Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which one book do you always go back to?

Options
  • 23-04-2008 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭

I'm re-reading the Mists of Avalon by Marrion Zimmer Bradley for what is the sixth time. I've bought three different copies of it after losing one and giving one away, and never get tired of it. Anyone else got a particular book they re-read over and over?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

I re-read the George R. R. Martin books over and over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Every time a new Malazan book comes out I start from book one again, and frequently uncover new little twists and plots I hadn't noticed before.

I could read Skullduggery Pleasant forever though, I think. It's just... enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Sarky wrote: »
    Every time a new Malazan book comes out I start from book one again, and frequently uncover new little twists and plots I hadn't noticed before.

Same - the Malazan series.

After getting Night of Knives for Chrimbo 2006, I read it, then started from Gardens, getting to the end just in time for Reapers to be released.

This time round, I'm don't have the time, so I've re-read Reapers and Night, waiting for Toll and Crimson Guard...both of which are due out shortly.

After I read the new books, I may well re-start again, and read through the lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

I've read both Dune and Magician numerous times, and will continue to do so in the future. I've also bought numerous versions of both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 AceofSpades001

The books of Dan Simmons, The Hyperion/Endymion series, plus the ILIUM/OLYMPUS books.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Must have read Magician 5 or 6 times. Its a pity his other books were never as good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Hyperion/Endymion plus neuromancer to see how far we have come.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

None - more's the pity. I'd love to go re-read Erikson in particular but I've got a pile of about 40 books outstanding, that I've never read, to get through first and during all that my authors keep publishing more...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

shockwave wrote: »
    Must have read Magician 5 or 6 times. Its a pity his other books were never as good.

I thought Daughter/Servant/Mistress of the Empire were really good.

I've read some of L.E. Modesitt's sci-fi books a ggod few times. Also Discworld.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Sarky wrote: »
    [/i].

Same here, just starting on R Gale now. Toll the Hounds better hurry up (july the 1st I believe)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I have reread Consider Phlebas a good few times, but the series I've read the most over the years has been The Hitch-hikers Guide To The Galaxy, genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

Hmmmm, I've a few series that I've read more times than I can count. For my sins, I must have read the Wheel of Time series more than thirty times - reread the lot every time a new book comes out, and usually once of twice in between.
    I've read Robin Hobbs trilogy of series' about a dozen times - Farseer trilogy, the Lifeship Traders trilogy and the Fool trilogy as a set together - they really are awesome.
    I've read the Hitchiker's guide "trilogy" about once a year for the last, what, 14 years?
    Then there's things like LOTR and Magician. Oh, and Ian Irvine's Geomancer series. :) Truth is, if I like a book, I'll reread it, can't bear to never read something I loved again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,941 ✭✭✭trout

seagull wrote: »
    I thought Daughter/Servant/Mistress of the Empire were really good.

They were excellent books, all the better for the influence of Janny Wurts.
    I found the other books suffered by comparison, when I re-read them, with the exception of Magician.

I re-read Barry Hughart at least once a year ... it's a crying shame he let difficulties with his publishers put him off writing again.
    Cracking books

http://books.google.ie/books?as_auth=Barry+Hughart&sa=X&oi=print&ct=title&cad=author-navigational&hl=en

• Registered Users Posts: 41 HEATZ

any of MacCafferys P.E.R.N/Dragon riders books ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

same here, magician (3), hyperion (4), enders saga (4), and the amber series (3), crystal singer a couple of times also

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭heavymetalrock

i find that i was go back to the book called fred and roise west, this is the best book wroted,

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭nialo

Ive re read Magician way to many times. and will surely do it again and again. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Collected works of Isaac Asimov

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭starchild

magician - again and again

i love the darkwar series as well

• Registered Users Posts: 82,474 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The only book I think I've reread was harry potter :o

I would have done it for Dune but christ, those things are Tomes. And they still keep coming out: Paul of Dune just hit shelves a couple months ago. Youd think a dead author would stop them but NoooOOOoooo00o.... :pac: stupid son

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭MackDeToaster

I used to have a fantastic memory and so would never reread books, but now that I'm older and have simply read so many that I find myself forgetting the contents, I have no problem going back. Find it hard to pick just one though, maybe Roger Zelazny's 'Lord of Light' ? I think I've read that about three times.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

I reread all the Raymond E. Feist books recently. absolutely love them.

the books i reread the whole time (and this is embarrassing) they are in my mothers house, so whenever I stay down there, I read them: David's Eddings, Belgariad series - it doesn't matter which book, i just pick up one and start reading it anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Lexie_Karas

For me its Feist's books. Lost count of how many times... ever time a new one is published I re-read all the others... still love them and always enjoy re-reading them :D

The final 3 Harry Potter books I can re-read every now and then. And I've no idea how many times I read TLoTR. David Eddings was another author I could read over and over, that kinda stopped once I started on Feist.

Shame there's not enough time to read all the books in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Ironbars

The hitchhikers guide......... or anything from Ericksons Malazan series.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

For me it's Wheel of Time. I'm just obsessed with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Legend by gemmell
    Magician by feist
    Chronicles of the Keeper(trilogy) by bernard king

• Registered Users Posts: 41 HEATZ

Morgase wrote: »
    For me it's Wheel of Time. I'm just obsessed with it.

on book 5 now tis excelent :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Consider Phlebas is the one book I have read again and again, as well as Hitchhiker.
    Use of Weapons is another I have re-read a number of times too.

Another two works I have to recommend to everybody, At The Mountains of Madness by HP Lovecraft, an excellent starter to the Chtulhu mythos and a damn fine sci-fi horror, and also everyone should have read A Fall Of Moondust by Arthur C Clarke, a genius disaster story on the moon, a little outdated now, but would make a smashing movie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Dune - The sort of book you can see in completely different ways at different times, because of the complexity.
    Some of Pratchett's stuff - Just entertaining really.
    Most of Gemmel's stuff - They're great for inspiring you if you feel down.
    HHG2TG series - They're books that you can dip in and out of randomly, and enjoy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

pwd wrote: »
    HHG2TG series - They're books that you can dip in and out of randomly, and enjoy.

I love listening to the BBC Audio books for this- it used to be on BBC Radio 4 late at night after the shipping forecast. The books are great- the films (incl. the recent remake) really don't do it justice......

Advertisement