Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ADSL Splitter/Mastersocket

Options
  • 23-04-2008 1:47pm

Hi just a quick request. I'm sure someone must have this setup already.

Anyway, my current situation at my mastersocket is a joke, with one of those ADSL splitters hanging precariously from it. The position of the socket means that the splitter has to hang from it, and over time, this results in the socket breaking (3 in 2 years).

I was thinking of a solution when I found this

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=45725&criteria=adsl%20splitter&doy=23m4

This would work perfectly, IF we had a UK phone connection.

So after a decent root around, on Peats and Maplin and Google, I have hit a brick wall.

What I need is this :
    a94cq_new.jpg

with an Rj45 socket instead of the UK phone sockets.

Anyone any idea where to pick one up?

Thanks

Emmet

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

If you buy one of those sockets from Maplin, pick up a BT phone/modem cable too, that'll connect to the BT style phone socket with a standard RJ45 for phones and modems at the other end. You should be able to get one of those cables from Maplin, Argos, PC World, Currys or Dixons as all their phone equipment always come with BT cables.

On a side note, what are you doing to the current cable/socket that you've broken 3 in 2 years? I've a similar setup for 3 years now and not a single problem, and the socket I have is actually hanging off the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

jor el wrote: »
    with a standard RJ45 for phones and modems at the other end

I think you might mean RJ11, same goes for OP.

degsie wrote: »
    I think you might mean RJ11, same goes for OP.

RJ11 is the English standard phone socket..

not Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

RJ11 is the English standard phone socket..

not Irish

sorry, wrong...

Read here

apologies for my ignorance...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

apologies for my ignorance...

Ask your ISP, they might have a spare faceplate

Its not just the faceplate, I like the tidyness that Dual socket would give...

Its not just a faceplate, its a Splitter too

Its not just the faceplate, I like the tidyness that Dual socket would give...

Its not just a faceplate, its a Splitter too

Yes that's an ADSL Faceplate splitter.

On one side you connect the phone and on the other the router. They are commonly use by eircom.

Your ISP should have a few spares.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I asked 2 eircom linesmen in Dublin the other day about them, but they didn't have the splitter master socket, though they knew what I was on about. One of them mentioned trying phonewatch to see if they could sort me out...

I've been given ordinary master sockets by linesmen. Maybe they just don't use them except for phonewatch?? I think the best thing to get one off the internet meant for England, then using a little adaptor to connect the phone to the splitter.

Your ISP should have them, and if they dont they can ask Eircom for them.

They are normally installed by Eircom phonewatch or Eircom Technicians on Non Standard Delivery Lines.

I just took a picture of them, sorry for the quality.

• Advertisement

Eircom Broadband support - A joke
    Eircom phone support - excellent

Was bounced around about 7 calls yesterday trying to get this sorted. Eircom Broadband suggested removing all splitters and starting again... (Which I'd done a thousand times). They literally kept asking questions until they got an answer where they could blame someone else, Phonewatch in this case...

Rang Phonewatch, explained that I needed my line "split" as the alarm was affecting the internet, booked that appointment (€85!!)

Rang Eircom phone service, "Hi my mastersocket is broken, could you send someone out?" "Yes no problem, how does 10:30 tomorrow sound?" .

Eircom technician arrived at 10:29:55... Amazing. Ten minutes later, and we have a new mastersocket with ADSL splitter included..

Rang Eircom phone service, "Hi my mastersocket is broken, could you send someone out?" "Yes no problem, how does 10:30 tomorrow sound?" .

Eircom technician arrived at 10:29:55... Amazing. Ten minutes later, and we have a new mastersocket with ADSL splitter included..

Jeeeeesssuusss you are lucky to be with Eircom.. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Does anyone know an Eircom technician in Limerick that could hook me up/install the ADSL mastersocket?...course i'd pay.

Eircom Broadband support - A joke
    Eircom phone support - excellent

Was bounced around about 7 calls yesterday trying to get this sorted. Eircom Broadband suggested removing all splitters and starting again... (Which I'd done a thousand times). They literally kept asking questions until they got an answer where they could blame someone else, Phonewatch in this case...

Rang Phonewatch, explained that I needed my line "split" as the alarm was affecting the internet, booked that appointment (€85!!)

But did you request him install the dual mastersocket?, or did he jusy want to install a normal one?, did he charge you extra?

But did you request him install the dual mastersocket?, or did he jusy want to install a normal one?, did he charge you extra?

Eircom are obliged to fix any faulty mastersockets, that's what the girl told me on the phone yesterday. Its a service provided free of charge.

I just asked the technician about the adsl splitter and he said yeah, no problem and sorted it.

Eircom are obliged to fix any faulty mastersockets, that's what the girl told me on the phone yesterday. Its a service provided free of charge.

I just asked the technician about the adsl splitter and he said yeah, no problem and sorted it.

Oh really?...well the same CAN'T be said about BT:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055285341

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9 johntheboardsie

Hi Bohrio,

yes those images are of the splitter that was given to me by an eircom tech (A very knowledgeable & helpful individual), you wouldn't have a wiring diagram for it would you?

Hi Bohrio,

yes those images are of the splitter that was given to me by an eircom tech (A very knowledgeable & helpful individual), you wouldn't have a wiring diagram for it would you?

Think I do...

probably at work... send me a pm tomorrow to remind me please

http://www.reci.ie/technicalinfo/eircominterface.pdf has info on a similar one, not exaxtly the same but maybe enough for me to figure out how to wire it, but actual one would be helpful if you have it. Thanks a mil

Howdy,
    having taken several days to figure this out here is the fruit of my labour.......

Background
    I have 4 telephone extensions, a monitored alarm system, a connection to Sky and an ADSL modem. I had splitters on all extensions but not on the alarm system nor on the Sky box. My broadband from eircom has been rock solid for 3 years but for the past few weeks is dropping intermittently. I had the experience that most people seem to have with eircom broadband support, i.e. that it is You the idiot customer that is to blame, or maybe it's Osama Bin Laden, or the weakening US dollar, or unusual seasonal tidal conditions in Howth harbour, or the metal in the underwired bra that your missus wears, but it is certainly not eircom's problem. eircom (they're even breaking the grammatical rules of the English language - eircom is a proper noun and proper nouns start with a capital letter!) came to my house and ran a broadband test on the internal wiring. The test failed. After disconnecting everything from the main line the test passed, indicating that the internal wiring was causing a problem. So I rewired everything using an "ADSL Faceplate" aka "Faceplate Splitter". These are used by eircom but I am not sure if you can buy them here. The one in the attached illustration was given to me by a kindly eircom technician. It is manufactured by Pressac Communications http://www.presscomm.co.uk/. You can buy similar from www.clarity.it.

There are good explanatory articles on the use of the ADSL Faceplate at
    http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/adsl_faceplate.htm
    and at
    http://adsl.yesyes.info/modules/edito/content.php?id=1

The purpose of an ADSL faceplate is to isolate the broadband signal from all other telephone devices in the house so there can be no interference.

Attached to this post are 5 images (sorry for poor focus) showing how I have rewired my house.

I bought a 20 metre CAT 5 cable with RJ11 plugs on each end from Peats of Parnell St (Dublin) and ran this from the faceplate direct to the ADSL modem. Note that the data socket on the faceplate is an RJ45 (6 wire) but it accepts an RJ11 (4 wire) plug.

To monitor your broadband you can download a free broadband monitor from http://www.beaglesoft.com/bbmonhome.htm it's not great but does the job. Otherwise to monitor your broadband open a DOS window = press Start & then cmd, in DOS window type ping 213.94.190.194 -t (213.94.190.194 = IP address of an eircom server but any IP address will do). I am getting ping response times of approx 50 milliseconds. You may get the odd "Request timed out" but that's ok. If you get many "Request timed out" in sequence then your broadband has dropped. Timeout period of a ping request is 4 seconds so you can count how long the broadband has been gone, i.e. if you get 30 "Request timed out" then it dropped for 120 seconds.

Best of luck.

John

P.S. the bad news is that at the end of all this I still have the intermittent DSL problems but at least now I can demonstrate to eircom that the problem is not in my internal house wiring.

• Advertisement

Congratulations that is a very good job!!

Unfortunately if when you removed everything the service was steady to them it will still indicate an issue with your internal setup.

Have you tried a different router?

I suggest you getting your SNR table and compare it to your Bits per tone.

If you want to go further try to localize the problem by plugging one thing at a time until the inference shows

It could also be one of the phones...

how to get SNR & bits per tone?

how to get SNR & bits per tone?

That depends on the router

On US Robotics 93xx chipset router (like voyagers and some dlinks) is easy

You telnet the router and type

adsl info --diag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

eircom should really sell these sockets and faceplates online or distribute them to stores.

People installing BT spec'd equipment's only going to cause more confusion in the long run.

Yes Solair you are probably right. But eircom seem not to be interested in getting involved so you have to DIY. It used to be the same situation with BT in UK until 2002 when www.clarity.it (and maybe some others) got the rights to distribute the faceplate splitters.

Advertisement