Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asus eeePC

• 23-04-2008 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭

Anybody have any good places (net or bricks 'n' mortar) to purchase the above, preferably 4Gb with webcam?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Check this list here for online retailers. Shops-wise I think the laptop shop and toys'r'us were the only ones who've had it in stock at all, and they've none at the minute.

A lot of us have been having trouble sourcing them, they're mega-popular and there's never enough stock. See the asus eee thread in laptops.

I myself am going to hold out for the 900 version (bigger screen, more ram, storage etc.)

Good luck on your quest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

They have them in PC World. Not cheap though. The lower spec (2G) model is €299. The 4G is about €60 more (I can't remember exactly). Maybe that's cheap for bricks and mortar. They're available online for quite a bit cheaper (Pixmania for example).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Which PCWorld did you see them in? No sign of them when I had a wander round the one in Blanchardstown yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I've seen them in Galway anyway...

robinph wrote: »
    Which PCWorld did you see them in? No sign of them when I had a wander round the one in Blanchardstown yesterday.

They have them in Swords (did last Saturday anyway)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

if your buying from pixmania, get rid of the zen engagement and use this code

EEE15

get €15 off, so makes the 4gig version €318 including the 48hr DHL delivery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

They have them in PC World. Not cheap though. The lower spec (2G) model is €299. The 4G is about €60 more (I can't remember exactly). Maybe that's cheap for bricks and mortar. They're available online for quite a bit cheaper (Pixmania for example).

I was in blanch last weekend and they had one located behind a display cabinet over near the sat navs

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Not sure that it counts as a bargain alert but the PC Worlds in Liffey Valley and Blanchardstown both have the 2G white surf models for 299. The Dixons in Blanchardstown has all colours of the 4G non-surf models though for 379. They have a green one on display but have several pink, blue, green and black in stock.

Well one less black one in stock now than they did this morning, but I needed it now!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I myself am going to hold out for the 900 version (bigger screen, more ram, storage etc.)

Isn't that somewhat missing the entire point of the eeepc? Why are they bothering to make a BIGGER one? I'm planning on getting one because I like how tiny it is, you can sling it in your bag and bring it on holiday or to college/library if you're a student etc. I wouldn't want it any bigger, personally. As for storage..it's not meant as a main computer so even 2GB storage would be fine for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

I think a lot of people are buying it because it's solid state ,fast to boot.
    Personally I'd like a slightly bigger one.

Are the model's on Pixmania shipped with french OS ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

eth0_ wrote: »
    Isn't that somewhat missing the entire point of the eeepc? Why are they bothering to make a BIGGER one? I'm planning on getting one because I like how tiny it is, you can sling it in your bag and bring it on holiday or to college/library if you're a student etc. I wouldn't want it any bigger, personally. As for storage..it's not meant as a main computer so even 2GB storage would be fine for me.

the unit itself is the same size. Its just a bigger screen, so it takes up all of the lid, like on a normal laptop.

311 wrote: »
    I think a lot of people are buying it because it's solid state ,fast to boot.
    Personally I'd like a slightly bigger one.

Are the model's on Pixmania shipped with french OS ?

I was holding out too for the one with the bigger screen but if the prices on those sites are correct (approx €480), I'll just grab a proper laptop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

They look like a really handy machine ,I can't bring a laptop to work with me because I work in construction. Occasionally I am really stuck for PDF files ,when I'm out on the road.

But with something cheap like the EEEPC ,it makes it easier.

I wouldn't pay laptop prices though ,it wouldn't make sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Pixmania.ie
    Dabs.ie (cheapest)
    expansys (though really expensive same as everyhting else they sell)
    firebox.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Elara: Kin

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Pixmania.ie
    Dabs.ie (cheapest)
    expansys (though really expensive same as everyhting else they sell)
    firebox.com

Nope elara.ie is the cheapest. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭johnnyboy4711

was in nz over the christmas and am kickin myslef i didnt pick up one of these!
    i think they were just over 400 (200 yoyos) nz dollars a feckin steal!!!
    4gb version though!
    still not bad.
    jb hifi.com
    john

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Laptops direct have rocketed their prices to €475 for the 20gb eee pc so avoid them at the moment.

A friend just ordered the 20gb Black model from misco. This is the first time I've seen the black model in stock anywhere to date. Price is ok at €434 + €25 delivery charge (€459).

http://misco.ie/productinformation/~142935~WW~/Asus%20Eee%20PC%20900%20(Linux)%20-%20Black.htm

Just thought it might be of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

You can pick up a good laptop just as cheap these days if you're not buying it for the size - a lot of people I know seem to be buying them just because they're cheap and they want something fairly basic but don't realise you could get a full specced laptop for not much more if you shop around - check this spec in Dell outlet this weekend:

Inspiron 1525 Celeron 540 1.86Ghz

Vista Home Basic
    1024MB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (2x512)
    80GB (5400rpm) Hard Drive
    15.4 Widescreen WXGA (1280x800) with TrueLife
    Optical Drive 8xDVD+/-RW Drive including SW

Dell Wireless 1395 Mini-Card 802.11b/g EMEA
    2.0 Mega pixel web camera
    LCD Back Cover Jet Black Matte
    Battery Inspiron Primary 6-cell 56WHr Li-Ion

Price delivered €360

If it's a small one you want, I'd prefer the HP MIni Note - much better built and much better looking imo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Sneaky_Russian

• Advertisement

machalla wrote: »
    Laptops direct have rocketed their prices to €475 for the 20gb eee pc so avoid them at the moment.

A friend just ordered the 20gb Black model from misco. This is the first time I've seen the black model in stock anywhere to date. Price is ok at €434 + €25 delivery charge (€459).

http://misco.ie/productinformation/~142935~WW~/Asus%20Eee%20PC%20900%20(Linux)%20-%20Black.htm

Just thought it might be of interest.

Good find but they're out of stock now. I asked them if it came with the 4400mah battery or 5800mah one. Their model comes with the smaller battery. Something to check for if you're buying them. A lot of suppliers are selling them with the longer lasting battery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭cantalach

Good find but they're out of stock now. I asked them if it came with the 4400mah battery or 5800mah one. Their model comes with the smaller battery. Something to check for if you're buying them. A lot of suppliers are selling them with the longer lasting battery.

Yes, and many of the retailers I've phoned say they don't know what size battery is in the ones they're sellling, which I think can only be interpreted one way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

They are selling the 4Gb ones on Pixmania for 272€. When you click on them it says 300€ but add to your cart and it is €272!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Any idea where an Eee pc 900 might be in stock at the moment?

I had one on order from Dabs.ie but apparently it got stolen from the couriers van (GLS).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Dabs kept changing the delivery due dates on my eeepc so cancelled the order.It ended up with a 6/7 week difference compared to the initial date.

Pixmania has the 4gb for 272 and 13.90 delivery.

They have dropped their prices in the last 2 weeks.

Or get it from a Irish source at €289? You can pick up as well. :rolleyes:

http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=ELA1537123

I didn't find their customer service at all helpful last time I had to deal with them.

*Edit*
    I was wondering why you were pimping them,only noticed now you are an elara rep.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I didn't find their customer service at all helpful last time I had to deal with them.

*Edit*
    I was wondering why you were pimping them,only noticed now you are an elara rep.

What happened the last time you dealt with CS?

EEE PCs reduced to €279.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭maceocc2

Kin Mak wrote: »

EEE PCs reduced to €279.

Are these still available? There was 19 in stock last night but they've totally disappeared from the elara website..

http://www.elara.ie/noproduct.asp?productcode=ELA1537123

• Advertisement

maceocc2 wrote: »
    Are these still available? There was 19 in stock last night but they've totally disappeared from the elara website..

http://www.elara.ie/noproduct.asp?productcode=ELA1537123

Getting it loaded up again... give it 30 minutes.

Advertisement