Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

360 vs PS3

• 23-04-2008 7:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭

Anyone know if there are any comparisons yet? Regarding gameplay/graphics?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

5 min preload time apparently on the ps3 before you can start playing, thats about all i know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭4Xcut

Just to clarify on the above. Its not a preload time in the sense of every time you play. Its an initial install.

The same is true of the Xbox 360, except that its install is optional instead of mandatory.

Personally, i think the 5 minutes is very worth it if improves game performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Yeah i've heard about the install, I agree with 4xcut, if it improves the gameplay then it'll be worth it.

Just wondering if there will be substantial gameplay/graphics differences between the game on the 360 and PS3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Pacifico wrote: »
    Yeah i've heard about the install, I agree with 4xcut, if it improves the gameplay then it'll be worth it.

Just wondering if there will be substantial gameplay/graphics differences between the game on the 360 and PS3

Everyones assuming that the game itself is goin to be brilliant so the question of what console it'll be better on is one of the biggest questions as we head into the final week of waiting.Theres another thread out there discussing all this.I, personally think that the difference will be negligible between the 2 versions but i'm waitin for others to tell me before i take the plunge on one over the other......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

People playing downloaded copies on the 360 are claiming it's rubbish apparently, as far as frame rate + rendering is concerned. If it is I'll stick with it, but get a ps3 by the time the next gta comes round. Sure my 360 will probably be dead and out of warranty by then.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I'd love to see a comparison between installed and not installed on the 360, even GTA 3/VC/SA had trouble streaming textures and data from the disc, IV is going to be so much harder on it I think you'll really need a hard disc install. Could be the reason some people are having problems already

Is there definitely an install for the 360? I haven't seen it confirmed anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

PS3 has splitscreen, 360 doesnt.
    PS3 has mandatory install, lasts 10 minutes
    360 has framerate issues WITHOUT install
    PS3 takes longer to load
    PS3 version seems to be more populated
    360 has a brighter color pallet for a "cartoony look"
    PS3 has a more relaxed color pallet for a more "realistic look"

Is there definitely an install for the 360? I haven't seen it confirmed anywhere.
    there is a mandatory, 10 min install on GTAIV for the PS3, and an optional install on the 360.

there you go

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Helix wrote: »
    PS3 has splitscreen, 360 doesnt.
    PS3 has mandatory install, lasts 10 minutes
    360 has framerate issues WITHOUT install
    PS3 takes longer to load
    PS3 version seems to be more populated
    360 has a brighter color pallet for a "cartoony look"
    PS3 has a more relaxed color pallet for a more "realistic look"
    Why would 360 ver not have splitscreen aswell? Sounds quite odd...

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

yoyo wrote: »

Nick

Maybe Sony signed an exclusive deal and decided not to bang on about it every 5 mins.

yoyo wrote: »

Nick

who knows

it doesnt tho according to reports

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

The splitscreen thing was started by a fake review.

Neither version has a split screen mode, and if it does it hasn't been announced yet by any reliable sources.

The only known facts are:
    Mandatory install on PS3 ~5 minutes
    Optional install on 360
    Optional sixaxis control on PS3
    Looks "warmer" on PS3 and "more clinical" on 360 - Rockstar prefer the look on PS3 but there's no real technical difference
    360 version has achievements, future DLC

And that's basically it. All reports so far state the two versions are essentially identical, though I'm sure there'll be more detailed comparisons in future that find a 2% difference in framerate or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Did I hear something about there being a difference in the MP3-player radio station between the xb360 and PS3?
    I likes my custom music tbh, in-game stuff gets old.
    Was this just idle speculation or is there something to this?

Did I hear something about there being a difference in the MP3-player radio station between the xb360 and PS3?

I also like to listen to my own music during a game. To me, its one of the 360's biggest assets.However, a similiar thing is supposedly coming on the ps3, in a future update, that is.In terms of GTA, i find that and the dlc to be its major pull factors of the 360 version.The ps3, though has many other advantages....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Zonda999 wrote: »
    I also like to listen to my own music during a game. To me, its one of the 360's biggest assets.However, a similiar thing is supposedly coming on the ps3, in a future update, that is.In terms of GTA, i find that and the dlc to be its major pull factors of the 360 version.The ps3, though has many other advantages....

WTF so you wont listen to the ingame radio stations? Anything that gets that time and effort deserves a listen for at least 20 hours. Then the Prodigy albums come into play as custom music, may indulge in some Muse too stockholm syndrom was written for a GTA escape.

but still listen to the in game ****e 1st.

kdjac

KdjaCL wrote: »
    WTF so you wont listen to the ingame radio stations? Anything that gets that time and effort deserves a listen for at least 20 hours. Then the Prodigy albums come into play as custom music, may indulge in some Muse too stockholm syndrom was written for a GTA escape.

but still listen to the in game ****e 1st.

kdjac

That said, i may get it on ps3 and put up with the ingame stuff.I deffo would prefer free online multiplayer over custom music.MICROSOFT MULTIPLAYER TAX.......BOO-URNS:pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Yeah I'm leaning towards Ps3 too, especially with the pack.

KdjaCL wrote: »
    WTF so you wont listen to the ingame radio stations?
    lol, of course I will, they're always brilliant.
    But I'm talking about after about the first 20 or 30 hours of gameplay, when you've heard everything the GTA radio stations have to offer.

I'd say i'll nearly just get it for ps3 first and if the dlc on the 360 is as good as the 50 million ms payed for it, i may get that as well:D:D

• Advertisement

I'd say i'll nearly just get it for ps3 first and if the dlc on the 360 is as good as the 50 million ms payed for it, i may get that as well:D:D

thats prob what im gonna do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

That said, i may get it on ps3 and put up with the ingame stuff.I deffo would prefer free online multiplayer over custom music.MICROSOFT MULTIPLAYER TAX.......BOO-URNS:pac::pac:
    glad to see someone using my most used term when it comes to the xbox.

:D

:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

The MAIN reason I am buying on 360 is the pad. All about the pad!

The sixaxis is worse than the dual shock 2. Triggers are terrible, and curved the wrong way. Thumbstick placement on 360 pad is also far better.

Pad is really important to me if I am going to be pumping hours into a game, specially a game which involves a crap load of driving!

But achievements, live dlc, custom soundtracks are also huge bonuses.

My ps3 is used purely for blu rays. Only really bought the POS for mgs4 tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Ever since I got my PS3, I begun to hate my 360. I don't see what everyone is harping on about?! It almost fùcked me over while trying to play FIFA on it! That's why I got PES on the PS3 ;)! 360 warr. runs out in December... better try and get the RROD before then so Microsoft can actually do something to make me happy!!

The sixaxis is worse than the dual shock 2. Triggers are terrible, and curved the wrong way. Thumbstick placement on 360 pad is also far better.

Pad is really important to me if I am going to be pumping hours into a game, specially a game which involves a crap load of driving!

The 360 control is terrible as was the xbox controller, trigger curved the wrong way?? you'd like them to curve out the way??.

360 is a piece of junk, that's why they keep dropping there price lower then Sony's as they know they can't compete on a level playing field, which country has lead the way? America or Japan?. Simple answer. Americans can't even produce a good car, break down easy just like there 360 counterparts :D

Anyway back on topic, only 5 more days to go, my anticipation for this game is unreal, going to Crete in July with 8 other lads but tbh this game has taken up first slot in my mind. Would prob be easier if i did'nt start reading forums abiout the game 4 times a day since the start of the month, was going grand from october till 3/4 weeks ago!! :D

The 360 control is terrible as was the xbox controller, trigger curved the wrong way?? you'd like them to curve out the way??.

360 controller is the best console controller ever made, far better than the original xbox one

in other news, confirmed by a bloke i know who was playing the leak last night that theres a 10gb 360 installation which takes far longer than the 5 minute ps3 install

again im feeling justified with my choice of the ps3 version over the 360 one

10gb, jesus. Microsoft will be loving that, might actually convince people to shell out money on their 120gb hard drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Get a Dual shock 3,

Am I missing something about the Optional install on 360?

I never got the option,

Nor is it in the settings anywhere.

And there is some nasty slowdown at times.

Gonna buy both versions but i think will be spending most of my time with the PS3 one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Helix wrote: »
    360 controller is the best console controller ever made, far better than the original xbox one

in other news, confirmed by a bloke i know who was playing the leak last night that theres a 10gb 360 installation which takes far longer than the 5 minute ps3 install

again im feeling justified with my choice of the ps3 version over the 360 one

Helix, can you ask him where this optional install is?

Or does it only show up with elite xbox?

I dont have 10GB free so i guess that might be it

• Advertisement

WellyJ wrote: »
    Helix, can you ask him where this optional install is?

Or does it only show up with elite xbox?

I dont have 10GB free so i guess that might be it

yeah will do

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

PS3 vs 360 - meh.

If the gameplay is good it wont make any difference.

achievements and exclusive DLC have the xbox the +1 for me on this.
    I dont really care if the graphics are slightly better or warmer on the PS3, the graphics arent going to keep bringing me back!

Love the multiplayer tax idea Cremo, good one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

360 is a piece of junk, that's why they keep dropping there price lower then Sony's as they know they can't compete on a level playing field, which country has lead the way? America or Japan?. Simple answer. Americans can't even produce a good car, break down easy just like there 360 counterparts :D

I know people are entitled to their opinion and all that jazz, but really... Look up a dictionary, look for the word objective.

Also, I'm sure whatever you drive would piss all over this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

[fanboy rant]360 is a piece of junk, that's why they keep dropping there price lower then Sony's as they know they can't compete on a level playing field, which country has lead the way? America or Japan?. Simple answer. Americans can't even produce a good car, break down easy just like there 360 counterparts :D[/fanboy rant]

[waffle shíte]
    Anyway back on topic, only 5 more days to go, my anticipation for this game is unreal, going to Crete in July with 8 other lads but tbh this game has taken up first slot in my mind. Would prob be easier if i did'nt start reading forums abiout the game 4 times a day since the start of the month, was going grand from october till 3/4 weeks ago!! :D[/waffle shíte]

Obvious ps3 fanboy. Iv'e lost interest in your opinion. :rolleyes:
    But on the other point, yes, triggers curved the wrong way. Do you even have a ps3? The controllers triggers are curved outwards, so you fingers cannot rest on them, they slip off (rarely in fairness, and usually when your hands get sweaty) and are more difficult to use. This is, the only reason l2/r2 are triggers now, is prolly because of triggers on the xbox pad, they didn't impliment it well. But there still better than old r2/l2 anyway. If you cant understand what I mean, then you have never held a ps3 or xbox 360 controller.

I like the xb360 controllers, but their analog sticks are shíte to use, feels like there's a massive dead-zone on 'em.
    They should have put a trackball on them or something.

Advertisement