Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This happened tonight ... a few kids could easily have been killed ...

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Sorry for going slightly off topic, but is this completely true?

I carry a sharp knife in the boot in the event of a puncture (for cable ties)

If they stopped me and searched the car, would I be in trouble?! :eek:

Nope ! Thats fine as it has a purpose. i.e. cutting cable ties ! Its if you can't give a reason for its use then your in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

cpoh1 wrote: »
    I got my partner to check earlier this morning and she confirmed for me that nobody has died in a car fatality this year involving a pedestrian under the age of 12 ANYWHERE. I dont have a silly google link to show you though so you'll no doubt just have to take my word for it.

March 2008 - The Garda Siochana Ombudsman Commission yesterday took over the investigation into an incident where seven-year-old Dean Ward of Finglas West was knocked down and killed by an unmarked Garda car in Finglas, Dublin, yesterday.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/garda-ombudsman-probes-childdeath-road-incident-1311690.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

DonJose wrote: »
    March 2008 - The Garda Siochana Ombudsman Commission yesterday took over the investigation into an incident where seven-year-old Dean Ward of Finglas West was knocked down and killed by an unmarked Garda car in Finglas, Dublin, yesterday.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/garda-ombudsman-probes-childdeath-road-incident-1311690.html

Good find DonJose, interesting to note that accidents do happen even with highly trained drivers and as someone earlier rightly pointed out if children are not looked after and allowed to run free on roadways people will eventually get hurt no matter the speed.

The records herself had a look at only involved civilian RTA stats, they have no access to accidents involving civial service vehicles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭thesoulfulldude

mmmmm im young and like a bit of speed.... so call me a boyracer if you want but i dont speed around estates like this story. i think everybody likes a little bit of speed but just dont talk about it. and no before you ask i dont have an exhaust or any modification on the outside of my car. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭thesoulfulldude

hey also i remember my dad getting into a problem involving a bus and right of way on the motorway. (he was forced into the hard sholder after trying to murge with traffic) so he just rang some garda number to complain about the driver, few weeks later got a call back to ask if he wanted to press charges. bit extree but there is help out there for these situations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i think everyone is being unfair to cpoh1 and misunderstanding the point they are trying to get across, which seems to be that because there have been no children killed on the roads in housing estates this year (by boy racers) that it's okay to drive really fast around estates in your sh1t heap civic with a baked bean tin duct taped to the exhaust.

just remember that it's actually okay to run children down as long as you don't kill them. maiming them for life or breaking limbs is fine apparently. :rolleyes:

+1 for the army guy.

personally I'd rather have a million boy racers scared sh1tless into slowing down rather than 1 single child killed or injured on the roads.

any parent would die protecting their child, it's what they do and anyone putting a child at risk (regardless of the outcome) deserves a good hiding at the very least.

oh and cpoh1, be sure to post what type of car do you drive and what your reg number is? I'm sure someone here will be more than happy to pass it onto the gardai for you as by having a stun gun/bat/knife (or anything else that could be construed as a weapon) in your car you are breaking the law before you even put the keys in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Good find DonJose, interesting to note that accidents do happen even with highly trained drivers and as someone earlier rightly pointed out if children are not looked after and allowed to run free on roadways people will eventually get hurt no matter the speed.

The records herself had a look at only involved civilian RTA stats, they have no access to accidents involving civial service vehicles.

Are you having a Laugh?

most of the Garda are not highly trained.

they have a few weeks on a driver training course, with no other cars or people or other moving objects and dangers. And believe me, its as basic as a training course could be. Many of them cant even drive when they start.

+1 to the Army guy.

We have a major problem where I live with LBR's and LGR's. I have seen on occasion, people taking the law into there own hands.

and they have to.. because Raheny Garda Station just isn't interested.

and its a DAMN SHAME, it really is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

I think the best thing at this stage of the thread is to ignore any idiot troll who attempts to justify speeding, or carrying any offensive weapon.

They have shown themselves to be fools, and they will learn hard lessons the hard way. I just pray they dont harm anyone else (especially an innocent child) in the process. From now on lets just ignore them for the wan3ers they obviously are.

OK, an update on this story. My Mum told me that the boy racer guy was driving thro the estate this morning at a snails pace. He looked up and down the road and when he saw the army guys car was not there he screeched tyres and sped away.

So this leads me to believe thet ONLY thing slowing down the little pr1ck was the threat of a good kicking. The Guards and local politicians have been told of the guys speeding but nothing (as far as we know ) has been done. The Guards have limited powers, and are not really interested imho.

The only thing slowing him down was the threat from the army guy.

Its a sad commentry. The guy is not afraid of the Guards, local older residents, local politicians, being in an accident himself, or harming another person/child with reckless driving. The ONLY thing the boy racer is worried about is the army guy, and the guaranteed beating resulting from him being caught speeding.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Gandalf123,
    How about you and some of your neighbours arm yourselves with video cameras - or camera phones - and record his antics.

If you give this to the Guards as evidence then they can't ignore you.

You couldn't prove anything about what speed he was going, it might support a dangerous or careless driving charge though.

• Advertisement

Gandalf23 wrote: »
    I think the best thing at this stage of the thread is to ignore any idiot troll who attempts to justify speeding, or carrying any offensive weapon.

They have shown themselves to be fools, and they will learn hard lessons the hard way. I just pray they dont harm anyone else (especially an innocent child) in the process. From now on lets just ignore them for the wan3ers they obviously are.

For once I actually agree with you 100%. Anyone who thinks its ok to drive at speed in a densely populated area where there is the potential for children at play should be punished. Speed limits should be lower and speed reduction devices should be in place (whether they be speed bumps or garda speed checks).Anyone who thinks differently is as you rightly put a wan3er.

I think gandalf the only difference in opinion between us is that I believe in going through the proper channels when dealing with lawbreakers regardless of age or sex and would never ever condone assaulting a fellow road user unless in self defence.

stevec wrote: »
    Gandalf123,
    How about you and some of your neighbours arm yourselves with video cameras - or camera phones - and record his antics.

If you give this to the Guards as evidence then they can't ignore you.

You couldn't prove anything about what speed he was going, it might support a dangerous or careless driving charge though.

Yep, great idea. We haven't done this yet because its hard to predict when the guy will be around. Definitely worth doing tho if it can be organised.

For once I actually agree with you 100%. Anyone who thinks its ok to drive at speed in a densely populated area where there is the potential for children at play should be punished. Speed limits should be lower and speed reduction devices should be in place (whether they be speed bumps or garda speed checks).Anyone who thinks differently is as you rightly put a wan3er.

I think gandalf the only difference in opinion between us is that I believe in going through the proper channels when dealing with lawbreakers regardless of age or sex and would never ever condone assaulting a fellow road user unless in self defence.

You have admitted to being a "lawbreaker" ... please provide me by PM with your name, address, and car reg number so that I can report you through the "proper channels" for carrying an illegal offensive weapon.

You have admitted to being a "lawbreaker" ... please provide me by PM with your name, address, and car reg number so that I can report you through the "proper channels" for carrying an illegal offensive weapon.

You really are a clown of the highest order you know that?

You are either (A) really young (B) are in a very bad state mentally or (C) pissed off your tits to write some of the posts you do. At least some of the lads in my office are getting a kick out of you anyway so keep up the great work and keep the good **** coming!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

OK, an update on this story. My Mum told me that the boy racer guy was driving thro the estate this morning at a snails pace. He looked up and down the road and when he saw the army guys car was not there he screeched tyres and sped away.

So this leads me to believe thet ONLY thing slowing down the little pr1ck was the threat of a good kicking. The Guards and local politicians have been told of the guys speeding but nothing (as far as we know ) has been done. The Guards have limited powers, and are not really interested imho.

The only thing slowing him down was the threat from the army guy.

Its a sad commentry. The guy is not afraid of the Guards, local older residents, local politicians, being in an accident himself, or harming another person/child with reckless driving. The ONLY thing the boy racer is worried about is the army guy, and the guaranteed beating resulting from him being caught speeding.

Wait, he came BACK and drove around slowly because he was afraid, sounds more like he came back with a few lads to look for the guy.

Seriously... scum like that will come back and post sh*t in your letterbox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

craichoe wrote: »
    Wait, he came BACK and drove around slowly because he was afraid,

from the description given he was afraid and should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

You really are a clown of the highest order you know that?

You are either (A) really young (B) are in a very bad state mentally or (C) pissed off your tits to write some of the posts you do. At least some of the lads in my office are getting a kick out of you anyway so keep up the great work and keep the good **** coming!
    it's funny that you think that about one of the posters on this thread because (from a lot of the comments here) most of the poster on this thread are thinking exactly the same thing about you mate, so well done.

when you say "the lads in my office" it's not the Max Power office is it? :rolleyes:

vibe666 wrote: »
    it's funny that you think that about one of the posters on this thread because (from a lot of the comments here) most of the poster on this thread are thinking exactly the same thing about you mate, so well done.

when you say "the lads in my office" it's not the Max Power office is it? :rolleyes:

Whats maxpower?

I would think that the people agreeing with Gandalf the wizard are the ones with the screws loose, most civilised people dont go round pulling people out of cars and threatening to kill them. In anybodys world thats crazy behaviour. Anyway Vibe dont worry the lads in the office are now laughing at you too.

Come to think of it one of them has even suggested that gandalf the wizard has made the whole incident up just for the benefit of stirring things up with his cyber buddies. And after we had a read off some of his older rantings im inclined to agree. A moderator needs to lock this rubbish up otherwise well have GI Joe on here threatening me next...

• Registered Users Posts: 65,423 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Enough already

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement