Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This happened tonight ... a few kids could easily have been killed ...

Options
  • 23-04-2008 9:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭

About 6pm this evening I was kicking football with my 7 year old nephew outside my Mum and Dads house. They live in a mature housing estate ... mostly old(ish) folks who have been living there for the last 30 odd years and one or two young families moved in recently. It was a nice evening and there were lots of young kids on bikes, scooters, playing running around the place and pushing dolls in prams etc.

Everyone drives fairly sensibly because they know there are usually lots of kids/grandkids about the place. I just happened to look up and saw a souped up silver hatchback ripping around the corner of the estate at high speed. Some souped up boy racer piece of crap going very fast. It was driven by a local young lad ... about 17/18 ... you know the type with baseball cap and huge silver chain etc, and some young one in the passenger seat with big hoopy earrings and 3 solid inches of make up.

He must have missed at least 5 kids by inches. He slammed on the brakes and stuck the car to the road. One of the guys in the estate ... an army guy, fairly hard and not to be messed with ... ran over (his own son was playing on the road) and dragged the guy literaly through the car window and held him by the throat and told him if he ever saw him around this place again he would kill him. And he meant it. I almost cheered, and would have done the same myself if I was quicker. The guy drove off slowly and then sped out of the estate.

It all happened in a matter of seconds. A few kids could easily have been killed tonight.

I was sorta shaken by the whole incident and wanted to post it here. Not looking for comment or anything ... just wanted to tell the story.

G23

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Three Cheers for the army guy! I f***ing hate boy racer cretins. They are like young children with a loud rattle, except it's their exhaust pipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'm afraid this is a common thing these days, stupid little boys and their toys until someone gets hurt.

I'd buy that army guy a pint though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Boots09

Fair play to the army guy I say!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Here here! A few boy racers beaten senseless would go along way.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

Yeah, hes a good guy. I've known him for 30 years or so ... hes a hard bastrad, the kinda guy who you'd want beside you in a fight because he knows how to handle himself. You would NOT mess with him. And he meant that threat to the boy racer.

It'll be interesting to see if he ever speeds around the estate again.

Its absolutely shocking that assholes like this young lad do stuff like this. We need more people to stand up to this, and use the only language these boyracers understand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

As much as they frustrate me, speedbumps are a great solution to this kind of thing.

Speed bumps and hard-ass army guys. +1 on the "ex-army guy is great" comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hate speed bumps with a passion but everytime something like this happens they are vindicated :(

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Well as long as they were under the 50 km/h speed limit it was all ok, sure it's only when you go just 0.1 km/h over the limit that all hell breaks loose:rolleyes:.

+1 to the Army Guy. Some people will just never learn. The retards in the souped up car give us young drivers and those in the modified car community a very bad name though, which is unfortunate for the 99% of people who are reasonable people on the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Gandalf23 wrote: »
    Yeah, hes a good guy. I've known him for 30 years or so ... hes a hard bastrad, the kinda guy who you'd want beside you in a fight because he knows how to handle himself. You would NOT mess with him. And he meant that threat to the boy racer.

It'll be interesting to see if he ever speeds around the estate again.

Its absolutely shocking that assholes like this young lad do stuff like this. We need more people to stand up to this, and use the only language these boyracers understand.

Well, let's not encourage violence here!
    Dunno if it's been listed before, but here's what I do when there are boy racers about;
    They are coming at you, usually bootin along with the front fogs on-
    If there are no Guards back up the road, flash your lights like mad to pretend there is!!! Great looking back in the rear view mirror to see the brake lights on!! Bonus points if they stop and turn around :D
    If there is Guards back up the road, never flash, cos I love to see them pulled over!

If they are coming up behind you, getting tight on your bumper, backing off and then rocketing up again - just clean your front windscreen, some of the spray will get on the bonnet of their freshly polished **** mobile and piss them off no end. They've spent all morning out there with the chamois...

Of course, if you see someone acting dangerously on the roads these days, just call Traffic Watch on 1890 205805. I find the Guards very interested in getting hold of these **** for brains and cautioning them.
    Don't forget, getting into a road rage incident is never ever worth it.

E92 wrote: »
    Some people will just never learn. The retards in the souped up car give us young drivers and those in the modified car community a very bad name though, which is unfortunate for the 99% of people who are reasonable people on the roads.

Agreed. Altho 99% sounds like a very "optomistic" estimate of those who are reasonable on the road ...

I hope that boy racer learned a lesson tonight. However, I doubt it.

• Advertisement

gman2k wrote: »
    Well, let's not encourage violence here!

No. Lets encourage it.

It seems to be the only language these boyracers understand. If that pr1ck gets a good kicking and he learns a lesson (and maybe the life of an innocent child is saved next time) then I'm all for violence. Extreme violence.

And the reason I say this is because the threat seemed to work ... the guy knew he was in serious risk of a beating. I could imagine if one of the older folks in the estate had said something to him. He would have spit in their face and him and his tarty young one with the hoopy earrings would have sped off even faster.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Shock horror - how iresponsible of you - what if your nephews football had gone astray and damaged the - obviously genuine - motor entheusiasts car that he'd obviously spent his hard earned wages for the past ten years on artistic bose window stickers and exhaust amplifiers.
    How could you live with yourself....:eek:

+100 karma to army guy.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

These knobheads flaunt the law and authority so you have to stoop to their level to knock sense into them.
    The army guy (hero) should have put his boot through the car window, then dragged the scrote out for a couple of thumps.

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭Esel

One of the guys in the estate ... an army guy, fairly hard and not to be messed with ... ran over (his own son was playing on the road) and dragged the guy literaly through the car window and held him by the throat and told him if he ever saw him around this place again he would kill him.
    Mairt, chill out ffs! :D

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

No. Lets encourage it.

It seems to be the only language these boyracers understand. If that pr1ck gets a good kicking and he learns a lesson (and maybe the life of an innocent child is saved next time) then I'm all for violence. Extreme violence.

And the reason I say this is because the threat seemed to work ... the guy knew he was in serious risk of a beating. I could imagine if one of the older folks in the estate had said something to him. He would have spit in their face and him and his tarty young one with the hoopy earrings would have sped off even faster.

Violence with violence never works, those boy racer pr*cks always hang around in gangs. Fair enough, he's a big army guy, but its where he lives and its easy to terrorise anyone in their own home ! Drawing that kind of crowd on you isn't what you want. You should get into the council to install speed bumps and report the incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

I have lived in my estate for 17 years (since it was built) and we don't have much of a problem with boy racers. We have some residents who like to drive at 50km+ though and I am surprised that kids are not knocked down.

What is even more surprising is that parents allow their kids to play in the middle of the road and I regularly see adults walk down the roads ignoring the footpaths.

We have a number of large green spaces but kids still prefer to play football on the roads. When I was a child the guards used prosecute us for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Rob C

Fair play to the Army guy. Only way you can possible deal with this kind of thing nowadays I'm afraid...

I drive a very fast car but I literally crawl when entering my estate, load of kids playing in it and a football is never far away from the road, you just have to be so careful. Same through towns, you never know when somebody is just going to step out from the kerb without looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

joolsveer wrote: »
    What is even more surprising is that parents allow their kids to play in the middle of the road

+1

This is what I've been thinking through the thread. I live in a small housing estate, and it's natural that kids will play in the road etc. but I see kids as young as 3/4 out playing on the road. It is straight off a main road and they are playing directly at the entrance, where IMO they are at most risk, as the motorists are just adjusting to the housing estate driving conditions.

It's not unusual for 5 or 6 3 to 4 year olds to be playing directly in the path of incoming traffic with absolutely no supervision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

How many kids die in housing estates every year in ireland as a result of car accidents?

My guess would be a big fat zero...

Seriously if people have a problem with fellas driving too fast through residential areas they need to (a) get speed bumps put in place and/or (b) have a chat with your local TD about getting a reduced speed limit implemented for the area because 50kph is too fast.

That "hard" army fella was pathetic in my opinion. If he tried that on me he would have gotten a fair old shock...literally!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

cpoh1 wrote: »

Seriously if people have a problem with fellas driving too fast through residential areas they need to (a) get speed bumps put in place and/or (b) have a chat with your local TD about getting a reduced speed limit implemented for the area because 50kph is too fast.

That "hard" army fella was pathetic in my opinion. If he tried that on me he would have gotten a fair old shock...literally!

Yea and if people are sick of shootings in their area they should call the guards
    If a boy racer breaks a 50 kp/h speed limit surely they will break a 30 kp/h one ?????????????????
    Do you carry a stun gun in your car or is it a cattle prod you legend !!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Well you see the clever army guy, used his own shock tactic of just grabing your man unaware. Fair play to him, but this moment of anger and frustration may cost him a gang of boy racers hanging around.

I hate hate speed bumps but in housing estates like this they are the best tactic. I personally know of one child killed last year in a housing estate playing out on the road. Don't think it made the papers or anything.

Maybe people coming into an estate they don't live in is the problem.

So whos is the pathetic hard man writing something like "of he tried that on me he would of got a fair old shock...literally"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

cpoh wrote:

If some scumbag (not saying all people who drive too fast in residential areas are scumbags though) sped threw your estate in a POS, bad taste, shopping list Punto and barely missed your kid would you not do the same? Or at least want to?

You sound "hard" too mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

We live in a quiet cul-de-sac like that too, and the residents, on the whole, literally crawl around it because of all the small kids that can appear around the next corner unexpectedly. We had a case a few years ago when a young lad down the road started getting one of his mates calling round for him in his skangermobile (tinted windows so dark he probably couldn't see a damn thing), speeding along the road oblivious to the kids playing on the street. It went on for a week or so, and then one summer's evening he came rocketing down the street as usual to find a Garda car parked in his next door neighbour's drive. Unbeknown to him, but known to the rest of the street, was that a close relative of theirs was a Garda. That immediately put a stop to that one!

However, of late, we've been having a problem with another new resident, not a boy-racer this time, but a taxi driver. A quick anonymous call to his (prominently displayed) employer soon put a stop to that one too :)

Moral to the story? Don't meet this kind of muppetry with violence, there are far more satisfying, legal and most important, effective ways of dealing with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

esel wrote: »
    Mairt, chill out ffs! :D

Wasn't me, but fair dues to the soldier.

This was a fairly isolated incident. Its a very mature quiet estate. However, speed bumps are on the way, and the local TD is on our side.

Be honest here ... are you a boy racer with a baseball cap, souped up POS, and a hoopy earringed girlfriend? If so, you are welcome to come over to the estate anytime ... we'd love to meet you and tell you our opinions on speeding in residential areas in a responsible (but firm) way.

How many kids die in housing estates every year in ireland as a result of car accidents?

My guess would be a big fat zero...

My son was knocked down in our estate, luckly enough he escaped with a broken leg.

I also remember when I was working on the door of a bar in town (Dublin) and a ladies handbag was stolen. No biggie, happens all the time. But she was inconsolable - she sister explained the situation to me.

It was the girls first time out since her son had been knocked down and killed in her estate in Tallaght (my guess is this was about 7 or 8 years ago). Her son was only 3 yrs old, killed by a boy racer.

But before going out that night she insisted on taking his photos with her, including a lock of his hair as she wouldn't be parted from him. She lost it all - to a scumbag boy racer and handbag thief.

If your saying you drive like the examples given in this thread you might just be in for a shock yourself kid.

Alun wrote: »
    We live in a quiet cul-de-sac like that too, and the residents, on the whole, literally crawl around it because of all the small kids that can appear around the next corner unexpectedly. We had a case a few years ago when a young lad down the road started getting one of his mates calling round for him in his skangermobile (tinted windows so dark he probably couldn't see a damn thing), speeding along the road oblivious to the kids playing on the street. It went on for a week or so, and then one summer's evening he came rocketing down the street as usual to find a Garda car parked in his next door neighbour's drive. Unbeknown to him, but known to the rest of the street, was that a close relative of theirs was a Garda. That immediately put a stop to that one!

However, of late, we've been having a problem with another new resident, not a boy-racer this time, but a taxi driver. A quick anonymous call to his (prominently displayed) employer soon put a stop to that one too :)

Moral to the story? Don't meet this kind of muppetry with violence, there are far more satisfying, legal and most important, effective ways of dealing with it.

Yeah, to be honest I agree with you. We're working the head as well as threatening our fists on this one.

It was just one of those "I wanted to cheer" moments when he grabbed the little wank3r. And it'll be interesting to see if he ever comes speeding back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Mairt wrote: »
    to a scumbag boy racer and handbag thief.

Hold on a second now, are you referring to the chap that killed the little boy when you say boy racer, or are you saying that the guy who robbed the handbag was a scumbag boy racer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭michelleans

Saw some kids run out in front of a car in the estate here yesterday... Guy was going slowly and braked and stopped dead straight away. The kids barely noticed and it took them a good minute or two to actually get out of his way! If that had been one of the MANY boy racers around here those two kids would have been killed.

I don't know which is worse - the boy racers that speed through the estates or the parents that let their 3 year old kids play on the road.

• Advertisement

Hold on a second now, are you referring to the chap that killed the little boy when you say boy racer, or are you saying that the guy who robbed the handbag was a scumbag boy racer?

Your confusing me :o

Both are scumbags. One murdered the ladies child, one stole her memories of the child.

That chap 'cpoh1' posted "How many kids die in housing estates every year in ireland as a result of car accidents?

My guess would be a big fat zero..."

There are many, many accounts of children being killed in this way year in year out.

And I say it again 'fair dues to the soldier who came out and gave this little wanker the fright of his life'.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement