Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Performing Arts

Options
  • 23-04-2008 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm just looking for a bit of info from those on the front lines, if anyone knows anything about this course, I find the prospective a bit unclear, is there much practical work? Acting workshops and the like.
    I've just done a PLC in Galway in Theatre Performance and I'm trying to find the right course for me, any info greatly appriciated thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

If you would like to email the Head of Department share.perry@itsligo.ie Perry Share, he should be able to answer the questions. Also noticed a lot of displays of scale models of sets and full sized costumes in the reception area of the college.

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 :D

Hi Louise!
    I'm also thinking of going to Sligo next year- Performing arts aswell! :)
    I don't know much about the course though + I've never even been to Sligo!!

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Fly High

Well nobody here seems to know anything about it either, I dunno, I'd rather talk to someone who's doing the course...

I'm more likely to go for Arts with Performing Arts in NUIG I think now...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 43 toastomatic

Sorry I did not see this earlier!!

I have just finished 1st year performing arts in IT Sligo and the going there is best decision I ever made. There is a fair bit of practical work, in first year you do both acting and theatre design (costumes and making sets and the likes) and then in second year you pick whether you want to do acting or design. I enjoyed both very much and so did almost everybody, although more people tend to pick acting, which is what I'll be doing next year. As well as acting you do a bit of stage management, which involves making prompt books and sort of theatre general knowledge, and drama studies, which is a little like leaving cert english, its about various plays. After Christmas you have Greek Tragedy, which is really interesting, and performance analysis, which is basically learning how to put your thoughts on a play or film into words and eventually critical reviews. We also had directing.

In terms of practical work, its more than half of the hours altogether, and its our main focus. We had to write one essay this semester and two smaller ones last semester, and as long as you leave yourself enough time, they're managable. We put on three plays altogether this year, Dancing At Lughnasa, The Journeyman and The Cherry orchard, had a costume showcase and exhibition, and had a class trip to hungary to perform Dancing at Lughnasa in a drama festival, which was a brilliant experience. The other first year Class put on The Visit, Agamemnon and were also in the Journeyman.

We have exams in the more theory based subjects but we are also marked on continous assessment, which involves turning up to class, we're also marked on projects we had to do throughout the year, and we have to keep journals from class, which are a written and visual response to what we have done. It all adds up.

I really would recommend this course, its not very easy and the hours can be long, but I've never had a better time in my whole life, and met some of the best people you could ever meet.....I know the prospectus does not do it justice....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭DenMan

Hi toastomatic

Just saw your earlier post. I will be starting in Sligo IT as a MS in Sept. I have been accepted on the Performing Arts course. Can you tell me a bit about it? I went up and spoke to Rhona about it and had a great chat with her. I met Una during the interview and really enjoyed the conversation.

The thing is I have worked both in Ireland (currently with a production company) and abroad (UK and Malta) in both FIlm/TV. I have the experience and the contacts but now need the education. I am looking forward to starting it. One of the potential employment avenues once I graduate would be TV Floor Manager where I would be supervising others on a set. I know the course is primarily aimed at Theatre and I am very interested in it, especially from the design aspect of things. I will also be undertaking a foreign language at night (Spanish) to compliment my studies. Rhona did seem a bit disappointed that the IT did not have a language option like the Business and Marketing courses do.

How did the trip to Hungary go? Did you go during the Easter break? I read online, one of the lecturers, Dr Agnes Pallai is an accomplished dance instructor from there.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 43 toastomatic

Hey Denman, good luck next year, you sound really enthusiastic and what with your experience etc. I'm sure you'll get on fine. It's great you've met the lecturers, I never knew Agnes was an accomplished dance teacher, I geuss that woman is full of surprises! She teaches us acting though.
    The trip to Hungary was great, one of the highlights of the year, we went the week after class had finished at the end of the semester, just before the exams started.

Advertisement