Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Semi Auto Rifles

Options
  • 23-04-2008 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭

I was looking at a Hawke .22 rifle today with a scope, a lovely lookin gun all in all with the scope costing 500euro. are these guns any good??

What would i expect to pay for a semi auto rifle 22lr??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

I've never heard of Hawke Rifles, Hawke scopes and mounts OK, but not rifles. Anybody?

Ruger 10/22's go from about €350 and the Remington 597 is about €300. You'll find a good selection here

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Dannyboi3k

honest it was a shop in bagnelstown. is that wit a scope ?? 10/22 10=rounds ??

Dannyboi3k wrote: »

Don't get hung up on the number of rounds. Mags can be bought separately from the gun, so it's not a problem. As far as I know the Ruger comes standard with a ten round mag alright. There a funny yoke with a sort of circular feed and most people glue a small handle to them.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Two small points:
    • Less of the text speak please. You have a full keyboard, please use it.
    • In future, if you have a few related questions it would be best to start one thread. It cuts down on the clutter in the forum.

Cheers man u've been great help

• Advertisement

IRLConor wrote: »
    Two small points:
    • Less of the text speak please. You have a full keyboard, please use it.
    • In future, if you have a few related questions it would be best to start one thread. It cuts down on the clutter in the forum.

where am i using text speak

where am i using text speak

Some examples:
    Dannyboi3k wrote:
    Wat do u mean, u can have a .22 with a 10 round mag and it will be ok??
    Dannyboi3k wrote:
    is that wit a scope

Some amount of abbreviation is fine, particularly with commonly abbreviated words to do with shooting like "mag", but in general regular English is required here.

Just one thing I should point out is that semi-auto's are not the most accurate of rifles about. I've said this here before and been flamed for it, but I've recently tried a Ruger 10/22 benched at 25 yards and between myself and it's owner, could not get the damn thing to group at all.

For those who are familiar with the NSRA 25 yard target, we were getting 4's, 5's, 6's and 7's and the very odd 10. The mask was in sh1te at the end after aout 150 shots.

It was all over the shop. :mad:

A good bolt-action would eat it for breafast.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

rrpc wrote: »
    Just one thing I should point out is that semi-auto's are not the most accurate of rifles about. I've said this here before and been flamed for it, but I've recently tried a Ruger 10/22 benched at 25 yards and between myself and it's owner, could not get the damn thing to group at all.

For those who are familiar with the NSRA 25 yard target, we were getting 4's, 5's, 6's and 7's and the very odd 10.

This is very good info rrpc

Any idea roughly what size in inches or moa these groups would be, excuse my ignorance of the NSRA 25 yard target :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

For those who are familiar with the NSRA 25 yard target, we were getting 4's, 5's, 6's and 7's and the very odd 10. The mask was in sh1te at the end after aout 150 shots.

I have a remington 597 in in 22 WMR

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/rimfire_rifles/model_597/model_597_magnum_LS_HB_specs.asp

it is accurate but not as good as my old bolt action CZ 22lr, I messed the accuracy up when I stripped it down and then put it back together, fixed it by slackinging of the screws holding the action and barrell to the stock and fore end

I have it two years and might change to a ruger in 22 wmr, I like autos it's handy to have the subsequent shot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Got to agree with rrpc - I've tried stock 10/22s at 50m off a rest and you can't get the damn things to group at all (unless you consider a ten-to-fifteen-centimetre circle to be a group). The trigger is awful, the stock leaves a lot to be desired and the sights are primitive to say the least. I know lots of people say you can trick them out by changing out every component bar the receiver, but by the time you've done that, you don't have a 10/22 anymore anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Your friend must have a right turkey there rrpc.That is totally unacceptable for a Ruger.Dont judge ALL semi rifles on just one experiance.Yes indeed BA's will out shoot a semi any day.Excepting a few of the bigger cal 20k plus rifles.But it is not comparing like and like.Would be sending this back to the maker,as it sounds like a duff rifle that escaped quality control.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Vegeta wrote: »
    Any idea roughly what size in inches or moa these groups would be, excuse my ignorance of the NSRA 25 yard target :(

NSRA 25yd target:
    Scoring Ring | Diameter in mm
    Centre Dot | 1.00
    10 | 12.92
    9 | 20.23
    8 | 27.55
    7 | 34.86
    6 | 42.18
    5 | 49.49
    4 | 56.81
    3 | 64.12
    2 | 71.44
    1 | 78.75
    Aiming Mark (the "black") | 51.39

The round has to fall entirely within the ring to make the score. If it breaks the line you get the lower score.

As for grouping, well at 25yds with a .22 if the shot holes aren't all overlapping then it's not a group IMHO. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Vegeta wrote: »

The whole aiming mark for the 25 yd NSRA target is just over 51mm (about two inches) and a shot within this would be counted as a 5, so rrpc's experience with this particular rifle, getting 4s etc. would indicate a group size of over two inches at 25 yds :eek:

What IRLConor said ....

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Your friend must have a right turkey there rrpc.That is totally unacceptable for a Ruger.Dont judge ALL semi rifles on just one experiance.Yes indeed BA's will out shoot a semi any day.Excepting a few of the bigger cal 20k plus rifles.But it is not comparing like and like.Would be sending this back to the maker,as it sounds like a duff rifle that escaped quality control.

It does sound particularly bad alright.

If it's that inaccurate I can't see how it would be any use for bunny shooting which I would have assumed would be its forte.

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Your friend must have a right turkey there rrpc.
    I doubt it, not if I can get the same bad level of performance out of a similar stock 10/22 from a different dealer in a different part of the country a year earlier. The stock 10/22 is just not that good in terms of accuracy. It needs a lot of work to bring it up to where most bolt-action rifles start from. I don't think it was designed for that sort of thing, it strikes me as being a very basic entry-level plinking/vermin rifle, not a target shooting rifle.

If it's that inaccurate I can't see how it would be any use for bunny shooting which I would have assumed would be its forte.
    Bunny's are more than 4 inches across, so at 50 yards it'd be okay for that sort of thing. For tin cans and the like, it'd be grand as well. For anything else, I'd buy a CZ at that price range.

But then again, I might be spoilt by my anschutz ;)

It does sound particularly bad alright.

It was a seriously expensive version with a carbon fibre barrel and using a scope. The stock was also an aftermarket job.

My feeling was it was too light, but even so, you could not get it to a repeat a score even if you sat on it :D

I have a CZ .22 sporter and it will group as well as a my FWB at 25 yards with no hassle.
    Group opens up a bit at 50m but its still a cracking little rifle! Esp given it was less then 1/4 the price of a new FWB

Sparks wrote: »
    Bunnies are more than 4 inches across

Forgive my ignorance but I assumed that there was a smaller humane kill zone on a rabbit. I have no idea about rabbit shooting.

• Advertisement

I don't know IRLC - put high velocity hollowpoints into a 4" circle on a rabbit at 50 yards and I'd say the rabbit wouldn't know what hit it, given the damage I've seen them do to tin cans and the like. But I'll happily be corrected by someone who's used them on the real thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Sparks wrote: »
    I don't know IRLC - put high velocity hollowpoints into a 4" circle on a rabbit at 50 yards and I'd say the rabbit wouldn't know what hit it, given the damage I've seen them do to tin cans and the like. But I'll happily be corrected by someone who's used them on the real thing.

If you use a centerfire on a rabbit, then hitting it anywhere will kill it near instant

If using a rimfire (bar the .17hmr maybe, have seen vidoes but never used one on rabbits myself) you would really want to be aiming for head or the heart lungs shot.

With gut shots etc, they'll die alright but not nearly as humane as the head and heart lungs.

I was thinking of .22lr hollowpoints Veg, or CCI stingers or something along those lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Vinniew

I have a CZ .22 sporter and it will group as well as a my FWB at 25 yards with no hassle.
    Group opens up a bit at 50m but its still a cracking little rifle! Esp given it was less then 1/4 the price of a new FWB

WHOA!!!!
    whatdid u do to that little rifle???? It used to group really well out to 100yds....try some Ely EPS Match.....always worked really well in it.

yeah, ammo was pretty cheap! haven't gone beyond 50m - its perfect for both bunny busting!

Its an amazing little rifle though!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

CCI Stingers have the power for one shot one kill all right.But accuracy is somwhat hit and miss with them.
    Sparks you are100% right ..Ruger semis are not target rifles at all.Both the 10/22 or Mini 14 .But they were never intended to be that in the first place. They are plinkers or hunting rifles,or poor mans LEO carbines.Sure they can be made that way with more money and more bits,but why not just buy a target rifle then in the first place?
    Just seemed that the one RRPC mentioned was a paticularly bad one,even with customisation.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭José Alaninho

This thread made me curious, re: Ruger 10/22 accuracy, so I took my favourite little .22 semi out yesterday in the fine weather and shot some 50 yard groups. Rifle is scoped but otherwise un-customized in any way, with the exception of the bipod. Ammo was Federal (American Eagle) 38 grain HV hollowpoints.

First, kneeling at 50 yards.

DSC00581.JPG

Second, bipod at 50 yards. (Note: the tight group in the middle is five shots, the other three are offhanders I fired to empty the mag :o)

DSC00580.JPG

While this is not spectacular accuracy by any means, the 10/22 is nowhere near as bad as you guys are making it out to be, especially given it only has an 18 inch light barrel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

looks pretty similiar to what my remi will do at 50 yrds (22wmr 40g).

Advertisement