Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Alarm for MK5 Golf Factory not good enough?

Options
  • 23-04-2008 7:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

NiSmO wrote: »

The car has an immobiliser so unless it is a professional car thief with the right equippment the only other way they can steal it is by getting the keys. An alarm may deter your typical opportunist scumbag from stealing something valuable from inside the car and prompt him to move to a softer target.

Most alarms these days can work in conjunction with the factory immobiliser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

All car thieves will know that the Golf has deadlocks and an immobiliser.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭maidhc

NiSmO wrote: »

I'd say an alarm that would be that sensitive would break your heart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

You have a fine car with a good immobiliser and an audible alarm should anyone try to get in (whether you believe it's there or not). You don't need extra protection imho.

Get some Clifford stickers and put them in the windows if you think it'll help.

Honestly, the only direction I'd go from your current level of protection is to go to a tracker system (overkill, I would think). Compared to the cost, I don't see a Clifford or similar giving you an good enough increase in security.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Don't leave your keys on the hall table either. Truth be told thats how they got your neighbours cars. No need to go ott on a clifford. Know a man recently who had his car broken into with a clifford alarm fitted. It went off but they still got a few bits including his in car DVD player and screens...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Leave nothing, and I mean nothing, in the car. No mobile, GPS, clothes etc as these just give them an excuse imo.

As for the car being stolen, it is practically impossible unless they have the keys, so you have to look into how secure they are in your gaff. As an addition you could get one of those disk wheel locks as a further deterrant.

The other worry is hijack, never leave your car running without you in it. Some of these scumbags will run into the back of you, wait for you to get out to inspect the damage (leaving the keys in the ignition), and get their passenger to drive off in your car.

You are right to be cautious as your car is a target car due to its performance. My mates mother had terrible trouble with scum trying to rob the keys to her GTi out of their house. It happened three times and only stopped when she sold the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

I'm not familiar with the workings of a Golf GT, but what I do is I take either the coil lead, rotor arm or one or two coil packs out of my car(s) when I park it at night if not in the garage/yard at home. Now leave them to try and start it now.....

Another possibility is to pull the fuse for the fuel pump.

I know that it can take a bit of time, but with practice, it's down to a couple of seconds.

Oh, I always have the keys to the car under the pillow, and the dummy key is on the dressing table

Am I paranoid enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

ianobrien wrote: »
    I'm not familiar with the workings of a Golf GT, but what I do is I take either the coil lead, rotor arm or one or two coil packs out of my car(s) when I park it at night if not in the garage/yard at home. Now leave them to try and start it now.

Beyond the realms of most people realistically

Have done this myself when going on Holiday.
    and the dummy key is on the dressing table

Really good idea, if they got into your house and found that and the car still didn't start then they'd probably give it up.
    Am I paranoid enough?

I don't think you can ever be too paranoid when dealing with the scum of the earth

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I'm not familiar with the workings of a Golf GT, but what I do is I take either the coil lead, rotor arm or one or two coil packs out of my car(s) when I park it at night if not in the garage/yard at home. Now leave them to try and start it now.....

I know that it can take a bit of time, but with practice, it's down to a couple of seconds.

Oh, I always have the keys to the car under the pillow, and the dummy key is on the dressing table

Am I paranoid enough?

You are paranoid, but do you not think that if they go to the trouble of breaking into your house and going into your bedroom to find the keys. Then going back out and the car not starting they'll come up and get you to tell them where the keys are? Don't forget it's only a car, is it worth your or your families safety?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Del2005 wrote: »
    You are paranoid, but do you not think that if they go to the trouble of breaking into your house and going into your bedroom to find the keys. Then going back out and the car not starting they'll come up and get you to tell them where the keys are? Don't forget it's only a car, is it worth your or your families safety?

+1

Leave the keys downstairs. Not within reach of the letterbox but far from your sleeping family.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

milltown wrote: »
    +1

Leave the keys downstairs. Not within reach of the letterbox but far from your sleeping family.

That's the thing, I'm in a Bungalow!

I accept your point, but I'll keep doing it my way.

Oh, at the moment, I've got the car keys buried under a pile of paperwork, and even I can't find them!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Ferris wrote: »
    My mates mother had terrible trouble with scum trying to rob the keys to her GTi out of their house. It happened three times and only stopped when she sold the car.
    Surprise! :D

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement