Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transport Tickets ?

Options
  • 23-04-2008 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭

Lads, I have mainly only used the day trip options over the last few years , the odd overnight stay with the queen etc. Im just wondering what the best option is for travel tickets to last the weekend, ie Sat to Monday travelling from Gatwick to City Centre,out to WHL, and then back to Gatwick on the Monday.

Is there a ticket that lasts the 2/3 days ? Cheapest option possible obviously, as I dont want the lads coming with me getting stung too badly for tickets ???

I remember getting a 2 day travelcard before, would I be right ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭yiddo

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Lads, I have mainly only used the day trip options over the last few years , the odd overnight stay with the queen etc. Im just wondering what the best option is for travel tickets to last the weekend, ie Sat to Monday travelling from Gatwick to City Centre,out to WHL, and then back to Gatwick on the Monday.

Is there a ticket that lasts the 2/3 days ? Cheapest option possible obviously, as I dont want the lads coming with me getting stung too badly for tickets ???

I remember getting a 2 day travelcard before, would I be right ?

gatwick express do a special 4 for the price of 2 return ticket. details here https://www.gatwickexpress.com/content.asp?SID={6DA935CA-C6BE-4AAC-BC89-59C3D5DCB15A}&pageid=81

1 day off peak travel card is 5.90 zones 1-4 and according to http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/guide-to-fares-and-tickets-08-01-02.pdf it's cheaper to buy 3 individual daily travel cards rather than the 3 day one.
    #If the three days you are travelling on
    include a Saturday, Sunday or Public Holiday,
    it may be cheaper to buy a combination
    of Day Travelcards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭John W

yiddo wrote: »
    gatwick express do a special 4 for the price of 2 return ticket. details here https://www.gatwickexpress.com/content.asp?SID={6DA935CA-C6BE-4AAC-BC89-59C3D5DCB15A}&pageid=81

1 day off peak travel card is 5.90 zones 1-4 and according to http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/guide-to-fares-and-tickets-08-01-02.pdf it's cheaper to buy 3 individual daily travel cards rather than the 3 day one.

British rail is not an exact science - although the above is true - it is always worth asking the ticket desk for the best deal, that day and for the number of people who are travailing etc. For example, they do a 4 for the price of 2 (off peak) from a lot of destinations and on different types of trains (not just Gatwick express which is the most expencive, but quicker route), IF and only if you are all travailing together (like at each others side) weird I know, but true - apparently they can stop you and ask where the rest of your party is if you are not all together!
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Fair play thanks men.
    We might just get the gatwick express return tickets, four for 2, and then get a seperate day ticket for match day. I'll ask them at the desk on the day too just to clarify.

Where are you staying? if you can get to liverpool street easy enough, you can get a overground train directly to WHL station takes 7 minutes if you get the direct train and then only 5 min walk to the ground - and they should do that 4 for 2 deal on the that train also!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Staying just off Oxford Street, so should be handy enough to get to WHL from there.

The game wont mean much but the session will be mighty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭yiddo

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Staying just off Oxford Street, so should be handy enough to get to WHL from there.

The game wont mean much but the session will be mighty.

On the Monday and assuming the gang is all still together ;)it might work out cheaper to get a taxi or taxis Victoria from the hotel seeing as the single fare on the tube is £4.00 per person.

Enjoy the weekend and the game!

yiddo wrote: »
    On the Monday and assuming the gang is all still together ;)it might work out cheaper to get a taxi or taxis Victoria from the hotel seeing as the single fare on the tube is £4.00 per person.

Enjoy the weekend and the game!

Thats what we did, we jumped in a taxi to Liverpool street (7 quid between us) and then got the 4 for 2 deal on the train to WHL - Took about half an hour for the whole trip (more drinking time) and only cost us about a fiver each !:) We were staying in Travel Lodge Holborn (just off Oxford St).

Advertisement