Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This happened tonight ... a few kids could easily have been killed ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Mairt wrote: »
    Your confusing me :o

Both are scumbags. One murdered the ladies child, one stole her memories of the child.

The first time I read it, I thought you were saying that the guy who stole her bag was a boy racer too, but i picked it up wrong I think!!

Move along now, nothing to see here ... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

+1 for the guy standing up to this idiot in his souped up shopping trolley.

Too many people these days are "afraid" to get involved in a situation even though it is plainly wrong.

I was walking home from coppers one night and two lads laid a girl out on the ground outside the Central Bank, maybe 8 onlookers stood by and did nothing. I ran up and knocked the guys to the ground and in fairness then the others got involved but not until I made the first move.

Couldn't believe it, everyone has mothers, sisters, grannies and they were willing to see this girl being assaulted in plain view. Delighted to see the toerags carted away in a paddywagon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

Fair play to the army guy, nice to see some community justice. Far more effective for anti-social behaviour, and better for all concerned.

Think about it - boy racer gets the fright of his life and certainly won't speed there again. He also doesn't lose his licence for dangerous driving as he probably would have done had a Guard witnessed the incident. Hopfully he'll cop the **** on in the future - I'll admit that I drove like an idiot on occasion when I as 17 and a shock like that was probably what was required.

One question though: My parents live in a similar estate - mature, no speed bumps, fairly quiet, but with a fair few young families. More often than not I see these same 'mature' individuals travelling at 50km/h+ on roads parallel to the green where kids play soccer, along which there is often a line of cars parked, making it even more dangerous should a child run out from behind one to retrieve a ball.

I've found that young drivers are often more careful in these circumstances; another thing is that boy racer cars with loud exhausts are often percieved as going faster than they are; whereas an exec could whoosh by at the same speed in his 5 series and simply not be as ostentatious, but it's still going to injure a child just as musch either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Gandalf23 wrote: »
    an army guy, fairly hard and not to be messed with ... ran over

Not hard enough to punch him! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

theres a very simeple answer to boy racers that should be implemented...

take their cars off them for good. IE never give them back.

It would stop then one way or the other. them little sh*ts are the reason Im paying €2118.87 for insurance! and I never speed... ever!

and while were on the topic... there seems to be alot more little girl racers than boy racers about these days... prob because they can get cheaper insurance. in my area the ratio is about 5:2 in favour of little girl racers. And they are even worse.

Last year one knocked me down in her yellow MG and didnt even stop... I was ok. only a klip but it stil really hurt. little b*tch was doing laps of Raheny...

I called the garda twice with teh reg plate... no action.

Shocking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Some of the generalisations on here crack me up!

Just a couple of my opinions on this matter before I leave this stupid debate:

There have been no children killed in Irish housing estates this year due to car collisions.

The 50kph speed limit is too high for a residential area and needs to be reduced.

Speed bumps should be in place in all residential areas to reduce EVERYONES speed

Nobody should ever lay a hand on somebody else EVER unless in self defence. I carry a stun gun in my car for such occasions and would gladly have used it on said hard man gi joe (i had a cutoff bat before that).

A lot of people might think that the actions of the army guy were noble/tough/correct. I just thought it was the actions of someone without the IQ to take a step back and report the car through official channels rather than lowering themselves to the level of a thug, no better or worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

grahambo wrote: »
    theres a very simeple answer to boy racers that should be implemented...

take their cars off them for good. IE never give them back.

It would stop then one way or the other. them little sh*ts are the reason Im paying €2118.87 for insurance! and I never speed... ever!

and while were on the topic... there seems to be alot more little girl racers than boy racers about these days... prob because they can get cheaper insurance. in my area the ratio is about 5:2 in favour of little girl racers. And they are even worse.

Last year one knocked me down in her yellow MG and didnt even stop... I was ok. only a klip but it stil really hurt. little b*tch was doing laps of Raheny...

I called the garda twice with teh reg plate... no action.

Shocking.

Maybe their not girl racers, but sissy looking boy-racers :p

I don't live too far from you, and we're scrourged here with the little fvckers too.

As for garda action, forget about it.

cpoh1 wrote: »
    . I carry a stun gun in my car for such occasions and would gladly have used it on said hard man gi joe (i had a cutoff bat before that).

Ah now your just talking sh*t.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Isnt it disgraceful though?

I mean its shocking like!

I rang the garda and told them she was doing laps of raheny the backup through harmonstown (she had done 3 at this stage, and went on to do another 4 or 5 on top of that)
    I told them the reg and the type of car and this thing really stood out... canary yellow.

and they did nothing. i seen her then a few hours later driving down toward donaghmede.. still booting it.

why wont they do anything?

post removed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

Agreed calmd down and deleted post.

Could you remove the quote as its unhelpful and iv gone to make Tea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

There have been no children killed in Irish housing estates this year due to car collisions.

How do you know this? Can you provide backup to that claim n the form of a link etc???
    Nobody should ever lay a hand on somebody else EVER unless in self defence. I carry a stun gun in my car for such occasions and would gladly have used it on said hard man gi joe (i had a cutoff bat before that). A lot of people might think that the actions of the army guy were noble/tough/correct. I just thought it was the actions of someone without the IQ to take a step back and report the car through official channels rather than lowering themselves to the level of a thug, no better or worse.

I think the actions of boy/girl racers are the actions of people with no IQ.

I admire what the army guy did. Reporting to the "official channels" was also done, but the guy got the fright of his life and some instant justice, and it was worth it if it makes him think twice about speeding near kids again.

Also interesting how you oppose the "violence" of the army guy and yet carry a stun gun. Are you sure your not a little girl racer with girly make up and hoopy earrings? Maybe you like the thoughts of a big though army man roughing you up ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

The 50kph speed limit is too high for a residential area and needs to be reduced.

Speed bumps should be in place in all residential areas to reduce EVERYONES speed

Nobody should ever lay a hand on somebody else EVER unless in self defence. I carry a stun gun in my car for such occasions and would gladly have used it on said hard man gi joe (i had a cutoff bat before that).

A lot of people might think that the actions of the army guy were noble/tough/correct. I just thought it was the actions of someone without the IQ to take a step back and report the car through official channels rather than lowering themselves to the level of a thug, no better or worse.

I was of the understanding that stun guns are illegal in Ireland, and the law will throw the book at you if you are found with one. Wasn't there a lad recently found with one hidden in his steering column? I think he got jailtime?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

gman2k wrote: »
    I was of the understanding that stun guns are illegal in Ireland, and the law will throw the book at you if you are found with one. Wasn't there a lad recently found with one hidden in his steering column? I think he got jailtime?

ANYTHING you have on your person or in your car that could be used as a weapon is illegal. Unless you have a valid purpose for it.

Hurley, Baseball bat, knife ... or indeed a stun gun, it will get you up in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

craichoe wrote: »
    ANYTHING you have on your person or in your car that could be used as a weapon is illegal. Unless you have a valid purpose for it.

Hurley, Baseball bat, knife ... or indeed a stun gun, it will get you up in court.

Lots of things can be used as a weapon, and having them on your person without due cause is an offence, but are stun guns prohibited in totality in Ireland?

gman2k wrote: »
    Lots of things can be used as a weapon, and having them on your person without due cause is an offence, but are stun guns prohibited in totality in Ireland?

Of course, but not under the firearms offences act, they have no other purpose but to inflict bodily harm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭cancan

While the guy was in the wrong, people with kids should realise that letting their little angels play on a road with traffic is probably not the best place for them to be honest. (Estate or no Estate)
    Hence they invented parks for people, and roads for cars...

Many a kid has ran out onto a road and it didn't take a speeding driver to knock them down...
    There is responsibility on both sides here...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

Well done army guy

@COPH1 The fact that you need feel the need to carry a Stun Gun/baseball bat/ some sort of weapon to make yourself feel hard says a lot about you in the first place, obviously us boardsies aren't the only people who think you are a muppet if you need to carry protection with you in the car there must be people who know you that don't like you too!

Army guy acted perfectly IMHO, took him out of the car, sufficiently scared him without actually harming him.

Victor_M wrote: »
    Army guy acted perfectly IMHO, took him out of the car, sufficiently scared him without actually harming him.

I am of the firm belief that you should never physically grab, push or pull someone in any instance. Wayne O’Donoghue, that guy that was done for manslaughter was only trying to scare that kid too and look how it turned out.

So much can happen when tempers are high.

I am of the firm belief that you should never physically grab, push or pull someone in any instance. Wayne O’Donoghue, that guy that was done for manslaughter was only trying to scare that kid too and look how it turned out.

So much can happen when tempers are high.

Yeaaaaaa right, thats all WoD was up to, indeed!.

• Advertisement

Sorry for going slightly off topic, but is this completely true?

I carry a sharp knife in the boot in the event of a puncture (for cable ties)

If they stopped me and searched the car, would I be in trouble?! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

Well done army guy

@COPH1 The fact that you need feel the need to carry a Stun Gun/baseball bat/ some sort of weapon to make yourself feel hard says a lot about you in the first place, obviously us boardsies aren't the only people who think you are a muppet if you need to carry protection with you in the car there must be people who know you that don't like you too!

+1

Well done army guy

Do you realise how fecking sad that comment in bold makes you sound?

I have always carried some form of protection in my car and always will. I was leaving an off licence one night a few years back and three fellas tried to pull me out of my car as i was turning the ignition. They werent after my money just my car. Ive never needed to use it but would have no hesitation if needed. After living in the uk for 2 years im under no illusions that there are some crazy people out there that would do anything to steal your car.

I find it interesting on here that people are in admiration of a guy who blatently assaults someone unprovoked and chastise another for carrying a defensive weapon against potential attack.

Im not defending the guy in the car, I just think it was a pretty uncivilised way of dealing with a problem, if the situation was reported by the young lad the army guy could have been in a lot of trouble (I understand the irony in me posting this when I have what I have under my front seat).

I have always carried some form of protection in my car and always will. I was leaving an off licence one night a few years back and three fellas tried to pull me out of my car as i was turning the ignition. They werent after my money just my car. Ive never needed to use it but would have no hesitation if needed. After living in the uk for 2 years im under no illusions that there are some crazy people out there that would do anything to steal your car.

I find it interesting on here that people are in admiration of a guy who blatently assaults someone unprovoked and chastise another for carrying a defensive weapon against potential attack.

Im not defending the guy in the car, I just think it was a pretty uncivilised way of dealing with a problem, if the situation was reported by the young lad the army guy could have been in a lot of trouble (I understand the irony in me posting this when I have what I have under my front seat).

Ok where to start!

You claim its pretty uncivilised to deal with a boy racer like this, but you justify carrying a stun gun for "defence" which is illegal in Ireland and most other civilised countries.

You claim that no children have been killed by cars in residential areas, yet you refuse to back up this claim with proof of any kind, (even when other posters have specific examples to the contrary).

And you call the actions of the army guy unjustified. I and the other "boardsies" seem to think he was justified, and his actions may have saved someone from being killed by an idiot in a car.

Coph1, I'm not sure if your just a troll here trying to derail the thread and wind people up or not. Either way your looking like an idiot boy/girl racer trying to justify the actions of the fool speeding in the car yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

you are seriously off the mark man, the fact you say the boyracer was assaulted unprovoked says it all. ????!!!!
    The boyracer was out looking for trouble by his actions the army guy was not, that is why people sympathise with the army guy, he is the benevolent knight with right on his side, most people can see this but you. Your response is to take the moral outta the argument and say "if someone did that to me" etc etc etc. After the experience you had with the 3 guys dragging you outta the car you surely should see that your response was to carry something for your protection the same way the Army guy used his might for the protection of the estate he lived in. But turning the fact that you have a weapon in the car into the "if somebody did that to me" scenario speaks to me that you may have needed to talk to someone (if you know what I mean) about the experience you had because you need to resolve this.

As far as I can see you and the army guy should be on the same side against the scum (that nicks cars or nearly mows down kids, these pups are the same breed). no?

Either way your looking like an idiot boy/girl racer trying to justify the actions of the fool speeding in the car yesterday.

Would have to disagree there on a couple of things ... He/She made no suggestion that they were a boy/girl racer, and, the poster also said they were absolutely not defending the guy, as you suggest

"Im not defending the guy in the car, I just think it was a pretty uncivilised way of dealing with a problem, if the situation was reported by the young lad the army guy could have been in a lot of trouble (I understand the irony in me posting this when I have what I have under my front seat)."

You claim its pretty uncivilised to deal with a boy racer like this, but you justify carrying a stun gun for "defence" which is illegal in Ireland and most other civilised countries.

You claim that no children have been killed by cars in residential areas, yet you refuse to back up this claim with proof of any kind, (even when other posters have specific examples to the contrary).

And you call the actions of the army guy unjustified. I and the other "boardsies" seem to think he was justified, and his actions may have saved someone from being killed by an idiot in a car.

Coph1, I'm not sure if your just a troll here trying to derail the thread and wind people up or not. Either way your looking like an idiot boy/girl racer trying to justify the actions of the fool speeding in the car yesterday.

That is exactly what im saying! Was there any need for your post considering its simply rehashed what ive written earlier?

Just to be pedantic ill repeat myself. There is a massive difference between carrying PPE in your car after having a previous incident where you were assaulted by three thugs looking to steal your car and a full grown man from the army assaulting a young fella completely unprovoked. No matter what you say assaulting someone because you think they are driving too fast is totally unjustified, if you think it is then its dreamland you are living in. What the young fella did was totally wrong but the assault was 10 times worse.

Have a chat with a solicitor friend, they will be able to get a hold of the relevant car fatality statistics as they occur. I got my partner to check earlier this morning and she confirmed for me that nobody has died in a car fatality this year involving a pedestrian under the age of 12 ANYWHERE. I dont have a silly google link to show you though so you'll no doubt just have to take my word for it.

There is a massive difference between carrying PPE in your car after having a previous incident where you were assaulted by three thugs looking to steal your car and a full grown man from the army assaulting a young fella completely unprovoked.

He was not unprovoked. The boy racer nearly mowed down his 7 year old child.
    No matter what you say assaulting someone because you think they are driving too fast is totally unjustified, if you think it is then its dreamland you are living in. What the young fella did was totally wrong but the assault was 10 times worse

No its not totally unjustified. If it saves the life of an innocent child its totally justified. I would have done the same thing if I was quicker, and its more of this kind of thing we need ... its the only thing these boy racers understand.
    Have a chat with a solicitor friend, they will be able to get a hold of the relevant car fatality statistics as they occur. I got my partner to check earlier this morning and she confirmed for me that nobody has died in a car fatality this year involving a pedestrian under the age of 12 ANYWHERE. I dont have a silly google link to show you though so you'll no doubt just have to take my word for it.

You are looking more foolish with every post. How would a solicitor have specific access to detailed statistics for child deaths in residential areas? I dont believe you know what you are talking about. Just to prove me wrong and make me look foolish, I'll post a naked picture of myself holding up a sign that says "cpoh1 is the king and is a better man than me... and is the boss of me... and I'm a big eejit" if you can post any link to that statistic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Children being killed by being knocked down tend not to make the news!
    You'llbe surprised how many road fatalities don't make headlines.

Fair play to having time to try get the facts.What about a child being badly injured by ANY idiot in a housing estate, boy racer, exec racer(so many of these guys).

The army guy did wrong in attacking the guy, but then again he had a fright, we all do stupid things in this situation.

I can understand why you have the stun gun, there are crazy's out there. But be careful using that in the worng situation, but if it makes you feel safer. (illegal or not the guy has it, they have admitted it they didn't have to) i say we get back to bashing idiots flaking around housing estates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Lads, please don't feed the troll. He'll just drag ye down to his level, then beat ye with experience :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement