Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car dealers and their prices!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Options
  • 23-04-2008 10:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi guys, looking for some info here and I hope someone can help me out. I have an 07 Opel Corsa with 43,000 km on the clock. I am thinking of trading it in and on a trade price I was told by a dealer today that all he could give me was 11,000 Euro top price. I bought the car from the same dealer only last year. It is the SXI sports model and I bought the car for 18,900 Euro. As you can see I am loosing a lot of money on the car. Does a car even with that sort of mileage loose its value so much in one year.
    Am I being ripped off here major time?
    If anyone knows anything about pricing of used cars I sure would value your advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Go to two more dealers, one Opel and one competing make. That'll tell you what your car is worth as a trade in.
    Don't look at Carzone, don't ask friends/family/"a mate who has the little trade values book" for opinions. Your car is worth only as much as somone - dealer or private buyer - will pay for it. If it's worth more than that to you, then keep it a little while longer.

It's a top spec Corsa, nearly new, with high-ish mileage, in a down market. It will have taken a hit.

Why are you considering changing so soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

yeh once you drive your car off the forecourt from brand new you'll have lost a huge amount in its value already, with the market so slow trade in prices are going to be terrible too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

OP you'd do well to follow what AudiChris told you! Of course the fact that new ones will be dropping in price shortly and will have lower road tax than your car doesn't really help matters either.

43k km is a lot in just a year, which is the main reason why you are getting such a low trade in I'd say.

How did you manage to pay €18,900 for it? The dearest SXi is the diesel, and that's €19,700 today, and I'd be 99% certain you didn't go for that because you'd get a lot more than €11k if it was a diesel, the dearest petrol is €18,300, even with delivery and metallic paint fair enough you'd be up to about €19,500 but that's why you can haggle!

Did you get extras thrown in(bar metallic paint)? Cause unless we're talking about metallic paint, then you threw money down the toilet in the sense that extras especially at this level make the car no more desirable(bar the all important metallic paint of course)!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

As others have suggested, shop around.

Also 43k km in one year is diesel mileage and will not help you on such a small petrol engined car. That will put alot of people off buying the car from the dealer.

Another thing, the important figure to take into account is the "cost to trade up" price, not really how much you are being offered for your own car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

I would have said he was doing you a favour with 43k on the clock.

Otherwise, do as Audichris says.

• Advertisement
Advertisement