Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gibbon to Hron

• 23-04-2008 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Hi all,

Will my installation of Gutsy Gibbon automatically upgrade itself to Hardy Heron?

Thanks
    KJoe

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Not unless you tell it to (it'll mention a new version on the usual 'updates' applet)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭corkie

joe_dunne wrote: »
    Hi all,

Will my installation of Gutsy Gibbon automatically upgrade itself to Hardy Heron?

Thanks
    KJoe

Due to be realesed tomorrow the 24th.

Went it get's on the mirrors you should be prompted or give the option to upgrade.

If not you can request it to do so: see here for more info

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Quick question on this... Can I just boot into 7.10 (gibbon), pop in the Heron LiveCD and upgrade using it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Steveire

Bard wrote: »
    Quick question on this... Can I just boot into 7.10 (gibbon), pop in the Heron LiveCD and upgrade using it?

Nope. It might be possible to upgrade using the alternate cd.

You can either back up your /home/ and clean reinstall, or upgrade gutsy in place, downloading all the packages again.

I might be wrong off course. Maybe you can copy all the packages to /var/apt/cache and then do the upgrade and it'll use those packages instead of downloading them again. Only thing is that the packages might not be on the liveCD at all. I think when 'installing' with the liveCD it just copies itself to the hard drive. With the alternate cd it actually installs the packages, so that's why you can upgrade with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Actually, looks like you're right, Steveire.

According to the Ubuntu 8.04 LTS download page (here), the alternative disc can be used for:
    • creating pre-configured OEM systems;
    • setting up automated deployments;
    • upgrading from older installations without network access;
    • LVM and/or RAID partitioning;
    • installs on systems with less than about 384MB of RAM (although note that low-memory systems may not be able to run a full desktop environment reasonably).

• Advertisement
Advertisement