Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man Utd vs. Chelsea

• 24-04-2008 12:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭

Big match over, bigger match begins.

If we lost to Barca I'd be sad, if we lose the league title I'd be devastated. We have a chance to win the title at Stamford bridge, and I think we can do it.

Anyone else think that Chelsea are gona rest players?

That said, their reserves are still amazing so :)
    Either way, I think Chelsea will think they can go through against Liverpool and not have their hearts in it. They know the title is a bit of a strech (although still doable) and they will have their minds on the Liverpool game.

I think United are going to attack them, like really go at them. I think Scholes will be rested / dropped, with a line up of

Carrick
    Hargreaves
    --Ronaldo----Anderson
    Nani----
    Rooney

Who is going to win? 76 votes

United
    0%
    Chelsea
    7%
    Fighting IrishEKRIUQJonny ArsondeisedevilMr AlanEkancone 6 votes
    Draw
    35%
    TwoShedsJacksonBarddamnyanksThanx 4 The FishDont be at yourselfCivilServantmachiavellianmejankVillainAPMjesus_thats_greGillieNotWormBoyJuan PabloSullyapplehuntervestanpancechopperbyrnefred funk }{BOHSBOHS 27 votes
    United (United fans)
    34%
    dardozroar_ieBounty HunterMossy MonksmoggucciKingp35Unearthlyevad_lhorgA Dub in Glasgo~Rebel~Mad_MaxeventXavi6leninbenjaminROCKMANGizzleBrandonBlockgenericgoonOne Cold Hand 26 votes
    Chelsea (Chelsea fans)
    22%
    PHBMossinzAbboweemcdFozzyMr.Nice Guy[Deleted User]patmacLoomisPrufrockheathersonlineironictoasterMikeyt086[Deleted User]kryogenMIN2511thusspakeblixa 17 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

United (United fans)
    This is going to be a dull 0-0

FA Cup final dullness I reckon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

About time this thread was started.

League > Champions League imo.

Let's go for the win at Chelsea, even though we've been pretty bad the last few games (Boro, Arse, B'burn and Barca tonight) Chelsea have been playing bad for probably a couple of months now maybe more. Play 442 please and get at them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Chelsea 2-1.

Essien to break Ronaldo's arm in the 90th minute and Man Utd to fail miserably without him (prays)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Chelsea
    reckon Utd will beat Chelsea, finishing the league. And then we will beat em on wednes ruinning watever aura SB has at the moment.

Wonder wat odds i'd get on that happening?mmmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭BrandonBlock

United (United fans)
    Don't you mean Chelsea vs Man Utd!

I dunno about this one, on paper it looks like a draw - Chelsea haven't lost a single premiership game at home this season. My prediction is a draw, maybe 1-1. United still win the league though, just won't take it at SB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Chelsea (Chelsea fans)
    You should never pray for a broken leg, it's just mean.
    Pray for something like a broken arm. It puts them out for a long time, but isn't a threat to the guys career.
    Whenever I want someone to get injuried cause they are too good, I always pray for a broken arm :)

Mr Alan, you'd get 1/2.85 off betfair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭genericgoon

United (United fans)
    0-0. I expect a tired enough display from both teams. If Chelsea are as lethargic as on Tuesday, I expect a very dull game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Draw
    I voted for Chelsea, not because I think they'll win, but because it'll make it all the more interesting! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

United (United fans)
    0-0. I expect a tired enough display from both teams. If Chelsea are as lethargic as on Tuesday, I expect a very dull game.

+1, i've nothing to add!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

United (United fans)
    PHB wrote: »

Carrick
    Hargreaves
    --Ronaldo----Anderson
    Nani----
    Rooney

Terrible team tbh. Without a back 4 or a goal keeper, Chelsea are sure to score a few goals. I think SAF should play at least 11 players.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Chelsea are going to win this imo.

Might not be enough to win the title but Chelsea to scrape it 1-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

United (United fans)

+1 here too.
    And if man united are as dull as last night also its really going to be a snore fest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Draw
    Chelsea to win, because they have to!

They players know that this is a huge game and they will turn up and play no matter how bad the manager is!
    Should make for an interesting final 2 games if it comes to pass.

Also with united chasing shadows all last night didnt help their fitness levels but who can they rest?

One more thing, i think Vidic has been rushed back. Didnt look good at all vs Blackburn and was out last night because of some "stomach" bug! Will be interesting to see him play or not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Mr Alan wrote: »
    reckon Utd will beat Chelsea, finishing the league. And then we will beat em on wednes ruinning watever aura SB has at the moment.

Wonder wat odds i'd get on that happening?mmmmm

Utd will not beat Chelsea at SB.

Liverpool wont either unless the Man U v Chelsea is a bit on the violent side. If big names pick up a few knocks, it is a very slim possibility.

The omens are not good however. Liverpool have not even scored, let alone won there, in 4 odd years.

Caling the prem math as Chelsea win or goaless draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Chelsea (Chelsea fans)
    I'm hoping this will be an epic game like United's 4-2 win over Arsenal at Highbury a few seasons ago. I have a feeling United will do it.

I really hope SAF goes for it this time and takes the game to Chelsea. Unlike Arsenal, I think if United take the lead at Stamford Bridge they will have enough quality to see the game through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

United (United fans)
    Ferguson to settle for the draw is my bet. Take the draw and concentrate on Barca on Tuesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

I can see a draw in this one with Manchester still winning league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Chelsea
    Man Utd have not played well in a month now. You would have to go all the way back to the Villa to find a very good Utd performance (V Arsenal wasn't exactly a fantastic performance, only for Hargreaves great free kick)

I'm very worried now that we've lost our edge and i'm wondering what's going to change all of a sudden to get us back to a level where we can beat Chelsea on Sat and Barca next Tue. Don't want to be all doom and gloom but I think that the Chelsea game is huge now, players have to really get going for this one, if we lose we go into Tue with confidence low knowing we need to win and need to beat West ham and Wigan after that or season is a disaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Well Chelsea will most likely be without Lampard as his mother has just passed away. God rest and best wishes Frank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Chelsea
    iregk wrote: »
    Well Chelsea will most likely be without Lampard as his mother has just passed away. God rest and best wishes Frank.

Ah that's tough on him. rip.

Not that football matters at a time like that but that will be a huge loss to Chelski.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Is the game Sat or Sun?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

DesF wrote: »
    Is the game Sat or Sun?

12:45 Sat.

Vidic a MAJOR doubt with mystery stomach problem.

Chelsea (Chelsea fans)
    Terrible sad for Lampard, harsh stuff.

United have been up and down for the past month. I thought we did well against Arsenal, showed real spirit.

Vidic looks set to be out, Pique to play in his stead I'd say.

Chelsea (Chelsea fans)
    I fear United may be tired after running around chasing the ball last night but Fergie > Avram so Im going with a United win.

Chelsea (Chelsea fans)
    deisedevil wrote: »
    Man Utd have not played well in a month now. You would have to go all the way back to the Villa to find a very good Utd performance (V Arsenal wasn't exactly a fantastic performance, only for Hargreaves great free kick)

I'm very worried now that we've lost our edge and i'm wondering what's going to change all of a sudden to get us back to a level where we can beat Chelsea on Sat and Barca next Tue. Don't want to be all doom and gloom but I think that the Chelsea game is huge now, players have to really get going for this one, if we lose we go into Tue with confidence low knowing we need to win and need to beat West ham and Wigan after that or season is a disaster.

+ 1 I have to agree. We've been very flat and some of the performances have been very nervous. Hope this game brings out the best rather than more nerves. By Dunphys logic we should sent Ronaldo to Chelsea on loan for one game only seeing as he's so rubbish :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

My secret theory is that Ferguson purposely rested Anderson during the week as he wants his energy in midfield against the Chelsea machine.:D

I`m not as worried as I would have been had Tevez not scored that late equaliser against Blackburn.

Win the last two games for the league title is the worst case scenario at the moment which is a good place to be.

Anderson to score his first United goal and nick it for the reds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

United (United fans)
    Like alot of posters have stated Utd have not played well in the last three or so weeks, One of the causes is the lack of Anderson starting IMO. It was a midfield of Hargreaves or Carrick along side Anderson which have got Utd to this position ,now although Scholes had a good game Mid-Week. I believe for all his greatest at the moment he slows down the Team which affects the tempo and speed of Utds play. And its this tempo and speed which has been the foundation of your success so far this season So I hope SAF returns to starting Anderson for Sat and Tues games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

United (United fans)
    i think its all going to depend on what team turns up, utd will still have one eye on the barca match wereas chelski are more at ease with their predicament (damn you riise you clown) i voted for a draw, but i think if nani/ronaldo/anderson are playing and at blistening pace they can carve chelski apart, but in the same light vida is a doubt or even if he does play he wont be 100% so if joe cole/anelka etc are firing on all cilendars (sp?) they could do serious damage) should be interesting, if both teams play tight it will be boooooooooooring....but i cant seethat happening because chelski know they have to win!

Chelsea (Chelsea fans)
    i think its all going to depend on what team turns up, utd will still have one eye on the barca match wereas chelski are more at ease with their predicament (damn you riise you clown)

Only a fool would think Chelsea are even 60% favorites, and Chelsea are no fools. Both teams will have Barca and Pool on their minds, Chelsea probably ever more so because Liverpool have beaten them again and again in the past, and they are in a decent position to change that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

Chelsea (Chelsea fans)
    United for the win if Chelsea decide to look past em to the Champions league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

as others have said it depends on which teams turn up on the day, utd. haven't looked all that threatening of late but probably could do without losing this and the added pressure on their remaining games, chelsea have to win it but but have looked pretty toothless up front for a while now, a decent Drogba / Cole performance is essential, if Drogba does his "falling over at ever opportunity looking for a free" routine then I can see Utd nicking a goal.

It does have the potential to be a borefest allight, with utd in particular keeping one eye on Tuesdays barca game and knowing that a draw will do them nicely and not wanting to risk their stars against some of chelsea's less subtle tacklers (Obi).

1-0 Chelsea, goal by Ballack from unwarranted free kick.

Come on you blue boys!

United (United fans)
    Only a fool would think Chelsea are even 60% favorites, and Chelsea are no fools. Both teams will have Barca and Pool on their minds, Chelsea probably ever more so because Liverpool have beaten them again and again in the past, and they are in a decent position to change that.

i see wer your comin from there but still chelski will be in a more confident position than utd with regard to their CL matches, liverpoool have NEVER scored in the bridge under rafa and if its a 0-0 stalemate chelski are thru, not so in the utd barca match, so i think utd will have that in the back of their minds more than chelski will!

Chelsea (Chelsea fans)
    United have won every single European home game since November 2005 :)

Both teams will be confident they can win, Chelsea are in a better position, but are far from done.

IMO how the game will play out is like this.

Chelsea have to attack and win. United can win or draw.
    Chelsea will go for blood in this game. United will play a solid defence and a strong counter-attack. I expect Anderson Nani Rooney and Ronaldo all to play. With that attack we should score.

Then the key will be how well we can defend. I think Vidic out would be a huge blow (as he'd handle Drogba relatively well compared to Pique I'd say) so either Pique or Brown will play in the center who just aren't great in the air.

United are going to try hit you on the break. Chelsea are going to have to try break us down.
    Personally I think we'll win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,703 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

United can win or draw.

Or Lose.

Game has draw written all over it to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

United (United fans)
    Sheesh,again tough time to play this match,same like Arsenal-Liverpool,between 2 very important matches in Champions league,i just hope it wont this time look again like Arsenal-Liverpool which was like some training match with reserve squads.....
    Tough to predict but everything is possible,personally i wish draw which is more real at the moment and secretly i wish Manchester win and resplve any questions about champion of the league and give some plus moralto the team before 2nd leg with Barca,but as i said draw would be ok,just to keep up 3 points advantage

• Advertisement

United (United fans)
    Personally I think we'll win.

i wish i could hsave your optimism but im just slightly worried about this! i really hope you are right because i am going over for the west ham match and id like to see them get the trophy then!! :D
    Boggles wrote: »
    Game has draw written all over it to be honest.

i feel the same way, could turn out to be a stalemate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Draw
    Is Lampard going to be playing or not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Nope - according to BBC

United (United fans)

ok

United (United fans)
    im glad you edited that.....classy man, very classy (!)

• Advertisement

Chelsea (Chelsea fans)
    While I'm in my drunken state, I'm going to predict a 3-0/3-1 victory to United, who will destory Chelsea on the counter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

^^^your a funny man!^^^

Chelsea will win this 1-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

United should win. probably 2-1

United (United fans)
    Anyone here going today on Stamford Bridge?

This is the team I expect to start;

VDS

Brown
    Ferdinand
    Vidic----Evra

Ronaldo--Hargreaves---Scholes---Anderson---Nani

Rooney

United (United fans)
    Anyone here going today on Stamford Bridge?

LEAVE MY ROOM !!!!!!
    AND MY PC :eek::eek:
    GO OUTSIDE :eek::eek::eek:

United (United fans)
    ROCKMAN wrote: »
    LEAVE MY ROOM eek:
    AND MY PC :eek::eek:
    GO OUTSIDE eek::eek::eek::eek:

Whats wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

This better be a good game. Champions league games weren't great midweek. :(

United (United fans)
    Well i think coz they playeing CL again this game might look like Arsenal-Liverpool,but its too important to make just a training of it so its gonna be with full power:)

I have high hopes for this game as a spectacle mainly because Chelsea have to win and also because there is so much on the game.

0-0 snorefest it is then.:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement