows, means the water gets funnelled to the side of your face. think it may leave them silky smooth after:)

just try to walk around discretely clad in a lycra wrestling suit holding a tub of vaseline:D

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

The ionos is some helmet keeps your head so cool could not wear during the winter kept freezing the head off me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭cantalach

An often overlooked downside to high-end 'superiorly ventilated' helmets as you describe them is that they leave your scalp very exposed to the sun if, like me, you're a little thin on top. When living in Australia, I had to start wearing a bandana for long midday spins after a few episodes which left me with rather unattractive stripes on my head. Granted, this isn't perhaps such a big deal in our climate but it'll bite you if you take your airy helmet to the South of France in July.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Dowee

Thanks for the responses above folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

cantalach wrote: »
    An often overlooked downside to high-end 'superiorly ventilated' helmets as you describe them is that they leave your scalp very exposed to the sun if, like me, you're a little thin on top. When living in Australia, I had to start wearing a bandana for long midday spins after a few episodes which left me with rather unattractive stripes on my head. Granted, this isn't perhaps such a big deal in our climate but it'll bite you if you take your airy helmet to the South of France in July.

someone should tell levi. that's one massive and stripey mellon.

Leipheimer.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭bunnygreen

I'm a complete slaphead and wear a Giro Ionos,when cycling in very hot/sunny weather i wear a silk beanie soaked in cold water under the helmet,it really works well,protecting the noggin and keeping you cool,when it drys out just soak it again and keep on cycling.
    Maybe we should start a "Top Tips" thread covering everthing from head to foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭cantalach

bunnygreen wrote: »
    I'm a complete slaphead and wear a Giro Ionos,when cycling in very hot/sunny weather i wear a silk beanie soaked in cold water under the helmet,it really works well,protecting the noggin and keeping you cool,when it drys out just soak it again and keep on cycling.
    Maybe we should start a "Top Tips" thread covering everthing from head to foot.

Before hitting upon the bandana, my first approach to stripy head avoidance was to rub lots of factor 30+ into my scalp. Big mistake. When the residue ran down my forehead and into my eyes, it burned like hell...and that was with a hypo-allergenic brand for use on kids!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭boomdocker

I use these: they are excellent:\

http://store.haloheadband.com/halo_II_pullover_s/9.htm

and they ship cheap.

I've tried bandanas, cotton tie ons, girls headbands, the lot....

these are by far the best, sweat in the eyes a thing of the past, and the best thing is you don't even know you have it on.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

sweatbands are naff
    but sweat stings when it gets in your eyes so you have to do something

if you have a helmet you could use fabric padding, don't forget to wash it every so often as can get stinky

boomdocker wrote: »
    I use these: they are excellent:\

http://store.haloheadband.com/halo_II_pullover_s/9.htm

and they ship cheap.

I've tried bandanas, cotton tie ons, girls headbands, the lot....

these are by far the best, sweat in the eyes a thing of the past, and the best thing is you don't even know you have it on.

What's the cost of shipping to ireland ?

Advertisement