Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halo3,Zelda, Mario Wii, worst games ever!!

Options
  • 23-04-2008 10:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

Odd how some aussie/brit dude can say that but tinge it with humour and somehow come out of it as a reputable/funny reviewer. The Eamon Dunphy of games reviewers.

the irony of being bitten by a title.

kdjac

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Might be clearer if you mention who/what this is in reference to...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Its obviously in reference to the brilliant Yahtzee Crowshaw of "The Escapist" fame though the point of this thread is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

KdjaCL wrote: »
    Odd how some aussie/brit dude can say that but tinge it with humour and somehow come out of it as a reputable/funny reviewer. The Eamon Dunphy of games reviewers.

the irony of being bitten by a title.

kdjac
    He's controversial for the sake of it but I do admire his way with words.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

What does a game reviewer do? They play a game and give their opinion on it. That's all. And that's what Yahtzee does. But he makes it entertaining. And he's not even seen as a reputable reviewer. He makes fun of a games flaws, himself and anything that comes to mind and people enjoy it for that.

Why someone would get all tetchy about it is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

KdjaCL wrote: »

kdjac

But he doesnt say that.

He craps on Halo 3 because of its single player and its controvulted storyline which unless you've played the previous games seems very bland and uninspiring.

And the strengths of halo 3 dont appeal to him because he admits up right he has no interest in multiplayer.

He argues that the mario/zelda franchises are over used by nintendo, something to an extent I'd agree with if I was looking at them from a narrative perspective. The franchises just dont get slated because Nintendo delivers in gameplay.

Something which he also doesnt deny.

He says that most of these games are fun, he just pulls them up on points that are important to him. He's big into his single player narrative driven games.

Something both Halo and Mario lack.

He has never called any of those games the worse games ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Cullilingus

Edit: reread everything.. nm what I said :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

He never claimed any of them were awful, just that they're all very overrated and have flaws, and he gives very good reasons too.

I agree with him totally and I believed they were before I heard his reviews.

I've yet to watch one of his reviews and really disagree with it. He liked Assassin's Creed more than most (so did I), he loved Portal (so did I), and he didn't like Bioshock, Halo, or the various done to death Nintendo franchises as much as most people, and nor do I.

I can't think of another reviewer I tend to agree with so much. The only review I was unsure of was Mass Effect, where he criticised aspects of the game I thought were actually quite strong, but I did agree with his overall opinion of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

steviec wrote: »
    I can't think of another reviewer I tend to agree with so much. The only review I was unsure of was Mass Effect, where he criticised aspects of the game I thought were actually quite strong, but I did agree with his overall opinion of the game.

he got the vehicle control down to a T though.

I agree with every game he has reviewed (that I have also played) 100% and I dont understand how someone cant enjoy a game even if it has flaws. Somehow I have feeling his reviews for the likes of halo/mario/smash brothers, games that seem to get 10/10 before they are even released, annoy a few fanboys and gets an anti-yahtzee movement going...
    Also I loved mass effect and bioshock thought they were both brillant but his negative points on both were spot on.
    looking forward to what he will say about GTA4...

vehicle control in mass effect actually put me off the game..my every attempt to play that game crash and burns when I have to drive that f*cking tank.

On a side note, compared to other video reviewers Yahtzee is actually pretty brave. I mean the other video reviewers like Screwattack with its AVGN etc and the spoony experiment dont touch big releases of today, they go for cheap shots at crappy old fmv or nes games. doesnt mean they're not funny though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

the spoony experiment review of final fantasy 8 is brillant :D

• Advertisement

the latest ones are great. esp the microcosm one.

Advertisement