Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

USB problem!!!

• 23-04-2008 6:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭

Am a bit of a numpty tech-wise so please move Mods if in the wrong forum!! I had a Lenovo laptop in my last job so when I was leaving I stored all my pics etc on a USB. I tried to access them today and all of the files are shown as having stuff stored but when clicking on the icons they then come up as empty! Spoke to an IT guy at work who says maybe the operating systems are not compatible or something and I don't have a clue what he is on about?! After copying everything on my old laptop I double-checked that everything had been copied properly but now I can't access them and I am very sad indeed. I went on to the troubleshooting part of the Toshiba site and the USB shows as working fine. Any ideas? Thanks :(

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Can you give the names of anything you can see.

is that you can see yellow folders but that they are empty
    or the files in there won't open

if both laptops were running windows then they should be compatible
    usb keys are usually formatted as Fat32 so windows 98 or later should have no problems

did the pics come off a camera or did you make them with a program - just in case you need a new viewer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Thanks a million. Some are pics and then there are some ppts as well, none of them are showing. The yellow files are there but are then just showing as empty! The pics came off a camera originally and were saved on the original laptop. Both laptops running off windows too, am completely perplexed!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

USB keys are Fat32 so you shouldn't have any problem with security / permissions / security

If you right click on the drive , just check that it says FAT32 , if it says NTFS then you may have to take ownership

At the worst (not till you've ruled out other ways) you could boot up from a Knoppix CD and use photorec to recover the raw files even if the folder structure is broken. ( can't remember if photorec works on USB in windows too) www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

THANKS A MILLION! Will give that a try, cheers m'dear!:)

Advertisement