Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Perfect Credit Card for Travelling???

Options
  • 23-04-2008 1:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

Folks,

Im looking for advice. im thinking of changing credit card before i travel for a year (non europe). I currently have a AIB student Mastercard with €400 in debt on it. I have been looking and i think that the PTSB ICE card is very good and will suit me when travelling however i have a few questions;

1. Is the PTSB card great for travelling (i.e low cash advance fee's, low non-euro transactions)
    2. I have a mastercard and PTSB ICE is visa, will that cause problems switchin the balance?
    3. I am not too familiar with balance transfers costs, if i transfer from AIB MasterC to PTSB Visa how much interest do i pay?
    4. Do i have to open a PTSB current account to get the ICE card?
    5. Does anyone recommend a better option? should i stay with mastercard? maybe a BOI 2in1 card??

i know about the credit card comparison sites so pls dont list em!

Thanks in advance for your help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,168 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

i'd say ptsb ice is one of the better cards in general, not just travelling.

balance transfer to the ptsb card is 2.9% for six months. if in credit while travelling no fees. otherwise i think its 1.5% of the euro value of the transaction, minimum 2e. no charges if you miss a payment or go over your limit.

you don't need a current account and you'll still have access to it online.

visa might be better option in general if you're going to obscure places.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Halifax has similar rates to ICE - and has 6 months interest free on Balance transfers and purchases. (It is Visa too)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Visa card is accepted in more places and can be used to withdraw cash more so than MC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

Watch out for the additional charge for transactions on non Euro purchases. over a year, these could really add up. Range from approx. 1% to 3%.
    AIB charge one of highest charges (can't remember which one of the cards has it). Should be listed in all their T+C. Called something like Foreign Exchange Currency charge

Advertisement