Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclist killed in Cabra

Options
  • 23-04-2008 2:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭

RIP. Stay safe out there

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0423/rta.html

Cyclist dead in Cabra collision
    Wednesday, 23 April 2008 13:27

A woman has been killed in a road accident in Cabra in Dublin.

She was a cyclist and died following a collision on the Nephin Road at about midday.

The road is closed from the N3/Navan Road to the Boogeys Road. Delays should be expected.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Thoughts with her family of course.

But I don't think we need this sort of thread on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Why on earth not?
    tunney wrote: »

But I don't think we need this sort of thread on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

Sad news indeed.
    http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/breaking/2008/0423/breaking20.htm

Entirely appropriate to post on this issue here, marking both respect and solidarity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭bunnygreen

hear hear

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

very sad.
    Why on earth not?

maybe because there would be quite a few of them, and it would be too depressing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclegadabout

unionman wrote: »
    Sad news indeed.

Entirely appropriate to post on this issue here, marking both respect and solidarity.

seconded.

Sad indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I cycle Nephin Road twice a day but I don't know where the Boogeys Road is, possibly the part I don't use.
    BTW, Cabra Garda station is on the north east corner of Nephin road and Navan Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Well said. Nothing to be gained by sweeping these things under the carpet.
    unionman wrote: »
    Sad news indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Money Shot

daymobrew wrote: »
    I cycle Nephin Road twice a day but I don't know where the Boogeys Road is, possibly the part I don't use.
    BTW, Cabra Garda station is on the north east corner of Nephin road and Navan Road.

There is a park in Cabra near the Nephin road known locally as the Boogeys ... not sure why, but I assume that's what it means. If you know Cabra, the park is between the humpback bridge and the roundabout.

Money Shot wrote: »
    There is a park in Cabra near the Nephin road known locally as the Boogeys ... not sure why, but I assume that's what it means. If you know Cabra, the park is between the humpback bridge and the roundabout.
    The bridge at Broombridge train station? Or on Ratoath Road?
    I know the park opposite St Declan's School but I don't know any others off Nephin Road.
    I'm sure I'll see some flowers when I pass by tomorrow morning.
    unionman wrote:
    I wish there was a way to know what happened so that we could all learn from it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

long time lurker, first time posting.

i've just passed the scene in the last 20 minutes and it's a shocking sight. it looks like the driver of the truck was taking a left at the garda station but didn't notice the cyclist on his left. the bike was bent beyond belief ... I don't want to imagine what happened to the cyclist.

my condolences to the family.

as an occasional cyclist, and the husband of a girl who cycles to work I confirmed the reason I worry every time my wife takes to the road.

stay safe people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

I saw a woman being hit by a Taxi beside Harcourt street this morning too.
    Thankfully she was ok.

Sympathies to her family and friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭VickBack

I didn't even know it had happened until I got a text just now about it, and it happens to be the mother of one of my friends.

I am so sorry for him and the rest of his family.

Sad story. My sympathy to her family.
    studiorat wrote: »
    I saw a woman being hit by a Taxi beside Harcourt street this morning too.
    Thankfully she was ok.

Sympathies to her family and friends.

Hit how - by an opening door or was the taxi turning into her?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Another female cyclist killed by a truck turning left, the coroner has several times asked for blindspot mirrors to be mandated for HGVs. I read recently in london there was real concern for the number of female cyclists being killed by left turning vehicles. Men tend to jump the lights and areas a result more visable to trucks.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article1695668.ece

preilly79 wrote: »
    i've just passed the scene in the last 20 minutes and it's a shocking sight. it looks like the driver of the truck was taking a left at the garda station but didn't notice the cyclist on his left. the bike was bent beyond belief ... I don't want to imagine what happened to the cyclist.

my condolences to the family.

as an occasional cyclist, and the husband of a girl who cycles to work I confirmed the reason I worry every time my wife takes to the road.
    My condolences too.
    This scenario is covered in the new Rules of the Road, page 158. I wish that the woman was aware of the advice.
    Self education is very, very important for us all. Yesterday an experienced cyclist here recommended the CycleCraft book. There is a copy in Blanchardstown library.
    Do not take up a position on the "inside" of a large vehicle out of view of the driver. Instead, stay behind if the large vehicle has stopped at a junction with the intention of turning left.
    These types of incidents always sadden me. I'm really stuck for words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Boggins127

Very very sad news blindspots should be manditory........Unbelivable what i've heard about this accident:( my father works with this womans husband I am lost for words :(

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

Very sad news. I'm sure all of our thoughts are with her family.

Someone made the point that it was a shame that she had'nt read the hihjway code. It is. Getting squeezed by left turning vehicles, hit by cycling too close to cars is a real danger and one that may not be appreciated by the occasional cyclist.

I think a fitting response to this tragedy, and the one last month in Clontarf would be to have a seperate sticky thread with a distillation of road advice. Obviously would be interactive and I think that even those of us who cycle everywhere would benefit

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Was out cycling yesterday and my friend nearly got taken out by someone trying to undertake via the cycle lane. People really need to be aware of cyclists and stop taking stupid risks.

Condolences to the family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Very sad news. Our thoughts are with the lady and all her friends and family. Ar dheis Dé go raibh sí.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

i really think somthing should be done about making cyclists aware of stuff like this, maybe shops giving out booklets with each bike sold , somthing like this.
    its madness people cycling dublins streets with no experience,ill equiped, granted HGVs have a sign saying dont pass on the left:o
    (not saying this is the story with this poor woman.)
    terrible what happened all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

I have no idea of the actual details of what happens, but I do know that people should try cycle on *paths* as much as possible, and there needs to be a massive effort into making dublin bike friendly.

I'm a casual cyclist, as in I have no care for it, but I enjoy getting out for long cycles and after all its my form of transport...this is purely my decision, I don't feel safe on roads.

I have no idea of the actual details of what happens, but I do know that people should try cycle on paths as much as possible, and there needs to be a massive effort into making dublin bike friendly.

no way is cycling on paths better, the only thing less unpredictable that traffic is pedestrians:eek:

but yes the government seriously needs to cop on!

Do you seriously not get intimidated when a roaring lorry is speeding behind you?

Do you seriously not get intimidated when a roaring lorry is speeding behind you?

nope, because i know its there and i know how to deal with it... i.e i dont cycle too close to the kerb, i always have room to move if i need it.

tbh if you cant handle traffic , you shouldnt be cycling until you get confidence in your control and ability.

sure if a roaring lorry hits you in a car your screwed.
    you crash in a car at 60kmph..your screwed, yet even my granny does this:D

cycling on paths is 100% illegal, and it gives cyclists a bad name, IMO pedestrians with their total oblivion to the enviroment around them are 1000000000000000 times more likely to cause you a spill than a car.you try cycle down grafton street at 3pm saturaday and try to predict what people will do , whilst maintaing a steady speed and not stopping once, if you can do this you can deal with ANYTHING imo.

the more you cycle the more you get used to stuff, and know what and what not to do, and have the confidence to take control of traffic and situations.
    experienced couriers are a good example of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Cycling on the path is illegal and dangerous. But that's irrelevant to the thread.

Sincere sympathies to the family, it's very hard to imagine how one would feel hearing that someone from their family died just cycling on their way home/ to work.

Gav

• Registered Users Posts: 20,976 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I have no idea of the actual details of what happens, but I do know that people should try cycle on *paths* as much as possible

And then get creamed by people pulling out of driveways. The road is far safer in most instances.

While it might feel intimidating, you're generally least at risk from traffic coming up behind you as they can clearly see you. You're most at risk from traffic that's alongside you or traffic at junctions as they may not often see you.

Anyway, condolences to the woman and her family. Such a tragic loss of life. I know that road well also, makes me think of all the times I raced down it. Sad to think that all it took was sitting at a traffic light to end it all.

Ok I don't want to sidetrack but I cycle on a path(up hill) every day and not once have I ever been stopped, in fact I never even knew it was illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

And here's me trying to get into cycling :( Does that rule, "keep some distance between you and the kerb" apply to cycling on all roads or just very busy city centre areas? I would assume that on a normal road with very few turn offs that ye wud stick as close to the kerb as possible to allow people to pass ye easily?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,976 ✭✭✭✭Stark

That would apply on all roads I presume. Like the previous poster said, if you're too close to the kerb, then you've no room for error. There's no harm in making a driver think about having to overtake you. In fact, if the road is too narrow for cars to overtake you safely, then it's often best to cycle in the middle of the lane so that noone tries to force their way past you.

Advertisement