Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tevez or Rooney

• 23-04-2008 1:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭

ok folks bit of a hypotheical one here.

Been pondering this for a bit and was wondering in a head-to-head if you were picking between Rooney and Tevez who would you pick?

For myself I feel Roney hasn't delivered in terms of his enormous promise when he burst onto the scene -( please note that I'm not saying he's not a very very good player) I'm just saying that I thought by this stage he would be the number one player in the world especially given his debut goal against Arsenal, his hat-trick debut in the champions league and the fact that when he moved to Utd he would be among so many better players, he would develop. I know he's still youngish and it's probable he's hasn't reached the peak of his abilites. I may also be harsh in that I imagined Rooney would end up as be the player Ronaldo has turned into - bagging 38 goals a season, being compared to Ruud and Best as a legend etc so playing alongside probably doesn't help this impression. Rooney's form this season hasn't been outstanding - there have been some patches where the goal's have dried up for a bit. Also Rooney seems to have bought into the England media's hype of himself a bit too much, which irks me as well -the comment "the big man is here" at Euro 2006 was one I thought was a fair bit over the top.

As against that Tevez distinctly seems to be number three in the pecking order at Utd which to me seems to be very harsh. Rooney seems to be undroppable when fit which I don't think is fair. In terms of important goals scored especially this season I think there is no comparison. However Rooney does have a tendency to throw the toys out of the pram of things when don't go his way with regard to decisions which always gets my wick up. In terms of being hard-working and willingness to get stuck in both score highly impressively. However if asked I would plump for Tevez over Rooney and in spite of all the reasons listed here I'm not even 100% sure why.

So what I'm saying is that if you were picking a Utd team who would you pick of these two first Rooney or Tevez? I'm especially interested to hear Utd fans opinions on this. Convince me of my wisdom or folly.

Who would you pick Rooney or Tevez 52 votes

Tevez (Utd Fan)
    0% 0 votes
    Rooney (Utd Fan)
    7% 4 votes
    Tevez
    46% 24 votes
    Rooney
    19% 10 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    26% 14 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Rooney - never goes missing in games. finishing aint the best but involved in everythin. By a good distance Wayne Rooney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

argh, i think Tevez is a better player tbh, but i think Rooney is more important to man uniteds team!!!! how can i pick just one??? Atari jaguar it is i guess

Usually both but when its one or the other Im gonna say Tevez. I just prefer Tevez overall as a striker because he can finish better than Rooney, he has always delivered at the most vital times this year for United and he has equal workrate to Rooney. But at the start of the year when Rooney was injured he looked isolated up on hsi own whereas Rooney can play better on his own and create some chances...but he cant finish them whereas Tevez can!! A hard one but Ill go Tevez. Still love Rooney though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Tevez the terrier for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I would have rooney in every day of the week tho.

mis read post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Rooney every time for me, neither of them are great finishers imo, but I think Rooney offers that little bit extra. Also Utd havent lost a league game when Rooney has played, hardly conicedental. That said Tevez has been fantastic this season and has come up with some vital goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Tevez can finish his dinner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Tevez is as good as finisher as Rooney is, both are sub-par, largely imo due to Tevez playing 2 years of football non-stop and Rooney having had 3 serious injuries this year.

Rooney is amazing for United. Fergie said it himself. If Rooney keeps playing the way he's playing, even with his lack of goal scoring, Fergie would be extremely happy.

Rooney offers so much more than his finishing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'd definitely go with Rooney. The guy is an exceptional talent and has the heart of a lion. A future Man Utd and England captain I reckon.

Tevez is a great player and I wouldn't put him that much behind Rooney but I think Tevez is slightly less consistent.

PHB wrote: »

Rooney offers so much more than his finishing.

Tevez is hardly in the team for the sole reason that he's a lethal finisher PHB??

• Advertisement

No he's not, but thats where the recent criticism towards him has come from.

PHB wrote: »
    No he's not, but thats where the recent criticism towards him has come from.

But for me Tevez offers just as much as Rooney in the other areas. But Tevez is a better finisher.

Criticism of Rooneys finishing is justified, he's been rubbish. I have absolutely no faith that he'll score when he's one on one with a goalkeeper.

What and Tevez has been better? Yes he scored us a last minute goal, but he missed an absolute sitter set up by Rooney earlier on.

Tevez may have scored more, but his finishing isn't that great this season either (both will get better next season)

I don't think Tevez offers as much as Rooney in other areas. Just look what happens when Rooney doesn't play!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

Why pick one when you have both? :D

They are both great players....I'd go for Tevez.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Love them both, but would go for Rooney every time, once he improves his finishing he will be within top 5 players in the world IMO :)
    Same with Anderson in a few years ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I'd go for Rooney tbh... But it's a close one. They're probably the hardest workers in the squad.

Smegball wrote: »
    Love them both, but would go for Rooney every time, once he improves his finishing he will be within top 5 players in the world IMO :)
    Same with Anderson in a few years ;)

What finishing? Anderson has scored 5 professional goals in his whole career!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,430 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

NANANANANANANANAIMNOTLISTENINGNANANANANANANA

In fairness though, he hasn't had much of a career yet - was snapped up quickly by Porto, then broke his leg. Wasn't back long before we signed him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

wat you talking about Tauren, he's a GOD?!! have ya not read the Utd thread?!

Mr Alan wrote: »

He is a god but the G in God certainly doesnt stand for "goalscorer"!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,430 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Mr Alan wrote: »

Maybe a discworld god...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

If I had blank chequebook and a choice of signing either, I'd go for Tevez. I can't put a finger on why, but I've always been a huge fan of his.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

If I had blank chequebook and a choice of signing either, I'd go for Tevez. I can't put a finger on why, but I've always been a huge fan of his.
    pickarooney pickatevez! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Rooney.

He's a more influential presence to have on the pitch.

It's a bit like Ferdinand or Vidic at the back. Vidic is without doubt a top centre back but Ferdinand's leadership from the back makes him a more valuable player to have for the good of the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭irishpartyboy

Rooney is the ultimate team player, sacrificing his personal ambitions and resulting goal tally.. Rooney rarely goes missing or gets taken off. His finishing needs to improve.

Tevez is a decent player, he works very hard and gives it everything... but if it was me, I wouldn't sign him permanently.. he's not a great finisher either. He's been missing in quite a few games recently. Although he has come up with some crucial goals.

Rooney for me, 100%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

mmm really hard one. I went for rooney becuase he's been playign more regularly and he really contributes tonnes to united game. Tevez has been immense though. Some HUGE goals aswell as performances.

BTW: Just listening to the guardian podcast and one of them calls Tevez a rich mans Dirk Kuyt and he will never cut it at the highest. :D
    I actually heard someone say that to Ronnie Whelan on the radio before too, Ronnie actually laughed at him and said he was delusional :p

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

pickarooney pickatevez! :)

Damn, such a glorious punning chance missed. I feel (Diego) forlorn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

Rooney because he puts it in all over the pitch,Tevez is similar because they are both hard workers but ive never seen anything like Rooneys CL debut and someone who can do that warrants a spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Sorry should have been more clear, I meant Anderson would be within Top 5 players in the world within 5 years, but yes he def needs to improve his finishing :pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Did Dunphy jus say "Rooney, the greatest player in the world".
    Therein lies your answer :D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

kerash wrote: »
    Did Dunphy jus say "Rooney, the greatest player in the world".
    Therein lies your answer :D;)

he did,the man is an idiot tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭weemcd

To say Rooney is the best player in United/England/The World is a completely daft statement, surely said by dunphy to increase sales of whatever scholes biased tabloid column he's pushing out the next morning...

While i appreciate the work rate put by Rooney in every game I miss the things you can actually quantify - Goals. At the end of the day the man is a striker, and the main attribute I would mark a striker on is goals scored, and sadly rooney doesn't compare favorably to my favorite ex-united player - RVN. One can argue they differ in position, they are a different type of payer, Ruud was about getting goals and there was no other dimension to his game, etc.etc. In my own personal opinion I know who I'd rather have.

Then we come to tevez (or tapas, me and my mates have nicknamed him), in the last world cup he was absolutely fantastic for the argies, he's starting regularly beside messi, and keeping Crespo out of a position. At United he's saved us a number of times this season with important goals, and is showing signs of turning into a fantastic player for us. He can easily turn into a 20+ goal man a season, a position I sadly can't see Rooney ever filling.

Tough decision, but judging what I've seen, and how I imagine he will improve as a STRIKER first and foremost, I'd have Tevez.

Advertisement