Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclist killed in Cabra

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Sean02

Another shocking accident involving a cyclist. My condolences to her family. lets not pre judge the cause at this time, for both people it was a terrible tradegy.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭michaelm

How about we ask the Irish Haulage Association to distribute a simple sticker (for the dashboards of trucks) warning drivers to watch out for cyclists when turning left. It would at least be a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Very Sad. Most people I work with tell me they'd never cycle in Dublin. Maybe they're right. With no adequate cycling facilities, L drivers and SUVs, plus of course scumbags throwing things at you from their cars.

My thoughts go to the family of the victims, of all cycling victims of the roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Money Shot

daymobrew wrote: »
    The bridge at Broombridge train station? Or on Ratoath Road?
    I know the park opposite St Declan's School but I don't know any others off Nephin Road.
    I'm sure I'll see some flowers when I pass by tomorrow morning. I wish there was a way to know what happened so that we could all learn from it.

The park along the Ratoath road, not sure what the school is called. It's after broombridge along the ratoath road, before you come to the Nephin Road / Fausaugh road roundabout. There are houses opposite. That park is known as the Boogeys for some reason - I assume either that part of the nephin road or the ratoath road is known locally as the boogeys road ! I've never heard anyone mention a road, but everyone I know in Finglas calls that park the boogeys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclegadabout

I have no idea of the actual details of what happens, but I do know that people should try cycle on *paths* as much as possible, and there needs to be a massive effort into making dublin bike friendly.

This is indicative of people's lack of knowledge. It saddens me.
    It's dangerous out there, you need to know what to do and how do it.

I'll stop now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭bobtjustice

Very sad....how many more people have to die before the government, motorists and cyclists alike start taking safety seriously.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭proteus

And here's me trying to get into cycling :( Does that rule, "keep some distance between you and the kerb" apply to cycling on all roads or just very busy city centre areas? I would assume that on a normal road with very few turn offs that ye wud stick as close to the kerb as possible to allow people to pass ye easily?

Many Car/Cyclist accidents occur due to this behaviour where cyclists are moving through traffic in a manner different than cars. There is a type of cycling called "vehicular cycling" that analyses this behaviour and has some good recommendations for safer cycling. It generally shows that in traffic light situations it is safer for the cyclist to act like a car and assume a position in the middle of the lane. Motorists who are negotiating a left turn are used to dealing with vehicles that are directly in front of them, its an automatic response while driving while looking into a side mirror to check for a cyclist while turning left is not and in my opinion, will never be practised by the vast majority of motorists.

Link:http://www.bicyclinglife.com/PracticalCycling/VCIntro.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

Money Shot wrote: »
    There is a park in Cabra near the Nephin road known locally as the Bogeys ... not sure why, but I assume that's what it means. If you know Cabra, the park is between the humpback bridge and the roundabout.

My sincere condolences to that poor lady who died so tragically.
    The park known as the 'the bogeys' is a place where the children from St.Declans school opposite the park hang out during lunch and after school. All the school kids were not allowed to walk on the Navan Rd after the incident. They were detoured around the back of the bogeys. There is a lovely community centre in the bogeys (5 aside and gym). The bike was was completely destroyed in the unfortunate incident. My taught also go out to the lorry driver who hopefully will not blame himself for this tragedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Ruadhrimac1

Money Shot wrote: »
    The park along the Ratoath road, not sure what the school is called. It's after broombridge along the ratoath road, before you come to the Nephin Road / Fausaugh road roundabout. There are houses opposite. That park is known as the Boogeys for some reason - I assume either that part of the nephin road or the ratoath road is known locally as the boogeys road ! I've never heard anyone mention a road, but everyone I know in Finglas calls that park the boogeys.

I'm a local type and the history is that once upon a long ago there was a factory based in this park, the formal name is Pope John Paul Park, that used to make low loading trolleys or "bogies" for local firms such as Batchelors. This then became known as the informal name for the area and now the park. There is no Bogey's Road, that's just poor journalism, but having attended St. Declan's I unfortunately had a few run ins at "four o'clock in the Bogeys".

Also, as a cyclist myself, may whoever's up there look after that poor woman's soul.
    The government have blood on their hands as they've known about this problem for some time and appear to have done nothing about it.
    For shame.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Money Shot

I'm a local type and the history is that once upon a long ago there was a factory based in this park, the formal name is Pope John Paul Park, that used to make low loading trolleys or "bogies" for local firms such as Batchelors. This then became known as the informal name for the area and now the park. There is no Bogey's Road, that's just poor journalism, but having attended St. Declan's I unfortunately had a few run ins at "four o'clock in the Bogeys".

Thanks for that - always wondered why it was called the Bogies as it was such a strange name. To be honest, I had assumed it was something to do with some historic ghost or murder story and kids would think that's where the bogey man lived.

P.S The goverment (the brilliant bertie) never, ever do anything about anything until they absolutely have to. I pray Cowen is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

i always tought it was a football thing, when we play there we call it the bogeys, i presumed it was because it was always against bogey teams who are more intrested in a brawl then a match:confused:

but this is miles off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

The government have blood on their hands as they've known about this problem for some time and appear to have done nothing about it.
    I was reviewing my TrafficWatch reports. Of the 125 calls I've made since September 2006, the Gardai have only contacted me for 46 of them (that's only 36%).
    If I had loads of free time then I'd break the inaction by station.

Topical: One of my first reports:
    When: Tuesday 26 September 2006 at 8:33am
    Where: Eastbound Navan Road at Nephin Road junction
    Car details: HIDDEN
    Incident: Driver broke red lights during pedestrian sequence as he turned left from Navan Road onto Nephin Road towards Cabra.
    TW report: Tuesday 26 Sept 2006, 23:06
    Garda followup: NONE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

That's one for the newspapers, I'd say, Damo.
    I was reviewing my TrafficWatch reports. Of the 125 calls I've made since September 2006, the Gardai have only contacted me for 46 of them (that's only 36%).
    If I had loads of free time then I'd break the inaction by station.

Topical: One of my first reports:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

That's one for the newspapers, I'd say, Daymo.
    I do plan to collect all the ones relating to Blanchardstown (the worst station for followup) and go to the Super or Sargent there to ask him to explain why.
    Maybe the local free paper, Community Voice, will accept an article from me on the issue. Maybe I could write one on cycling safety, using the advice from this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Callous as it may sound, this particular incident may well be "newsworthy" enough for you to get your point about that particular junction into the national papers - at the very least on the letters page - and from there make your broader argument about the dangers facing cyclists (coupled with the relative lack of attention given to them by the authorities).
    I do plan to collect all the ones relating to Blanchardstown (the worst station for followup) and go to the Super or Sargent there to ask him to explain why.
    Maybe the local free paper, Community Voice, will accept an article from me on the issue. Maybe I could write one on cycling safety, using the advice from this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Friend of a friend told me how this woman died, a complete horror story altogether.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

We had to declare a cyclist dead a few years ago, similar story, large truck turning left. It was really upsetting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

The problem with the reporting of these accidents (of any kind) is that you never know what actually happened and thus are unable to learn from them and avoid a similar situation. Is it a case that the cyclist went up the inside of the truck, or the truck overtook the cyclist etc. The only lesson I 'm getting is stay as far away from trucks as you can, and at lights take up a whole lane so no one can pull around you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

The case I was involved with the cyclist had stopped close to the curb. He was in a left turn only lane . A truck overtook him in the lane and then got the signal to turn left. Somehow the cyclist was crushed..

It seems to me that most cyclists are killed by HGVs in Urban areas, the sooner that 4 axel trucks are banned the better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

michaelm wrote: »
    How about we ask the Irish Haulage Association to distribute a simple sticker (for the dashboards of trucks) warning drivers to watch out for cyclists when turning left. It would at least be a start.

Maybe 2 stickers, one for the dashboard of the truck, and one for the back left corner of the truck to tell cyclists not to undertake!

Sad to hear this, for the driver and the lady, lets hope something good becomes of it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If the cyclist under took the truck while the truck was indicating left and stopped in a position where she could not see the driver in the mirror then she would be at fault.

If the truck caught up with an already stopped cyclist and then turned left , then the drivers fault.

If the truck driver had overtaken the cyclist just before the turn and not checked for where she disappeared to..
    Or if the truck wasn't indicating left..
    Then the truck driver would also be responsible in part

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 carrie73

I came upon this accident seconds after it happened and it was indeed horrific. I was in pieces by the time I got home.
    My thoughts and prayers are with this ladies family at this dreadful time.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Sean02

Two things make this junction a potential blackspot for cyclist. Many of the boy's cycling to St Damiens School from the navan road direction have absolutly no concept of safety awareness as they turn into Nephin Road and aproach the school. Secondly the double yellow lines should be extended by another 30 metres opposite the Garda Station. If it was dublin 4 it would have a network of cycle paths on account of the number of schools and volume of traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Limestone1

carrie73 wrote: »
    I came upon this accident seconds after it happened and it was indeed horrific. I was in pieces by the time I got home.
    My thoughts and prayers are with this ladies family at this dreadful time.

There was an appeal on the evening news yesterday for witnesses to this accident to please contact Blanchardstown Gardai.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 carrie73

Yeah I saw that, but I didn't see what happened, just the aftermath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Chunky Monkey

Oh no that poor woman's family :(

I used to live on the road after that and I'd cycle into the city via the Navan Road. I was terrified to cycle from 6am onwards as there isn't a cycling lane the whole way, there are are lot of trucks and buses going that way and cars parked on the side of the road.

People speed down Nephin Road to bypass traffic to the Halfway House roundabout. It is very dangerous there.

Advertisement