Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Galway or Parkmore area! Help needed. Please read

Options
  • 23-04-2008 7:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Hi all,

Im moving to Galway from Leitrim next week r dat to go back to MMA training. I recently qualified as a personal trainer so I need to live near a gym to train/work. Im not sure weather I should move near the city and travel to MMA training by bus 3 times a week or move to Parkmore and be right beside training... If there is a gym in the Parkmore area i'd prob move there ...

Do u know if there is a weights gym there and if so whats it like? If ya what area should I look to move into that would be close to a weights gym and Point Blank MMA gym.

If there is no weights gym in the area of Point Blank MMA gym what area should I live in... It would have to be walking distance to a weights gym and close to a bus stop to get to Point Blank MMA gym in Parkmore...

Please help. Thanks , Fergal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭mark.leonard

Hey Fergal,

check out the Olympic Physique gym, its in the Ballybrit Industrial Estate and has plenty of free weight for olympic lifts and other MMA supplementary lifting.

Parkmore is mainly industrial so there wouldn't be somewhere there to live. Places close to it include Ballybane, Ballybrit, Renmore, Doughiske, Briar Hill, Riverside and Cloonacauneen, and probably plenty more besides that I can't think of off the top of my head.

Have you anything sorted for work yet? If there is a particular gym signing you up then obviously living near that would be the way to go, let me know if there is and I can give you more appropriate living destinations. Assuming you are goign to be doing some work in many different gyms then a car is probaby going to be a solid investment, as the gyms in Galway are spread out, not an obstacle if you are driving, but could be painful if you are using pubic transport. You have my number and my email anyway if there is anything more I can do.

My recommendation is to crash somewhere for a month until you figure out the lie of the land and what your work situation is going to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 footbag_man

Hey Fergal,

check out the Olympic Physique gym, its in the Ballybrit Industrial Estate and has plenty of free weight for olympic lifts and other MMA supplementary lifting.

Parkmore is mainly industrial so there wouldn't be somewhere there to live. Places close to it include Ballybane, Ballybrit, Renmore, Doughiske, Briar Hill, Riverside and Cloonacauneen, and probably plenty more besides that I can't think of off the top of my head.

Have you anything sorted for work yet? If there is a particular gym signing you up then obviously living near that would be the way to go, let me know if there is and I can give you more appropriate living destinations. Assuming you are goign to be doing some work in many different gyms then a car is probaby going to be a solid investment, as the gyms in Galway are spread out, not an obstacle if you are driving, but could be painful if you are using pubic transport. You have my number and my email anyway if there is anything more I can do.

My recommendation is to crash somewhere for a month until you figure out the lie of the land and what your work situation is going to be.

Thanks a million Mark, Ill move to one of them areas you mentioned as it seems it has all I need in the area.

Well when I say I just qualified as a personal trainer what I really mean is I have to repeat 2 exams to be fully qualified.. Have to do the anatomy and exercise to music exam in June. So until then the plan is to train full time (I have enuf cash to do me till june/july saved) and bulk to 77kg to be able to fight at 70kg when the time comes.

Thanks for the advice, see u next week , or the week after

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

Thanks a million Mark, Ill move to one of them areas you mentioned as it seems it has all I need in the area.

Well when I say I just qualified as a personal trainer what I really mean is I have to repeat 2 exams to be fully qualified.. Have to do the anatomy and exercise to music exam in June. So until then the plan is to train full time (I have enuf cash to do me till june/july saved) and bulk to 77kg to be able to fight at 70kg when the time comes.

Thanks for the advice, see u next week , or the week after

AFAIK the only decent gym in Galway for free weights is galway city gym on the tuam road. It's abit from parkmore but you could do it on a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

City gym is quite small though, I'm looking to switch to Olympic Physique from there. O P has a plenty of freeweights and machines and room!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Something-Wkd

Hi, there's a double room going in the house I'm in :D

It's in Renmore, on the Dublin Rd. On 4 main bus routes, really close to Parkmore Ind Est and Ballybrit Ind Est. There are 2 gyms 3 mins walk from the house (Kingfisher and Days Hotel). I don't know what the Days hotel gym is like but the Kingfisher is great and has a weights section.

PM me if you're interested

• Advertisement
Advertisement