Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best broadband option in a rural area

Options
  • 23-04-2008 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭

I've just read all the stickies and anything else I could find on the subject.

Basically, my situation is, I'm moving to a new house in August where the fixed line is not suitable for broadband.

What would be the general consensus for the best option for me to take.

Mobile broadband seems to be an unmitigated disaster, so are there any other options?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Really does depend on your area but you you might be able to find a fixed wireless provider, if not you will be left with little choice other than mobile broadband or possibly the dreaded satellite.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭danyosan

Really does depend on your area but you you might be able to find a fixed wireless provider, if not you will be left with little choice other than mobile broadband or possibly the dreaded satellite.

Forgot to include that in my original post, fixed wireless isnt an option either, I'll be about 1 mile outside the range.

Whats the craic with satellite? Tres expensive I presume.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Castanets a Clacking is what Eamonn Ryan has in mind !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭conjamuk

Mobile broadband is Ok depending on where you live I live in a slightly rural area and I get great speeds try o2 they seem to be the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

danyosan wrote: »
    Forgot to include that in my original post, fixed wireless isnt an option either, I'll be about 1 mile outside the range.

Whats the craic with satellite? Tres expensive I presume.
    Satellite would be your last resort, somewhere between 3G and carrier pigeon.
    I personally wouldn't give up so easily on the fixed wireless option, its possible that there is another provider around that you wouldn't know about, the problem with the smaller wireless operators is they often don't advertise whatsoever and unless you're told about them by word of mouth you would have no idea. If you say the general area you're moving to somebody here might be able to make a suggestion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You only get good speeds on Mobile Phone Mast if no one else is using it. It only takes 10 users to pull it down to ISDN speeds. With 20 users you may have dialup speeds.

Satellite is high latency (850ms) but no worse. The speed on the professional 2 way systems is comparable to basic DSL. At 10 users 3G/HSDPA mobile can have higher latency and much lower speed. But it costs more. The cheapest Satellite systems are worse than 3G.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Im using three mobile broadband. It really has its ups and downs, but for what i pay for it, it does the job. Plus the fact its totally mobile. You can even take it on holiday (Depending what countries you go to) and you can use it abroad for free as well.

Evenings a lot slower than the daytime hours on 3g broadband. When its good its good (This morning getting 1750kbps) evening time it can drop right down to under 100kbps.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭danyosan

Satellite would be your last resort, somewhere between 3G and carrier pigeon.
    I personally wouldn't give up so easily on the fixed wireless option, its possible that there is another provider around that you wouldn't know about, the problem with the smaller wireless operators is they often don't advertise whatsoever and unless you're told about them by word of mouth you would have no idea. If you say the general area you're moving to somebody here might be able to make a suggestion.

I'm going to be around 4 miles outside (north) of Arklow town.

I really dont think that contention is going to be an issue as there really aren't that many houses around the new house.

I'm really dreading this move as I'm so used to having a nice fixed broadband line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You can use this site to check for 3G masts in your area. Not sure how up to date it is but it'll give you an idea of sites anyway. There are 3G masts in the Arklow area, but further north, towards Ballydoyle, there aren't any. 3G coverage may well be limited to none.

Ryan's website also lists providers, though it's a bit crap too. It does say DSL is available north of Arklow. When you say the fixed line is not suitable, is it active and do you have the number? If the line is inactive then it would probably be classed as unsuitable, as only active lines are maintained in eircom's test database.

Advertisement