Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Petition to fix Leaving Cert ! ! !

Options
  • 23-04-2008 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

http://www.petitiononline.com/Leaving/petition.html

Thats the location to this petition that will be sent to Mary Hanafin to ask her to fix the points system in the leaving cert. We need signatures, and a lot of them, it only takes 2 seconds, just type your name and email address, nobody will ever get your email address, you will just receive an email telling you that you have signed the petition and nothing more. Simple as, and it may change a lot, but its just a small project to see what reactions I get.

I hope hope I am allowed to put these things up on this website as it is related to the Leaving Cert.

Thanks,
    Andy
    :rolleyes:;):D:):mad:

p.s. Tell your Friends ! ! ! !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

oh sweet jesus

:/

If you really want to... "fix the leaving cert ! ! !", there are better ways to go about it.

Like just about anything would beat a petition.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭YourName

Like What . . . .

Its just an experiment, if you don't agree then don't sign it, if you do just click the link and sign, it only takes two seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,535 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Fix: How.

the point system works. It reflects your overall ability as an academic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The points system isn't anything to do with the Department of Education.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Overheal wrote: »

Agreed to some extent. However I dont really study and I still get good results (thank god....)

Now mcgowaner, what you seem to be suggesting is that we all have to decide what career to do in 3rd year when choosing lc subjects (yes at the age of 15). Then if we change our minds we couldnt cause we wouldnt have relevant subjects.

Also you could have spent more than a minute making that petition. Its only like two lines long. You see, people like you have no answers. Youve made a complaint but you are presenting no solution. Present your ideal alternative to the points system and then well see.

And finally "protest to a change" makes no sense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

I would sign it if you had an idea for a better system :)

Personally I think it's fair
    40 places for a course
    The people with the highest points get in!!
    Circle meets t he square

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Given that it's the individual universities that have complete control over their own entry requirements and procedures, why are you trying to petition the Minister instead of the institution whose entry criteria you don't like?

These institutions have chosen to club together and create the CAO to manage the entry processes collectively. To the extent that they each operate similar systems, it is their choice as to what particular aspects of it each of them wants to keep or change.

Why don't you just decide what way you want a particular institution to manage entries to a particular course, and then try to persuade them that your idea is better than what they are currently doing. If your idea really is better, you shouldn't have much trouble convincing the intelligent people whose decision this is, no matter how many "signatures" you do or don't have.

Ok, so time to come clean, this was not a real petition, it was set up as a project, a project from 5 students studying web-design, we are setting up a web-site called irishpetitions.com, we have set up this petition on a USA website to investigate irish individuals attitiude to signing petitions. This petition was strategically worded and advertised in 3 different locations to see how people would react, we will consider displaying our results here if people would like to see them. In total we did receive 5 signatures over the last 24 hours, however this was not the centre of our investigation, our chosen 3 web-sites were, including this one. This was because we are considering adding a forum section to our web-site where people could argue out their point. Other than what I have said I cannot supply anymore information about this project as it is still ongoing.

Other than that, I would like to take this opportunity to thank you all for your words of wisdom.

I would also like to point out that "mcgowaner" is not actually me, it is my nephews account that we used so we had some sort of previous use shown, however little it was. So therefore he has no connection to this project.

Thanks,
    IB1 Web Design

P.S. If anyone is sitting their Leaving Cert in a matter of weeks then I would like to wish you all the very Best of Luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

Dont try to fix something that isnt broken. Points system is quite fair IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Dont try to fix something that isnt broken. Points system is quite fair IMO.
    Maybe you should read the post above yours...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Ok irishpetitions.com, I would have to say you are extremely silly. This is because if I
    • Were to click into the next tab on my browser
    • Click buy
    • And Enter my credit card details
    I would have just bought your domain name and you would be screwed. My advice is to buy it now that youve told ppl about it.

For all those waning to make bob you could get the domain for under €20, then try and sell it on. Could be worth it. See www.register.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭ian.f

Don't mean to take the piss but it would help if your first line didn't state that you DO NOT want a change to the points system...
    We, the undersigned, through this letter, protest to a change in the State Examinations Leaving Certificate Points System.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭ian.f

ah rite just read the post saying this was fake, fair enough...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭flonge

I agree but academics aint everything, just because youre a very academic person does not mean that you are suited to a certain career..
    Take nursing for example,you could be the most academic person in the world, but if you don't your not caring/patient, your not really suited to the career.

I think although the points system may reflect a person overall academic ability it doesnt reflect other strengths.
    There are other things, like artistic,.. academic aint everything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Yet, but not intelligence.

The leaving cert is a retention test more than anything else and intelligence has very little to do with achieving high points.

Some of the most creative and intelligent minds under achieve at secondary school because of teachers who teach purely towards the Leaving Cert, which is wrong.

I am blessed in that I have an English teacher who resembles more a College Professor and classes are full of discussion and pupils are allowed an opinion and to debate what he says.

I despise teachers who sit at the desk for 40 minutes and read from the book or hand out piles of notes, however, I understand it.

Perhaps a general knowledge (and I don't mean Britney Spears etc.) quiz amounting to say 20 points could be brought in on trial? Proper general knowledge questions about the government, literature etc.

Also, I believe that Civics (CSPE) should definitely be a subject on the Leaving Cert cirriculum. It is so important especially with fewer and fewer young adults voting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

K4t wrote: »
    Yet, but not intelligence.

you could argue that there are so many types of intelligenca.

artistic,academic,practicality the list could go on,

theres a system in place, and its gonna stay, you CANT suit everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 83,535 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Fad wrote: »
    you could argue that there are so many types of intelligenca.

artistic,academic,practicality the list could go on,

theres a system in place, and its gonna stay, you CANT suit everyone
    Bang on Fad.

There are dozens different forms of intelligence.

-Body-Kiniesthetic: dance; athletics; Muscle Memory
    -Extropersonal: social; empathy
    -Verbo-Linguistic: written and spoken language
    -Logical/Mathematical
    -Introspective: Self-reflective capacities
    -Spacial Awareness
    -Musical Intelligence
    -Existential
    -Emotional

The list goes on and varies depending on whom's theories you wish to apply.

You can never truly cater to every individual. For example some students will be very good at Introspection - they will be quiet, tend to work alone and will probably benefit most from quiet study. Extrapersonal intelligent students would benefit more from pop-quizzing in groups or bouncing ideas off of other people.

Here lads I really think you should read my last comment, all of you, before you comment again because yous arn't getting the whole picture here ! ! ! !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭nevey

mcgowaner wrote: »
    Ok, so time to come clean, this was not a real petition, it was set up as a project, a project from 5 students studying web-design
    keep studying
    ...This petition was strategically worded ...
    That bit is a piss take right? " We, the undersigned, through this letter, protest to a change in the State Examinations Leaving Certificate Points System. " ???
    I would also like to point out that "mcgowaner" is not actually me, it is my nephews account
    Was getting a boards account beyond your technical skill?

I just did a bit of testing for you - your bizarre categorisation of public and private don't seem to work ... neither of my two dud email addresses were verified for the signatures and they are both added to your list of 14 or so people who are "protesting to a change" in the system.

Go away with your silly plans and stop wasting our time with your fake crap petition.

I really do not get why people come on to this site to add nasty comments. On top of that I don't understand why people also comment before reading the other comments or at least the other relevent comments.

Yes it was strategically worded and we wanted people to notice the fact that the petition did not make any sense and how short it was, it was an investigation remember, so no it was not a "piss take" . . . . . .

No, creating a boards account was not beyond our intelligence, if you had read the posts properly you would have found the reason why we did not, because we wanted to make it look like we had previously posted rather than being a brand new member.

Then if you had also read the original post properly you would have found that the website where the petition was placed was not actually our website, it was an american website that is not connected to us whatsoever. I said in the first post that you would receive an email stating that you had signed the petiton, not asking you to confirm that you had.

So why can't you just be a little more nicer about things rather than randomly posting attacks that arn't even credible, because you didn't even read the posts properly.

I also thank the previous poster who told us that we should purchase the domain before anybody else does, I also thank you for your recomendation, it is greatly appreciated but we had purchased another domain that we are planning on using, and that was more like an example, but thank you anyway.

So in conclusion, I want to finally thank everyone who has commented and signed the petition, as we cannot remove the petition from the original website it will still remain there but you can consider this thread closed from now on.

Thanks to everyone, all the best.

Andy
    :):rolleyes::D;):cool::eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement