Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Halo3 or Bioshock or Orange box

• 23-04-2008 4:30pm

I cant decide! what would you go for???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Holy crap. What a tough choice. Honestly I don't think I could pick between those three, they're all great. I'd vote for Bioshock, but it has no multiplayer and limited replay value, so as much as it pains me to say it (*sniff*) if you can borrow or rent that you're okay.

Orange Box I don't have for 360 but PC but it's just fantastic. Have you played Half-Life 2 before?

Halo 3 is really good, but mostly if you plan to play co-op with friends, or play it online.

Very tough choice though, are you sure you can't just get all three? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I think Koneko pretty much covers it. The only question is: single player or multiplayer?!

Bioshock for single player, Halo 3 for multiplayer. Orange Box has a good mix, it's the most varied of the three. And it's probably the one that'll last the longest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Bioshock
    Orange Box
    Halo 3

In that order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Orange Box, Halo 3, Bioshock in that order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

I haven't played Bioshock at all. So this may be biased on the other two. But Halo seems too linear. I'd stick with the Orange Box. That Portal game will suck the living time out of you. Such an easy premise!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

I'm just playing through Halo 3 at the moment and while it's fun it's not as good as Bioshock was. Haven't played Orange box yet but I'd defo go Bioshock above Halo 3. If it's online you're after though maybe Halo 3 to win. If you haven't played COD 4 however, that trumps the pack!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,530 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

chin_grin wrote: »
    That Portal game will suck the living time out of you...
    ... for about 6 hours! Still, its a sublime 6 hours of entertainment - fantastic game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

Agree with DJKeough. Get COD if you havn't got it. The single players is fantastic and it's my favourite online multiplayer game.

Halo 3's single player, well, I didn't like it. Quite samely and I'd no intrest in the plot. Online it's great for a while, but I found of got sick of it very quickly. And I reckon there's more gob****e, singing-down-the-mic, tossbags on there than anywhere else.

Havn't played Orange box or Bioshock, but have seen BS in action round my mates. Looks pretty original! Got great review too. No online though, i think. Mght be wrong.

What about saving the cash for GTA4?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Orange Box, Halo 3, Bioshock in that order.

i concur

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

COD4 beats the lot by a mile...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Keith186 wrote: »
    COD4 beats the lot by a mile...
    lol doubt that.

go orange box (5 games in 1 and not a single dull moment in any of them).
    bioshock (took a good few ideas from an excellent game and watered them down :p still a decent enough shooter).
    COD4 (i enjoyed it, not exactly ground breaking but an enjoyable 8 or so hours).
    halo (i'd only buy if there was only one fps game left in the world and needed to play an fps to live).

but that's just my opinon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

In this order: Bioshock, Orange Box, Halo 3

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭speedfreak

half life 2 is the only game i've played through 3 times! had it for xbox and bought orange box for 360. deffo deffo recommend it, great value and great selection of games. as posters say above portal is v. good. loved Bioshock also - v. atmospheric with great gameplay and should be your next buy after Orange Box. For me halo 3 a distant third

(p.s. there is no cake)

Cremo wrote: »
    lol doubt that.

go orange box (5 games in 1 and not a single dull moment in any of them).
    bioshock (took a good few ideas from an excellent game and watered them down :p still a decent enough shooter).
    COD4 (i enjoyed it, not exactly ground breaking but an enjoyable 8 or so hours).
    halo (i'd only buy if there was only one fps game left in the world and needed to play an fps to live).

but that's just my opinon.

cod4 is 10 times the game any of the ones in the list are

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

We'll if you are looking for an RTS game, then all of them are crap.

My point being, it rather depends on what you are looking for in a game. My knee jerk reaction would be "Orange Box, and its not even close". I've played and own all three. I'll give you my 2c.

Halo 3: Single player is not much more then Halo 1/2. If online FPS are you thing, its almost de rigeur to own it. Personally, the game shines most at my mates regular lan sessions. 3 Xboxen, 12 people and unlimited ammo. More fun then should be legal.

Bio Shock: Awesome premise for a FPS. Good atmosphere and story. No online to speak of but really great single player. If you like the 20's you'll love this retro feeling game.

Orange Box: Basically, if you like FPS (as seems likely) and you havent played HL2 then you should buy this game. You should also be taken outside and beaten thoroughly as a disgrace to all FPS players. I will proceed as if you have played HL2 to hide your potential embarrassment. :) Portal is the next best game in this box set and is worth the price alone. Given a choice between playing through Portal or Halo3 again, I'd take Portal every time but don't expect to be rocket jumping or lobbing grenades. Its not that kind of game. I didnt play Team Fortress and don't play much online these days so you will have to make up your own mind on that. Episodes 1 and 2 are more of the same from HL2. Thats normally a BAD thing, in this case its like saying you will be getting ANOTHER blowjob. And like, who wants more of that eh?

Overall, I would say Orange Box is yer only man, but if online rocket-fests are you're thing you should pick up Halo. Bioshock is not as well executed as HL2 and not an online shooter like Halo so it suffers in competition with those two. Its still an awesome game but you have yet to really get the standards of the genre before you start into genre-redefining games...

Hope that helps!

DeV.

I can only speak for what I've played, but I'd go for Halo 3 - a great one player game but X-Box live is where it really shines (though the achievements for online will drive you up the wall!).

From what I've seen, Bioshock also looks great, very atmospheric.

To my regret, I've yet to play the Orange box, but a friend of mine swears by it...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,698 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

For value of money and entertainment, The Orange Box is by far your best bet: the HL2 saga thus far is the pinnacle of single-player FPS achievements, Portal is the greatest game of last year (and the funniest), and TF2 is one of the most original, different and fun online shooters.

Next in line is Bioshock which is a terrific experience - an intelligent story, very cool gameplay and some of the most well realised art / sound design in gaming history.

Halo 3: probably echo the sentiments of everyone else. Single player fun but throw-away (some great moments but alot of dullness and repetition), but multiplayer very good (or at least it was until CoD4 destroyed it in every respect). Just don't buy it for the SP.

So the Orange Box if you were to make a difficult choice and choose but one, but Bioshock is well worth your time too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

The thing is, all three are pretty much 'must have games' if you own an XBox.
    So, in my opinion, you could do it two ways:
    1) Goodly goodness:
    Buy Bioshock first, you'll fly through it because it's brilliant and you won't be able to turn it off. It has no multiplayer so trade it in for Orange Box and play the hell out of that. When that's done, you should be able to pick up Halo 3 for a good price.

Or

2) Worse to best:
    IMO, Halo 3 is the weakest in the bunch. Still, it has to be played and experienced so pick it up as cheap as you can second hand. Who knows, you might even have enough change for Bioshock on the same day, that should be quite cheap at this stage to pick up second hand. Play them both and enjoy them. Then, trade them both in for the magnificence of Orange Box and bask in it's sublime glow. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Phaetonman

They are all great games but all kind of flawed. I found the single player games in them all a bit tedious. Go here, shoot this etc.

Sorry guys i should have said this earlier!! the main thing im lookin for is a good OFFLINE co-op with freinds! the only thing that disapointed me about cod4 was there was no 2 player co-op that me and a mate could play on the same computer! Can you play co-op in halo without going online i.e just playing it with a mate??

Now it gets hard! ive decided to get 2 of the 3! im going to get halo for multiplayer but what about 1 of the other 2 SOLELY for single player??

• Advertisement

bioshock for 1p

by a mile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Buh, multplayer = halo3
    single player I can finish in one sitting thats fantastic = bioshock
    exellent single player that will take me an age to finish all games = orange box

Theres no real fair comparison tbh

Advertisement