Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dunphy's "Ronaldo is a disgrace to the game"

• 23-04-2008 10:05pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Have to say as a football fan in general I don't like Ronaldos diving etc (I still think if he cuts that out of his game he will be one of the best in the world for a long long time) and to be honest I didn't watch the whole match tonight but was Ronaldo really that bad... giving out to his own players, diving etc??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I didn't think so really but I was only half watching it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

When did he dive tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,670 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Have to say as a football fan in general I don't like Ronaldos diving etc (I still think if he cuts that out of his game he will be one of the best in the world for a long long time) and to be honest I didn't watch the whole match tonight but was Ronaldo really that bad... giving out to his own players, diving etc??

he was nearly as bad as deco for going down way to easy

He was very bad tonight

if Roy keane was playing tonight he wouldn't let Ronaldo get away with tonights stuff

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

PHB wrote: »

I don't know, hence why I am asking. Dunphy went on a rant about it say he was diving all over the place tonight and that he was trying to trick the ref by saying players were pushing him etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Trizo

tbh i dont listen to word that Dunphy says he's full of BS and is only looking to sell papers in the morning so he can fuel his drug/drink habit :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I thought he was awful tonight. Dived, complained and moaned his way through the game. A disgrace to the game though ? No, just typical Dunphy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

jonny24ie wrote: »

OH FFS

Question for you Johnny24.ie, if you were a WINGER playing up front on your OWN away to BARCELONA and your manager sends out a 451 with your best attacking players playing deep with drawn roles which only serve to defend.

What do you do?

How on earth to people belive that Dunphy actually has a clue about football and think what he says is gospel.

Souness was on Sky telling it like it was.

EDIT pool fans jumping on the Dunphy bandwagon....Le tallec vs Thuram/Zambrotta eh ??? same thing only pool tinted glasses?

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

I'm with Dunphy on this one

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Trizo wrote: »
    tbh i dont listen to word that Dunphy says he's full of BS and is only looking to sell papers in the morning so he can fuel his drug/drink habit :)

Actually when he started the rant I could have sworn he was drunk/drinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Dunphy wants to get a rise from United fans and he's succeeded. Doesn't matter if he's right or not, people bite every week and it's f*ckin hilarious

• Advertisement

come on PHB he went down to easy in tonights game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

If anything Giles went after Ronaldo just as heavily as Dunphy did. I support Man United and I have to say I can see what they're saying. It's more than just diving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭buckfast4me

I think what Dunphy was trying to say (but was too drunk/etc to get it out) was that he was unhappy with Ronaldo being an ambassador to football because of his behaviour tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

KdjaCL wrote: »
    How on earth to people belive that Dunphy actually has a clue about football and think what he says is gospel.

Dunphy does have a clue. He's a very smart fella, but he over exaggerates for entertainment value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

The diving is certainley the biggest problem I'd have with him I personally don't care what Dunphy has to say about him.

But theres so many times he dives when he'd be much better off staying on his feet instead of rolling around on the ground like tw*t. I think he still needs to mature a bit more.

He dived a few times tonight PHB. But wasnt just tonight he dose it alot in League games aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Dunphy wants to get a rise from United fans and he's succeeded. Doesn't matter if he's right or not, people bite every week and it's f*ckin hilarious

+1

kdjac

If anything Giles went after Ronaldo just as heavily as Dunphy did. I support Man United and I have to say I can see what they're saying. It's more than just diving.

totaly agree Vince

but why dont the refs book him

Xavi summed it up perfectly, it's how he makes his living.

When did he dive? Give me a specific incident? I think I saw one dive that wasn't really a dive, just was him appealing to a foul when there was no foul (Zambrotta on the far side of the pitch near the touchline where he out muscled him)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

sing us another one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I think I saw one dive that wasn't really a dive, just was him appealing to a foul when there was no foul

:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Exactly. I can't believe people still get offended from the ramblings of this clown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Anyone who says the RTE panel haven't a clue are fooling themselves. Just because you don't want to hear something doesn't mean its not right.

As a previous poster said this lad has been called the best player in the world, Dunphy went back on his statements to appease the people who bitched and moaned about him. Dunphy was open-minded but Ronaldo has not delivered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Your lucky u live in Oz Xavi ;) not having to watch him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

Didnt he say before the match he wanted United to win the game? Being bias towards them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Willstev wrote: »
    Your lucky u live in Oz Xavi ;) not having to watch him.

Nah I love watching him. Seriously, he's a punditry genius in comparison to the shite I'd to listen to tonight.

Anyway, I think Xavi summed it up best -
    In England, if you do a couple of things right, people talk about you being a legend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

tdv wrote: »
    Didnt he say before the match he wanted United to win the game? Being bias towards them.

Darn right.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

When did he dive tonight
    You serious? If a barca player came near him down he went.

RE*AC*TOR wrote: »
    sing us another one

Once again you mock the post, why? Because you've no response to it.
    You serious? If a barca player came near him down he went.

Sorry, but that's because either
    A. The Barca player fouled him
    B. The Barca played beat him for the ball and he lost his balance (Like when Zambrotta did a couple of times, just used his body to push him off the ball with some great defending)

When did he dive? When did he simulate falling over?

Ronaldo was annoying today because he appealed for everything, everything, but then again, so does every other player bar the odd show of honesty, and it is the odd show. Ronaldo just happens to be on the ball more than anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Tonight i have to admit he bugged me a lot. Not so much diving, as going down a little easy very regularly, under non fouls (where the ball was gotten as well as himself) and them gesticulating to the sky. He just kept doing it! When I kept noticing as well as that the camera would show him with arms to the sky, then carry on showing the game, but as the action passed his part of the field, he was still on his knee's on the ground looking sulky rather then getting back into action. Really annoyed me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Dunphy could have expressed himself better but I think the panel's complaints were valid. I was rooting for Ronaldo before the penalty - and indeed after he missed it - but following that he just seemed to lose his head totally. Went out of sorts, started sulking and whinging, let his frustrations boil over. I was really disappointed in him. He's been heralded as potentially the world's finest player but tonight he did a Gallas and was very unprofessional.

If Keano was still around I bet he'd have given him a bollocking and told him to get on with it instead of doing the playing to the cameras bullsh*t.

Once again you mock the post, why? Because you've no response to it.

I think the truth is self-evident. Not sure why you've a hard-on for arguing against the obvious, but why would I bother trying to convince someone that black is black, when they insist it is white?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Since when has Ronaldo become Man Utd :confused:

This match was turned in to the Ronaldo -v- Messi show by the RTE panel.

And they accuse Sky & BBC of hype and being blinded by individual talent :rolleyes:

Giles says before the match he's not going to argue with Sir Alex, then after the match he says he doesn't give a toss about Sir Alex :rolleyes:

RE*AC*TOR wrote: »
    I think the truth is self-evident. Not sure why you've a hard-on for arguing against the obvious, but why would I bother trying to convince someone that black is black, when they insist it is white?

Yeh, once again, great response. I'll have to remember that one. You argument is so wrong, that the truth is self-evident, and therefore I won't ever dispute it.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Tonight i have to admit he bugged me a lot. Not so much diving, as going down a little easy very regularly, under non fouls (where the ball was gotten as well as himself) and them gesticulating to the sky. He just kept doing it! When I kept noticing as well as that the camera would show him with arms to the sky, then carry on showing the game, but as the action passed his part of the field, he was still on his knee's on the ground looking sulky rather then getting back into action. Really annoyed me!

What annoyed me most about his performance was his lack of any sort of effort when we didn't have possession. Normally I excuse this because it means he can still sprint 90 miles an hour in the last 5 minutes of the game, but he wasn't even doing that tonight. His work rate tonight was disappointing.

His diving, or lack thereof, and his lack of end product, or not, were not disappointing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

When did he dive? Give me a specific incident? I think I saw one dive that wasn't really a dive, just was him appealing to a foul when there was no foul (Zambrotta on the far side of the pitch near the touchline where he out muscled him)

you do realise it was his exaggerations of the fouls that led to the penalties not being given for United? (and the same for Iniesta tbh). falling over like you've been hit by a high calibre bullet does no one any favours, contact or none.

• Advertisement

Yeh, once again, great response. I'll have to remember that one. You argument is so wrong, that the truth is self-evident, and therefore I won't ever dispute it.
    You can take it or leave it. It matters not to me. Delusions are a one way street.

you do realise it was his exaggerations of the fouls that led to the penalties not being given for United? (and the same for Iniesta tbh). falling over like you've been hit by a high calibre bullet does no one any favours, contact or none.

Yep, I've already bitched about it in the thread, and all season actually if you look back at my posts. It annoys me extremely. I blame it almost completely on that dive at Derby.
    Because before that, he had actually stopped diving significantly, and even now, he doesn't dive that much at all, infact I think his last real dive was against Derby. He often goes down easy, but then again, if you ever run at full speed and someone clips you you tend to go down easy.

While I praise him tonight for getting those 3 peno fouls, I also blame him for them not being given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,480 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

ronaldo was muck tonight, the rte panel have a bone to pick. end of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Personally, I have no problem with diving. having a talented diver on your team like Drogba is a massive asset and I failt to believe managers dont encourage it in the dressing room.

Giving out to your own player because you are the best on the team is out of line though. Didn't see Ronaldo do it but I've seen Ajax a couple of times on Setanta and whenever they are losing Hunelaar is going insane non stop when his team don't give him the ball. To cap it off he's captain. Very poor form

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

While I praise him tonight for getting those 3 peno fouls, I also blame him for them not being given.

in fairness in the other thead you lauded him for having a good game under the circumstances because he 'won' those penos yet agree that he nullified his own impact? does that not qualify as a bad game? if that doesn't what does?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Lads, seriously, we have made a thread on the ridiculous comments Dunphy has made throughout his punditry career, why we are going to especially consider this to be absolute truth is a little crazy considering some of the other points he's made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

From the people who brought you:

19:37 - "Ibrahimovic is the best stiker in the World at the moment and he will hurt Liverpool"

21:31 - "Ibrahimovic is an overhyped striker, who in reality is average at best"

I dont watch the stuff at half time or after. And there is a reason for that. I was however very dissappointed with Ronaldo tonight, things didnt go his way and he got in a huff.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Personally, I have no problem with diving. having a talented diver on your team like Drogba is a massive asset and I failt to believe managers dont encourage it in the dressing room.

Don't know about you, but if I want to see "talented divers", i'll watch the Olympics, not football. Diving in football should be stamped out, and under no circumstances be encouraged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Muff_Daddy wrote: »
    Diving in football should be stamped out, .

Literally. If the ref deems a player going down to be a dive, the oppositions dedicated stamper should be allowed to do him once with his studs. Repeat until players are too afraid too dive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Yeah we all know ronaldo dives, it seems to be worse when hes frustrated but thats no excuse, to say hes a disgrace to the game, i donno... he acts like a bold child that cant get his way, but there are no negitive repercussions to stop his antics.

Yes he should be more professional, but what about Drogba! no mention of his antics - he's as bad imo if not worse, he really hams it up. both Ronaldo and Drogba have such tallent they shouldnt need this in their game. Cards for play-acting are required to cut it out - it is supposed to be sport after all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I think diving adds a massive mental element to the sport, a whole new dimension and plane for defenders to think about while getting close to forwards in the penalty box and takes alot of talent to pull off on a regular basis when you have a reputation for being one.While I agree that diving shouldn't be encouraged by the media or in public (that would ruin it somewhat) I don't see why it is seen as a cardinal sin.

At the end of the day (sorry), if Man Utd wer eplaying Liverpool in the champions league final, 90th minute, Ronaldo gets in the box, dives wins a penalty and Man Utd win the cup, will United fans care? No. They'd end up hailing Ronaldo for having the balls to do it on the grandest scale with everybody watching. Was the Hand of God wrong and against the rules? Yes. Do people villify it? no, not anymore. If anything it's the most famous goal in the world and a message to footballers that it's OK to cheat if the ends are justified. Keep in mind who won that World Cup (hope to God it wasn't West Germany ;))

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

I don't see why it is seen as a cardinal sin.

It is a scourge that should be stamped out. Its cheating. End of!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I

At the end of the day (sorry), if Man Utd wer eplaying Liverpool in the champions league final, 90th minute, Ronaldo gets in the box, dives wins a penalty and Man Utd win the cup, will United fans care? No. They'd end up hailing Ronaldo for having the balls to do it on the grandest scale with everybody watching. Was the Hand of God wrong and against the rules? Yes. Do people villify it? no, not anymore. If anything it's the most famous goal in the world and a message to footballers that it's OK to cheat if the ends are justified. Keep in mind who won that World Cup (hope to God it wasn't West Germany ;))

Ask English fans their opinion of Maradonas "goal" to see if it isnt vilified. This is an Irish board so a section here celebrate the goal because it was against England. It was cheating pure and simple. Just like diving.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

I think diving adds a massive mental element to the sport, a whole new dimension and plane for defenders to think about while getting close to forwards in the penalty box and takes alot of talent to pull off on a regular basis when you have a reputation for being one.While I agree that diving shouldn't be encouraged by the media or in public (that would ruin it somewhat) I don't see why it is seen as a cardinal sin.

That's like saying shoplifting adds a massive mental element to going to the supermarket, something a shopkeeper needs to think about when encountering a customer. Diving is con-artistary, and is not a footballing trait in any way, shape or form.

What about actually being able to use your footballing talents, be they technical, physical or creative, to score a goal without having to resort to conning the referee into giving a penalty when there was no contact?

KdjaCL wrote: »
    OH FFS

Question for you Johnny24.ie, if you were a WINGER playing up front on your OWN away to BARCELONA and your manager sends out a 451 with your best attacking players playing deep with drawn roles which only serve to defend.

What do you do?

Souness was on Sky telling it like it was.

EDIT pool fans jumping on the Dunphy bandwagon....Le tallec vs Thuram/Zambrotta eh ??? same thing only pool tinted glasses?

kdjac

Well I didn't see the whole match, from what I saw it was typical Ronaldo but no end product/service. When I was after coming back into the room I heard Dunphy on his rant and was wondering if it was really as bad as dunphy said?

• Advertisement
Advertisement