Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lotto - No winner again

• 23-04-2008 10:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭

So, after another bout of mini-hysteria and coverage in the media, there was no winner of Wednesday's jackpot of just over €14 million.

I run a syndicate in the office and in the past few weeks the number of members has doubled - bandwagon! :p

This run could possible beat the existing record of ~€18m I think? It will be interesting to see how long it continues.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

His name is Robert Paulson Brian Nolan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

I've said it before and I'll say it again there are too many numbers in the lotto, whats the point of the lotto if nobody can win it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

national lottery should be sued, wayyyy too many numbers for an Irish lotto. its just a small island.. not the states or uk.

plenty more money for the lotto chiefs tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

juvenal wrote: »

I run a syndicate in the office and in the past few weeks the number of members has doubled - bandwagon! :p

You should have a set number of members at the start to when the jackpot is won. ie yuou have to be in at the start from the €1m jackpot. If you end up winning in the next week r so, those bandwagoners could end up costing you quite a few quid each dependfing on the number of players
    legs11 wrote: »
    national lottery should be sued, .

Sued? What planet are you on? IT's not a mandatory game. If you dont like it ,dont play it.few quid each depending on the amount of people in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

The small size of the country's population doesn't make it any harder to win. When you buy a ticket it has as much chance of winning as any ticket with the same amount of lines. If it was Britain, USA, India or China, there would be the same likelihood of any individual getting the correct 6 numbers out of 45. More tickets may be bought in other countries, meaning there is a greater chance it would be won, but the chance of any given individual winning is the same. If it was won more often there, the jackpot would never be very high or a shared jackpot would be low for individual winners, so a winner would get about the same as a winner here would. A bigger population might mean the jackpot would be big to start, like €14,000,000 but it could be won nearly every week, so it would not rise.

Coming back to Ireland, if it was easier to win that would also mean lower jackpots, as was the case when we had less numbers. So whatever way you look at it, the population makes no difference. When it does happen to be won after a few weeks, which often happens, we don't get any of this kind of statements that is hard to win or there are too many numbers etc. It is fine as it is. If any of you happen to win it on Saturday I am sure you won't be complaining.

As to our friend and conspiracy theorist Brian Nolan, he could be right. He always argues that as it gets closer to bank holidays the jackpot is won less often and its value increases. Well, I suppose we can't deny that the May bank holiday, 2043, is indeed getting closer.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Flukey wrote: »

As to our friend and conspiracy theorist Brian Nolan, he could be right. He always argues that as it gets closer to bank holidays the jackpot is won less often and its value increases. Well, I suppose we can't deny that the May bank holiday, 2043, is indeed getting closer.:rolleyes:

OMG just realised what all the talk of giving us more bank holidays to bring us in line with Europe is all about. They need the lotto to be won more often. Brian Nolan is a genius. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

They're just building the pot a little before they hand it over to some bogger from a really bad area in an effort to change their lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

rb_ie wrote: »
    They're just building the pot a little before they hand it over to some bogger from a really bad area in an effort to change their lives.

Wouldn't it be classic if some fabulously rich person very publicly won it! I can almost hear the outrage:D

Sean_K wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be classic if some fabulously rich person very publicly won it! I can almost hear the outrage:D
    It'd make for a nice change tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Isnt there a bank hol coming up.

• Advertisement

Oh and in before some idiot decides he just has to post the very, very old and way over used saying of "Durrrrrr the lorro is just a tax on people who can't do maths durrrrrr".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

Stekelly wrote: »
    You should have a set number of members at the start to when the jackpot is won. ie yuou have to be in at the start from the €1m jackpot. If you end up winning in the next week r so, those bandwagoners could end up costing you quite a few quid each dependfing on the number of players

We have a set number as long as we have any small winnings carried over. E.g. if we win a scratch card and it has €5 on it, then it's reinvested into the pot, and everyone contributes an additional €2 per draw.

Theoretically, if we won €10 in Saturday's draw, and there were 20 members x €2, then we would have €50 to play tonight, €2 from each member plus their 50c from Saturday's draw. It could get messy if people came in mid-run, and they hasn't contributed the extra 50c that others had already, blah blah blah. . . and next thing people are losing the head. I only allow extra people to join when there is no carry-over, as some individuals could get their nose out of place over the equality.

Regarding the winnings, at present our share would work out over 500k each, as opposed to ~€1m, and I'm not about to worry about the difference a few extra members will make. €500k would suit me just fine; I'm not going to worry about the "lost" €500k because we had to share it with more people. You could also argue that more people = more investment = more lines.

I see your point though. I'm pretty strict about it, and I get a bit of slagging, but you'd be amazed how people's attitudes change when money is involved. In a previous job the girl who organised the syndicate (and straight as an arrow) was almost brought to the small claims court over €20 by a nutter colleague, which resulted in HR stepping in, firing someone, and introducing strict guidelines over gambling etc.

Abigayle wrote: »
    Isnt there a bank hol coming up.
    Not too sure but if there is, the lotto aren't trying very hard to cover up the fact that they're rigging the f*cking thing.

Not too sure but if there is, the lotto aren't trying very hard to cover up the fact that they're rigging the f*cking thing.

Was sure you'd pick it up.

Oncoming event / occasion + big press re same= ques at the lotto machines.

legs11 wrote: »
    national lottery should be sued, wayyyy too many numbers for an Irish lotto. its just a small island.. not the states or uk.

plenty more money for the lotto chiefs tho.

The National Lottery, while it is a business, is also a social and charitable organisation that has funded countless community projects in this country. Ask people where their community centre or sports club etc. came from, and you'd be amazed at how many things were granted some Lotto money to help the development of such places.

It's far better run than some of the lotteries in the US for example, where they have ridiculous jackpots over $100 million regularly (granted that's not as much in €uro these days! ), and you're penalised ~25% in tax if you win, and another ~25% if you elect to take the lump sum up front rather than in instalments over 20 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

arse

I've thought about this, and wondered, but how easy would it be to rig the lotto??

If I pick six numbers, and they're drawn on television, how can they deny the jackpot? I'm not saying it's impossible by any means, just sceptical about how quick some people are to say it's rigged etc.

I'm not saying it's impossible by any means, just sceptical about how quick some people are to say it's rigged etc.

I see what you mean, but it is the coincidences that fuel it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

its not like they use a computer to pick the set of number's that havnt been bought then put magnets in the ball's.....

its not like they use a computer to pick the set of number's that havnt been bought then put magnets in the ball's.....

Would 15 mins be realistically enough time to get the info from every machine in the country and set up thmachine etc?

• Advertisement

then put magnets in the ball's.....

Mmmm magnets...

Tbh. duno. Again your honour, I refer to the previously mentioned coincidences.

/shows evidence bag to court room.

Abigayle wrote: »
    I see what you mean, but it is the coincidences that fuel it.

There are only two possibilities: It's either won or it's not won. So naturally there are going to be coincidences.

bug wrote: »
    arse

Eh, leg, or do I have to say the same thing to win a prize, or how does this work?:)

Flukey wrote: »
    There are only two possibilities: It's either won or it's not won. So naturally there are going to be coincidences.

Dont say I never give you anything Flukey..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Damn that Brian Nolan guy. He actually has people contemplating that the lotto is rigged.

May bank holiday is the 5th of May so i guess the 3rd of May, if the theory is true, is when it will be won or the Wednesday before that. So playing this Saturday is pointless :p

Stekelly wrote: »
    Would 15 mins be realistically enough time to get the info from every machine in the country and set up thmachine etc?
    If they're sending the ticket numbers into a central machine as they're being printed, then it'd be definitely possible for a computer to whizz through it and find the number that aren't picked.

All they have to do is pay the KPMG enough to keep their mouths shut and play recorded videos of those numbers dropping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

I need to win this more than the rest of you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I wonder what Brian Nolan makes of this. He should be unbanned for a day.

dsmythy wrote: »
    May bank holiday is the 5th of May so i guess the 3rd of May, if the theory is true, is when it will be won or the Wednesday before that. So playing this Saturday is pointless :p

You see now, its not that simple. Wouldnt it be worth scouring the media before these events so s.hit stirrers dont have a point to prove?

If this preventive method is set in place, it would restore the pepulz faith in the National Lotto again. Thus resetting the cycle ;)

If they're sending the ticket numbers into a central machine as they're being printed, then it'd be definitely possible for a computer to whizz through it and find the number that aren't picked.

+1 Tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Terry wrote: »
    His name is Robert Paulson Brian Nolan.
    Oh how we need him now. His views and opinions are sorely missed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I run the lotto syndicate here and there used to 17 members until HR shut it down.
    It’s an “operational risk” in case we win and most of the department walks out.

Only 9 members now and it’s far easier to organize and it’s run in the background, HR don’t know about it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

micmclo wrote: »
    I run the lotto syndicate here and there used to 17 members until HR shut it down.
    It’s an “operational risk” in case we win and most of the department walks out.

Only 9 members now and it’s far easier to organize and it’s run in the background, HR don’t know about it.
    Tut tut - damn secret organisations!

One winner of tonight's jackpot of €15,658,143.

The winning ticket was sold in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

One winner of tonight's jackpot of €15,658,143.

The winning ticket was sold in Dublin.
    Wasn't me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

Awww defo wasn't me either..

/sigh..:(

• Advertisement

And the balance is restored.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Lotto not won again last night looks like we are heading for another big Bank holiday lotto if it is not won next Wednesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

theres too many numbers in the lotto, I've said it before and I'll say it again - theres too many numbers in the lotto, once more for the people down the back - theres too many numbers in the lotto

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭Sir Molle

Anyone who thinks that the lotto is rigged is a fat retard. It's seriously dumb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

hey ive just had a crazy notion... maybe there are too many numbers in the lotto?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭lolipops

omg i won the lotto!

im off to buy me some llama jerky..

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Raynard wrote: »
    I wish offer my congratulations to the National Lottery for having no overall jack pot winners during the month of May.

I am fully aware that they allowed about 24 Porsche Cayman Sport cars to be won during the month of May no more than a total cost of around €2m or less to put out a smoke screen for the general public as if it was totally out of the control of the National Lottery.

Will tomorrow nights lotto be another controlled rollover or will there be a winner?

Or should we wait to see if the 3rd largest Lottery rollover out of four which is set to be played out this year accomplished a prize fund of €17m or over, or will we have to wait until later in the year to play out that drama!

You may think that such fraud is going un-noticed.
    Lol. Posts like this are why we should have thanks in after hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If you re-arrange the letters R a y n a r d you get Brain Nolan.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Daisy Steiner

Give's a 50 bag of whatever you're smoking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Give's a 50 bag of whatever you're smoking

He had me till the Moon Landing Cover-Up thing. :D

That said, I too have noticed that bank holiday pattern over the years and often joke about it with customers, however I am sure its a simple case of confirmation bias where you only notice all the times it does happen but not the times it doesn't. Or it could be a simple case of bank holiday spacing throughout the year and what appears to be long odds against large rollovers building up and being won around the next bank holiday nearly every time is actually statistically very likely. ie, with the given probabability of several large rollovers per year due to the amount of numbers in the Irish game, the laws of probability also might mean the odds are not long at all counter intuitively for it to be won sometime in a 2 or 3 week window around the next bank holiday.

Advertisement