Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Luca Toni

• 23-04-2008 4:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭

Just listening to the Guardian podcast and they were talking about Luca Toni at Bayern.

Apparently his salary is euro10 million a year!!!!! Which is among if not the highest salary in football. Apparently scored 35 in 41 this season.

Have to say i've only seen him play for Bayern a few times but does anyone think he's that good? I mean he's on more than Ronaldo, Messi etc etc.

Would he cut it in the premiership? I assume only Chelshi could really take on that salary so does anyone see a move for him if Drogba leaves?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

He is a decent player alright, a late bloomer seeing as he was 26/27 before he was bought by a Serie A team. Don't think I'd pay him 10 million Euro a year mind you, but 35 goals in 41 games is a pretty decent return. Basically if you're looking for the stereotypical big hulking enthusiastic target man to play up front, he's ideal.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

He's the Mickey Quinn of the Bundesliga.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

One of the very best finishers you'll find, on a par with Van Nistelrooy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

He's a beast. The reason he commands that salary is because of his scoring record. Over the last five years he has had a frightening strike rate.

Great player. He would cut the premiership up for fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Its 10mil p.a. because of the high taxes in Germany, I think?

Plus when adding in sponserships, image rights its not as much as the others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

Like i say I haven't seem him that much. Just suprised me as he isn't mentioned all that much in the tranfer gossip. I'd have thought the chelski would have been rumored with him at that rate. Even united being linked with berbs for 20 mill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

And Bayern got him for a snip. Something like 12 million euro.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

quality player. worth his weight in gold.
    exactly wat u want as a target man. hes clever, makes space, has great technique and amazing finishing. pity hes quite old tho :(
    him and ribery are cutting up das bundesliga. bayern are a joy to watch, ive been watching as much german football as setenta allow me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

Bayern got him for 11 mil. Euro. Due to this low fee he got some money into his own pocket, which was split over the duration of his contract.

He gets 5 mil a year after taxes, which in germany works out at abot 10 mil. before taxes.

He is worth every penny, and I believe he would have a big impact in the EPL. Class act.

BTW. Bayern pays Ribery 4 mil. Euro a year (after taxes).

I mean, he's 30. Given that his game is not heavily reliant on pace - he could have another 4 seasons or so at this level of performance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

He is insanely good at finishing. I remember his record with Palermo before he left for Fiorentina was something along the lines of 73 in 90 something games (could be wrong and one of those seasons was in Serie B but nonetheless). Keep in mind, although he only scored 2 or so in the World Cup, he hit the bar and crossbar 3 or 4 times. He's good in the air and the ground. I think he's one of the best in the world and if Italy win the Euro's he will be top scorer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭ThE_IVIAcIVIAIV

top scorer after del piero of course :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Great player. Bayern for the CL next year!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Really good athlete and finisher. As is said above, exactly what you want in target man. When you look at his transfer fee of 11 million and think Tottenham paid 15 for Darren Bent :eek: (although he is younger) i know which team done the better deal!

gucci wrote: »
    Really good athlete and finisher. As is said above, exactly what you want in target man. When you look at his transfer fee of 11 million and think Tottenham paid 15 for Darren Bent :eek: (although he is younger) i know which team done the better deal!

Actually - that is an excellent point. Buying English players will always be a mistake because they always cost way and above what their relative value should be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

gucci wrote: »

Actually it was €11m vs £15m which makes it even more unreal :D

Advertisement