Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dunphy's "Ronaldo is a disgrace to the game"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Whose opinion more informed?

A former professional player of the game

or

Some internet random fanboy

Dunphy, like him or loathe him, at least has some qualification. He may be immersed in his own crapulence, obsessed with his own opinions ... actually, it occurs to me that the reason he has problems with "he who must not be criticised" is they are so alike.

Why do the same bods emerge thread after thread to indulge in the same baying? Whatever about the wind-up merchants, the Mods should try not to get dragged into pointless entrenched argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

You cant play great in every single game, every time Ronnie has a medicre game everyone gets on his back when tbh he is the most consistently brilliant player in the world. One of the pundits got it right tonight when asked if he was a small game player, he answered that with all the goals he has scored this year United must be playing a whole load of small games.

LOL @ Ronaldo haters it makes it so much sweeter when he destroys your teams.

United do play a lot of small games, basically anyone outside of Arsenal, Chelsea and sometimes Liverpool. Ronaldo bottled it in a big game again last night. It's all well and good scoring against Bolton or Fulham but he never does it against any bigger teams.

And he's an irritating petulant twat, but that's neither here nor there :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Never does it against big teams is just wrong. Had a few good games against big teams, and has scored big goals. Doesn't do well enough in big games is obvious to most people.

I'd love to see Dunphy's real opinion.

However, last night that may or may not have been Dunphy's opinion.
    He does the same trick every time.

If United are playing, any time Ronaldo doesn't score a hattrick he'll call him ****e. Makes Liverpool fans happy, see this thread
    If Liverpool are playing, he'll call them ****e, say they can't win anything. Makes United fans happy, see other threads.

He is not saying his opinion. He is saying a calculated thing in order to ensure his ratings and his continued high salary. He is playing people for a fool.

PHB wrote: »

He is saying a calculated thing in order to ensure his ratings and his continued high salary. He is playing people for a fool.

It's the equivalent, then, of a striker (Torres, e.g.) winding up a defender (Matrix e,g) to draw a foul. That's OK in your opinion. In fact, he's asking for a booking for C Ronaldo, again OK in your creed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Never does it against big teams is just wrong. Had a few good games against big teams, and has scored big goals. Doesn't do well enough in big games is obvious to most people.

However, last night that may or may not have been Dunphy's opinion.
    He does the same trick every time.

If United are playing, any time Ronaldo doesn't score a hattrick he'll call him ****e. Makes Liverpool fans happy, see this thread
    If Liverpool are playing, he'll call them ****e, say they can't win anything. Makes United fans happy, see other threads.

He is not saying his opinion. He is saying a calculated thing in order to ensure his ratings and his continued high salary. He is playing people for a fool.

He was up for your team. He believes your team will win the Champions League. He eat his words and conceded Ronaldo is a great player in order to appease people like you.

He doesn't expect Ronaldo to score hattricks but he does expect him if he is the 'best player in the world' to be able to play intelligent. Messi was not devestating last night, but he was smart...he knows when to pass, he is on another level in terms of talent to Ronaldo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I want my players to dive as long as they are able to. As Ian Wright said, if they are going to do it, we are going to do it.
    I don't blame the players. They should do it (cleverly, not like Ronaldo who does it stupidly, but like Iniesta or Gerrard who avoid the reputation of a diver)

The people are blame are the authorities.
    I think a simple retrospective 5 match ban for anyone caught diving on video evidence (even if the ref has acted on it) would remove diving from the game over the course of the season.

---

That said I have no problem with a player asking for another player to be booked. They have ever right to question the refs decision. If a player, normally a skill player, is getting constantly fouled and the ref does nothign about it, why shouldn't be say 'Hey, that guy should get a booking'

Thats what Torres did during the recent game at OT and what happened he got booked which then led to the sending off of Mascerano

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

RE*AC*TOR wrote: »
    I deny it. Messi is twice the player.

Right, I believe Messi is a better player, but Ronaldo has been amazing all season, whereas Messi has been either injured or not played consistently well! Ronaldo will win World Player of the year, that's my only point...I won't like it either, mind you!

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭spiderdan

"I'll tell you Bill- Paul Scholes he's a great player, Fantastic"

Quality stuff- the big smerk on Bill's face, he's like a kid on Christmas day when Eamo acts up! Much more entertaining then the game itself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

For those who haven't seen it, here's Eamo!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Xavi6 wrote: »
    For those who haven't seen it, here's Eamo!!!!!

In summary : Barcelona are a spent team. Man Utd are not a great team but they are the best team in England.

Wow. Must not be much hope for football at all seeing as he called A.C Milan has beens and Inter Milan 'no great shakes'.

Who does he actually think ARE a great side ? Oh yeah, Valencia who are only a few points above the relegation zone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,849 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

On a side note I witnessed Ruby Walsh pushing a woman out of the way in a chippers...

and how Johnny Giles can call Ronaldo "disgraceful" against Arsenal. :confused: Choose your words more wisely there Johnny there there, and there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

I think Dunphy's comments were a bit ott and I was surprised at Gilesy's choice of words too when describing Ronaldo. Brady was the most diplomatic of the three when he just said Ronaldo was flawed but not a disgrace.

Anyway the RTE analysis is always entertaining to watch not like the dull and boring sky and bbc experts afraid to get off the fence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

dull and boring sky and bbc experts

"These....people on BBC and Sky"

No doubt he went overboard last night. As Bill said its amazing the passion/conviction these guys have regarding the Ronaldo debate.

Heres one,

If Ronaldo plays a blinder in the 2nd leg.

Will they retract their comments?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Gegerty

United fan here. I have to agree with Dunphy, Ronaldo was diving and whinging like a spoilt little boy. He will probably win world player of the year because of his consistent goal scoring but as Dunphy and Jiles said there's more to great players than scoring goals.

I will say one thing, was at a game at old trafford and was on the front row along the line of the wing and had Ronaldo coming thundering down the wing at full speed in my direction. It only takes a little touch to trip him up at that speed. All the players know that if they just tip him he goes down, sometimes he genuinely is triped and other times he dives. But he does get fouled a lot and its the way he goes down and whinges that makes it look bad.

Either way he should quit his whinging and I also think his free kicks are rubbish. Anyone can toe bog and when you take 3/4/5 free kicks every game the chances are the wind is going to catch one eventually and make it swerve nicely and look like it was his "technique" that did it. It's rubbish, they're toe bogs and thats all there is to his technique. Fair play to Hargreaves for stepping in and scoring that beauty against Aresenal.

Will they retract their comments?

Well Eamon's been man enought to admit he was wrong about him in the past, he said as much last night.

I have to agree with alot of Xavi's comments in this thread. Dunphy is there because he gets to all kinds of fans through what he says. I remember the days when United fans loved him when Roy Keane was at United and Dunphy would never say a bad thing about the team. He actually used to never stop praising the team, it suited United fans then ;). Hes a great journalist because he is wild and gets people attention(Thats what he is supposed to be doing!). Hes been giving Liverpool stick as long as I can remember and I've still always got laughs out of him when he used to slag the Heskeys and Traores of the team even though im a huge Liverpool fan, it was entertaining & funny! If you dont like what he is saying, don't listen!

As for Ronaldo, I do think Ronaldo is a great player but he has alot of traits that the former & current greats of the world didn't have. The Zidanes, Figos, Ronaldinhos etc would perform in the big games & wouldn't moan about not getting their own way. Sure they dived as do alot of pros but they wouldn't give the play acting that Drogba and Ronaldo give to try to get the decision, they would just get on with the game like the battle it should be. Ronaldo's 38 goals at this point is remarkable and fair play to him but I feel when he doesn't get his way in most of the big games he goes totally off the boil with his moaning and diving. He was shouting and moaning at teammates..... that shouldn't be on and I am so suprised that Ferguson hasn't kicked him up the arse for it yet. As Dunphy rightly pointed out - Scholes was excellent last night and showed what a true pro is. Someone that doesn't moan, dive , give out at his own players etc but gets on with the game and gets stuck in.

No player should be bigger then any team & I think sometimes Ronaldo sometimes needs to refresh his memory of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Drogba and Gerrard dive just as much as Ronaldo.

I know i probably shouldnt respond to this, but although you have a point about Drogba, if you cannot see how Gerrard is different to the two mentioned, i despair, i really do :( 1)his attitude, although at times is not what i may wish it was, he is nowhere near the other two when it comes to throwing his toys out of the pram, and he dives nowhere near as much as the other two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Annoys me when the anti-Irish bigots on Youtube have a field day over this sort of thing from RTE. Like this comment from 'rooneh9'...

"I would LUV IT if the OIRISH died. LUV IT.

"Support your local team, chat about your favourite potatoes and the best way to sell pegs.

"If you hate England so much, how come you all support United or Liverpool."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

But a lot of people in Ireland ask this question too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

But a lot of people in Ireland ask this question too.

True enough. It was the earlier bits that most annoyed me.

Annoys me when the anti-Irish bigots on Youtube have a field day over this sort of thing from RTE. Like this comment from 'rooneh9'...

"Support your local team,

He may be racist, but his point is not without merit.

who hates England? I certainly dont.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

I think I must have been watching a different match than this guy :

As written by the Manchester Evening News' Paul Hince following last night's 0-0 draw:

"A GALAXY of stars gathered at the impressive Nou Camp Stadium in Barcelona last night but none twinkled as brightly as that of Cristiano Ronaldo.

'This Champions League semi-final was billed as the clash of the titans between Ronaldo and Barca's Lionel Messi.

'It was nothing of the sort. Messi is a wonderful player of that there is no doubt. But he's not in Ronaldo's league.

'Remarkable Ronnie is a genuine 24-carat genius."

emc2 wrote: »

As written by the Manchester Evening News' Paul Hince following last night's 0-0 draw:

"A GALAXY of stars gathered at the impressive Nou Camp Stadium in Barcelona last night but none twinkled as brightly as that of Cristiano Ronaldo.

'This Champions League semi-final was billed as the clash of the titans between Ronaldo and Barca's Lionel Messi.

'It was nothing of the sort. Messi is a wonderful player of that there is no doubt. But he's not in Ronaldo's league.

Paul Hince is 'Cristiano Ronaldo' in English

^^^

that is ****ing hilarious, maybe PHB works for Manchester Evening News? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭rahim

You'd have to feel sorry for this guy, I think Ronaldo is a fantastic player but based on last night that's just delusional! Ronaldo didn't have a good game at all last night and Messi (especially for a guy who's only coming back from injury) was brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Thats ****in brilliant!!!!! lads to be fair to him, as i have already said, he did alright last night, considering the tactics employed and where he was playing i thought he played well.... the diving and petulance aside.....i think we will see a different Ronaldo in the second leg, i hope so anyway!

alot of people want to ignore the positives about his performance last night for obvious reasons, thats fine....i watched the whole thing and i can make my own mind up regardless of others opinions....he wasnt the best player in the world last night....he wasnt allowed to be....but he did play well when you factor in the formation and tactics...

his general play was good, his flicks and passes worked 9 times out of 10...he just goes down too easily and then moans, thats what people like to focus on....

i was one of the first to say he pissed me off with some of his behaviour last night, but its not to say he didnt play well

the guy who wrote the article is obviously just ignoring all ronaldos faults, he isnt any worse then the guys who ignore his positives though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

kryogen wrote: »
    Thats ****in brilliant!!!!! lads to be fair to him, as i have already said, he did alright last night, considering the tactics employed and where he was playing i thought he played well.... the diving and petulance aside.....i think we will see a different Ronaldo in the second leg, i hope so anyway!

alot of people want to ignore the positives about his performance last night for obvious reasons, thats fine....i watched the whole thing and i can make my own mind up regardless of others opinions....he wasnt the best player in the world last night....he wasnt allowed to be....but he did play well when you factor in the formation and tactics...

his general play was good, his flicks and passes worked 9 times out of 10...he just goes down too easily and then moans, thats what people like to focus on....

i was one of the first to say he pissed me off with some of his behaviour last night, but its not to say he didnt play well

the guy who wrote the article is obviously just ignoring all ronaldos faults, he isnt any worse then the guys who ignore his positives though

Great post, well said

kryogen wrote: »

He said: "Messi is a wonderful player of that there is no doubt. But he's not in Ronaldo's league."

Give me a break! Messi has just come back from injury and had a much better game than Ronaldo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Imagine all the young kids out there playing football. And this joker is hailed as the world's best player! Some example he is!
    In fairness to him though, if you put aside his lack of moral courage, his need to be the star of the show, his cheating, dishonourable nature, and general lack of human decency, he's actually a talented footballer.

• Advertisement

Messi had a good game, but some of you are going over board. A few nice touches and a few decent passes, but in general he was dealt with efficiently.

As much as some of you wanted him to do, he didn't do a Kaka

Unearthly wrote: »
    Messi had a good game, but some of you are going over board. A few nice touches and a few decent passes, but in general he was dealt with efficiently.

So Ronaldo had a better game?

jasonorr wrote: »
    So Ronaldo had a better game?

No I never said that in my post did I?:confused:

No I never said that in my post did I?:confused:

OK, well did I ever say Messi did a Kaka?

I just think that saying Ronaldo, based on last nights performance is out of Messis league is preposterous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

He was double marked for the entire game.
    Lets see what he does at OT

OK, well did I ever say Messi did a Kaka?

Well I wasn't referring to you specifically, just in general from peoples comments saying he was great. I count a great performance as someone who makes the difference and decides the match. Kaka did that last year, Messi did not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

they are incomparable last night.....United were playing totally defensively so how could Ronaldo play to his best and showcase his talents???

Barca on the other hand had all the possesion and even though he had a few nice touches did Messi have any more impact on the final outcome of the game then Ronaldo???

Im not saying Messi isnt up there with Ronaldo as the best player in the world, im just saying to try and justify saying he is much better then ronaldo, on the evidence of that one game, where they were both playing opposite roles basically, Messi was licensed to attack at will and given the freedom to do what he wanted(still unable to break the defense by they way) and Ronaldo was often the furthest man forward, facing a 4 on 1 situation when in possession, with noone making runs ahead of him to pass it to, often having to pass it back, which he did, often having to try a little trick to make space, which he did.... unfortunately he couldnt break the defense either....

get some perspective people

IrishMike wrote: »
    He was double marked for the entire game.
    Lets see what he does at OT

Every Barcelona player seemed to be double marked in that game. lol!
    Well I wasn't referring to you specifically, just in general from peoples comments saying he was great. I count a great performance as someone who makes the difference and decides the match. Kaka did that last year, Messi did not.

No, he didn't, but I was very impressed with him last night and not really with Ronaldo...looking forward to seeing what they both can do next week!

If Messi played up front on his own, how do you think he would have done?

One match does not settle debates imo. Especially when Messi wasn't even playing that well by his standards. His general play was great, his end product wasn't anywhere near the quality he normally delivers.
    That's why its so absurd to compare players on this one match.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭rahim

If Messi played up front on his own, how do you think he would have done?

One match does not settle debates imo. Especially when Messi wasn't even playing that well by his standards. His general play was great, his end product wasn't anywhere near the quality he normally delivers.
    That's why its so absurd to compare players on this one match.

Agreed. I was just saying that the comments of Paul Hince (based on last nights game it appears) were a bit ridiculous. It would be unfair to compare the players based on last night (totally different circumstances) and it has no benefit anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

KdjaCL wrote: »
    OH FFS

Question for you Johnny24.ie, if you were a WINGER playing up front on your OWN away to BARCELONA and your manager sends out a 451 with your best attacking players playing deep with drawn roles which only serve to defend.

What do you do?

nice rant maybe try reading the actual post your quoting, how are you allowed to moderate this forum, plain ridiculous.

and just another thing alot of people think utd set up for a defence game, but i disagree they put out a team to attack but that team lost all the major battles and ended up on the back foot, why would you play tevez,rooney,ronaldo and park to defend a game? doesnt add up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,849 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

mayordenis wrote: »
    and just another thing alot of people think utd set up for a defence game, but i disagree they put out a team to attack but that team lost all the major battles and ended up on the back foot, why would you play tevez,rooney,ronaldo and park to defend a game? doesnt add up.

Its fairly obvious that United were set up for a counter attacking game,Tevez was playing very deep. Rooney on the wings because he tracks back, Scholes playing deep, Carrick playing deep, Park in the team because he'll run and track back...4 defenders and a goalkeeper...that still not defensive to you? then those group of players were set up to react to the counter attack and did a poor job of it.

adds up alright. 2 + 2 = 4

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

ronaldo doesnt play too well out of position and away to barcelona in a tetchy hard played game where barca had 65% of the possession. hes obviously really crap and an a$$hole :rolleyes:

i wouldnt mind if that sort of punditry was on tv3 or itv but the fact that the public pay for the wages of these guys spouting reactionary bullsh1t to get ratings when they are meant to be fair and accurate in their analysis is what gets my goat. entertaining? yes. i regularly do dunphy impressions when messing about... but dale winton is an entertainer, u dont see him expressing his thoughts on why liverpool and ronaldo are crap

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Trilla wrote: »
    Its fairly obvious that United were set up for a counter attacking game,Tevez was playing very deep. Rooney on the wings because he tracks back, Scholes playing deep, Carrick playing deep, Park in the team because he'll run and track back...4 defenders and a goalkeeper...that still not defensive to you? then those group of players were set up to react to the counter attack and did a poor job of it.

adds up alright. 2 + 2 = 4

i still dont thin they were originally set up to sit back and counter attack,
    i think the players were set up to go and attack that why you had 3 strikers really and the midfield dominance of barca puched utd back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Trizo wrote: »
    tbh i dont listen to word that Dunphy says he's full of BS and is only looking to sell papers in the morning so he can fuel his drug/drink habit :)

:D +1. Dunphy is a mouth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Jazzy wrote: »
    ronaldo doesnt play too well out of position and away to barcelona in a tetchy hard played game where barca had 65% of the possession. hes obviously really crap and an a$$hole :rolleyes:

i wouldnt mind if that sort of punditry was on tv3 or itv but the fact that the public pay for the wages of these guys spouting reactionary bullsh1t to get ratings when they are meant to be fair and accurate in their analysis is what gets my goat. entertaining? yes. i regularly do dunphy impressions when messing about... but dale winton is an entertainer, u dont see him expressing his thoughts on why liverpool and ronaldo are crap

Dunphy is a former football. Just because you don't agree with him, does not mean he knows nothing.

He is over the top I agree, but he has more authority than any of us to give his opinions.

He was up for United anway.

I'm sure he knows a lot about football. But when he's on RTE, he's not giving his actual opinion. He is saying extremely calculated things in order to get a rise out of people and continue his job. I'm sure his opinions on the modern game would be very interesting, but I don't think I"ll ever get a chance to hear them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

I'm sure he knows a lot about football. But when he's on RTE, he's not giving his actual opinion. He is saying extremely calculated things in order to get a rise out of people and continue his job. I'm sure his opinions on the modern game would be very interesting, but I don't think I"ll ever get a chance to hear them.

+1 He's just trying to wind people up - and succeeding at doing so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭MrPillowTalk

LOL @ you for saying LOL @ anybody!

It's not every time that he ha a mediocre game that people get on his back! He is currently the best player in the world and there's no denying that, he destroys mediocre teams, but never has he destroyed a big team in a big game or made a big impact on that game and until he does, he'll constantly get abuse especially when he behaves like he does!

Eh he has scored against Arsenal, Liverpool, Roma and Lyon all in the last month or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭MrPillowTalk

Mr Alan wrote: »
    I know i probably shouldnt respond to this, but although you have a point about Drogba, if you cannot see how Gerrard is different to the two mentioned, i despair, i really do :( 1)his attitude, although at times is not what i may wish it was, he is nowhere near the other two when it comes to throwing his toys out of the pram, and he dives nowhere near as much as the other two.

Gerrard doesnt do the throwing the toys out of the pram and moaning I grant you, however thats a cultural thing more than anything else, Gerrard dives plenty.

Advertisement