Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man Utd vs. Chelsea

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Well done Chelsea hopefully they can go on and win the title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Draw
    It was nice to see Ten Cate telling Rio to keep his head up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Great game, enjoyed that. Hopefully Liverpool can win the Champions League and Chelsea can win the league. Fingers crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Chelsea (Chelsea fans)
    good win for chelsea, i lay the blame firmly at fergies door, he sent them out with the wrong mentality and that could cost us dear at the end of the season

On a positive note lads, listen, if someone had said at the start of the season, you will be champions if you beat West Ham and Wigan would you take it?

United for life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭BrandonBlock

United (United fans)
    Cracking match all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Draw
    Tusky wrote: »
    Great game, enjoyed that. Hopefully Liverpool can win the Champions League and Chelsea can win the league. Fingers crossed.

Well said. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

United (United fans)
    As a neutral, what a great game.
    Premier League will be interesting now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Chelsea (Chelsea fans)
    So pissed off with United today. Fair enough you rotate, but ****ing bringing on O'Shea for Anderson instead of Tevez was an absolute joke.

Terrible game after all that, Chelsea deserved their win without a doubt. If Vidic and Rooney are injuried, i"ll be bloody devasted.

Two very tough games now to decide the title. That's why the point at Arsenal was so bloody important.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭smog

United (United fans)
    Ah sure Newcastle will beat them next week ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Will Utd loose the head now? Barca could either get spanked or play through a demoralised Utd.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

kryogen wrote: »
    good win for chelsea, i lay the blame firmly at fergies door, he sent them out with the wrong mentality and that could cost us dear at the end of the season

On a positive note lads, listen, if someone had said at the start of the season, you will be champions if you beat West Ham and Wigan would you take it?

United for life

Agreed on all three counts. I hate criticising Fergie but his tactics were ultra-negative, and his team selection more than a little questionable.

I can't remember Chelsea's last two fixtures, I know the last one is Newcastle away which is not easy and thankfully United have two teams which both may have nothing to play for.

Chelsea deserved the win today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Fair play to Ronaldo though. After all the criticism of last wednesday he had a brilliant game today. His free kicks and his shot at the end were top drawer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

I thought Mikel and more so Essien were superb today, Drogbas passing game was excellent too, but he didn't have a great game beside that.
    Carvalho was very unfortunate with his part in united's goal
    Overall an excellent game, they deserved to win but came very close to not managing it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Fair play to Ronaldo though. After all the criticism of last wednesday he had a brilliant game today. His free kicks and his shot at the end were top drawer.
    Your are having a laugh?? He hardly broke sweat

United tactics were all wrong and they paid the price. As PHB pointed out not bringing on Tevez was a joke. United are beginning to falter...

Draw
    Do you think Fergie changed his team when he saw that Rijkaard left Xavi, Messi, Etoo, Iniesta out of the squad, and Toure, Deco more than likely starting on the bench.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

:)

I think dunphy will agree

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I thought Mikel and more so Essien were superb today, Drogbas passing game was excellent too, but he didn't have a great game beside that.
    Carvalho was very unfortunate with his part in united's goal
    Overall an excellent game, they deserved to win but came very close to not managing it.
    I presume you mean the attempted back pass that let Rooney in??

Chelsea (Chelsea fans)
    Do you think Fergie changed his team when he saw that Rijkaard left Xavi, Messi, Etoo, Iniesta out of the squad, and Toure, Deco more than likely starting on the bench.

Yeh. We needed to rest for midweek. Evra and Scholes being fresh is key. But losing Vidic and Rooney could be huge. United play ****e without Rooney up front. If he's out, I'll pretty much concede the tie to Barce.

As a side note, Chelsea ran their asses off today, like really gave everything. They are going to be tired against Liverpool, I guarantee it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Jaysus!

Ferguson/Quiroz have a lot to answer for with the tactics the last couple of games and the team selections. O Shea on for Anderson? I couldnt ****ing believe it!

Negative tactics hoping for a draw. They got away with it(just) in Barcelona but they really really got what they deserved today.

From a position of looking like there was no way they could lose the league they now look under severe pressure. Fair enough win the last two games but I feel the whole momentum of the season is being de-railed.

Also what the **** does this do for moral for Tuesday? Throw in the potential injuries for the game and it does all feel like its caving in.

The tactics.The ****ing tactics. I just cant believe it. I`ve never known Ferguson to show fear as a manager but thats whats its been the last couple of weeks.

Chelsea (Chelsea fans)
    The league is still Uniteds to lose.

Beating West Ham at home and Wigan away should be bankers. If we can't win those, we deserve to lose the league.
    The tactics.The ****ing tactics. I just cant believe it. I`ve never known Ferguson to show fear as a manager but thats whats its been the last couple of weeks.

Since 2001 Ferige has been scared ****less to play any sort of attacking football away from home after Real Madrid demolished us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭SCULLY

Excellent game from Chelsea.

Still not creating enough when we are on top but a great win non-the-less.

Some of United loosing their heads at the end -great to see.

Will be interesting to see how injured Rooney is .... definite squeeky bum time at Oldtrafford. Still don't see Chelsea over taking them but they have to earn respect for closing off the gap.

utd paying the price for thinking too much of next Tuesday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

After wed and today I'm completely drained. When Fletcher sent that header towards the net I was on my knees in celebration, I ended up on the floor punching it in frustration. I really don't get why Ferguson is so negative and cautious in these away games, it used to only be in european ties, but more and more if we have a tough away game in the league he's reverting to this 4-3-3 4-5-1 hybrid that just doesn't work for us.

His decision making on substitutions was questionable, and his original team selection was poor. At the same time he's the most successful manager in our history, and I'm sure we'll still win the league. CL could be in doubt if Rooney and Vidic aren't fit, but we're in a good position.

The poor results recently shouldn't take away from a great season, and presuming we can rally and put the final touches on the last few games then we'll deserve what we get out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Delighted. United are not exactly on the best form what with Borough, Blackburn and now us think there's a great chance that MAn Utd will drop points. Unfortunatly, as a Chelsea fan, I am not at all confident of Newcastle

Draw
    Ballack is just single handedly winning games for Chelsea goals wise!!! He wants the CL and EPL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

United (United fans)
    Seriosuly, I hate saying anything bad about Fergie (Just look at the sig :D) but his negativity is astounding. Ive never seen them as negative as in barce game, then today whatever about the starting XI (I didnt agree with) but not bringing on tevez when down and taking anderson off for josh. There was like 20-30 minutes left, he was asking for it!

Couldn't see on the replay the camera couldnt catch it but what yous think of pen. I couldnt really see but it kinda looked like a knee to me.

I laughed at Arsenal for losing the head and blowing it, its not that funny when it happens to your own team :(

Chelsea (Chelsea fans)
    Fergie should be shot for that piece of sh1t today. We have been sh1te in recent weeks as we clam more and more into a defensive shell. Rubbish. We deserved to lose today.

WTF was the point in taking Anderson off.

Giggs shouldnt have been on or even in the squad.

Carrick has been appalling the last 2 or 3 games and should be dropped

Tevez should have been on

Ronaldo should have started if oncly to make Chelsea commit less men forward.

Not even the personnell but the attitude. How have we gona from fluid, passing side to rubbish long ball merchants who cant keep the ball in a matter of weeks? This started with the Arsenal game, we won 2-1 but played ****. Since then we've kept up the same brutal level of performance but stopped getting the results. Last time we played well was Aston Villa. Since then its been defence defence defence.

I have never been so disgusted with Fergie as I am for this joke. He bottled it. He sent out a ****e side with a sh1te gameplan and absolutely no ambition. For 15 mins of the 2nd half it looked a somewhat even contest and then we fluke an undeserved goal and then he takes off Anderson for JOS?

Unbelieveable.

If we play with that attitude against Barcelona we'll be going out thanks to the away goals rule. But since Fergie seems to have dropped his balls off somewhere in Govan maybe we should hope we get knocked out cos judging by his fear lately he'd bottle the final too.

No complaints at all. The linesman made some bad calls for offsides that werent and all that but it doesnt matter, Cheslea wanted it more which is the worst thing, and they deserved their win.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Mad_Max wrote: »
    Couldn't see on the replay the camera couldnt catch it but what yous think of pen. I couldnt really see but it kinda looked like a knee to me.

I laughed at Arsenal for losing the head and blowing it, its not that funny when it happens to your own team :(

No it was a pen imo, similar to Gallas handball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭SCULLY

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Unfortunatly, as a Chelsea fan, I am not at all confident of Newcastle

Totally agree with you - can't see us getting all 3 points over there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

United (United fans)
    SCULLY wrote: »
    Totally agree with you - can't see us getting all 3 points over there.

i can see chelsea winnin 2 or 3-0 tbh! i cant see utd gettin 6 points from their last 2 games!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Chelsea
    We are still easily odds on to win

Utd would have to lose a match and chelsea win both theirs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

We are still easily odds on to win

Utd would have to lose a match and chelsea win both theirs

Wrong. A draw would lose it as well if Chelsea won both theirs.

Chelsea
    i can see chelsea winnin 2 or 3-0 tbh! i cant see utd gettin 6 points from their last 2 games!

lol i can do that to

I can see united winning both their matchs by 10 goals tbh! i can't see chelsea winning any of theirs :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Avram Grant's a top manager!!!

Chelsea (Chelsea fans)
    Yea united need to win both games. And I have no faith in that hapenning since they seem to have stopped training football skills and started to watch anti-motivational videos.

Chelsea
    Wrong. A draw would lose it as well if Chelsea won both theirs.

. sorry

i was gonna say united have to fook up and chelsea not :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

The likes of Aresnal and Liverpool would kill to be in this position with 2 games to go. Win them and we're champions again and they're very winnable if we get back to playing at their best. So chin up guys IT'S IN OUR OWN HANDS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,384 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

PHB wrote: »
    Since 2001 Ferige has been scared ****less to play any sort of attacking football away from home after Real Madrid demolished us.

Never a truer word spoken.
    Ferguson is mentally scared since that night.
    His tactics away from home in Europe since then have been very negative .
    The swashbuckling style of football United used to play in the nineties is long gone.
    ziggy wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    You have been listening too much to the clowns on Sky and BBC I think.
    United have been nowhere near brilliant in the vast majority of matches I have seen.
    They have been efficient and defensively more solid than previous seasons but the quality of their football has been lower grade than before.
    They are not freeflowing anymore .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Deserved win by Chelsea, they looked the team more eager to win it from the kick off. too many mediocre performances from Carrick (why is he still playing???), Nani, O'Shea, and 1 or 2 others, and Rooney did SFA when he came on.

Again Fergie gives the game away by getting his tactics wrong, and he may just have handed the league title away.

Vidic will be back for Tuesday, although his face looked sore. Rooney looks dodgy though.

Some manu players did themselves fook all good by their antics after the game. Fair play to Fergie for trying to quell the nonsense. It was a clear penalty (although a ridiculous one to give away) I don't understand curlys problem tbh. He was lucky to stay on the pitch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,703 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

It was a good match, fair play to Chelsea.

Some people slating Giggs, thought he did well today and if it wasn't for Nani's greed he could have been put clean through twice.

Silverstre was the best player on the pitch for both sides - man he was fired up.

Carrick, yet another match he was afraid to tackle, unlucky for the penalty - very harsh but it was handball. At least he had his passing to fall back on, but that has gone to pot lately. I think Ferguson should drop him for the Barca game, I know Hargreaves and Scholes don't have a great record together this season, but at least it would free up Scholes not to be the tackling midfielder.

Vidic - he was knocked clean out for a split second, it was only the thud of the ground that brought him around again. Tooth through lip, nasty, I expect him fit Tuesday thou.

The last 4 away matches we have been poor 3 draws and a loss, but optimistically the next 2 are at home, so United are still in the driving seat.

One note, will there be a 10 page thread on Drogba's "petulance" v's his talents - I doubt it.

Also Fair play to Cole, good bit of sporting behaviour today, didn't know he had it in him.

I did say a few weeks ago we need Bolton to be still fighting for survival, so a win today for Reading is vitally important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Chelsea (Chelsea fans)
    What the f*ck was that?

He leaves Tevez and Ronaldo out? OK Fergie I know you trust the squad and that's great and everything but...WE WERE PLAYING OUR TITLE RIVALS.

Baffling stuff. It's a big game so play the big game players. I felt for Rooney. He had to feed off scraps and credit to him he fed off Carvalho's scrap with some style but I'm in agreement with Neil1984. Why are we resorting to this overly cautious approach in recent weeks?

Yes we have a strong defence but our main strength is in our attacking play and I feel too much is being asked of the back four. The mentality of the team has been ridiculous of late. Basically play defensive and hope to nick a goal. Why do that though when the opposition are wobbling? Chelsea were there for the taking after the equaliser but instead of bringing on Tevez he decides to take off Anderson (who was orchestrating the attack well) and repalces him with O'Shea. F*cking joke.

I'm a big fan of SAF but he messed up today before, during and after the final whistle. Credit to Chelsea they got their win and made some telling clearances in the final stages.

I still think United will win the title. Seems to me they have the easier run-in as a home game at West Ham SHOULD see three points whilst Chelsea have a tricky game away at Newcastle. Also Wigan look safe so won't have much to play for against United other than pride while Bolton might be fighting for survival against Chelsea.

Looks like it will go closer than us United fans wanted or expected it to.

In my opinion it's time for Fergie to stop being cagey and cautious and to go for it. Every game now until the rest of the season is a must-win and it's time to stop this softly, softly bollocks. We should have went for the jugular today and on Wednesday.

Chelsea (Chelsea fans)
    We should have went for the jugular today and on Wednesday.

Tuesday. Which is probably why players were rested. I can understand Scholes being rested but Tevez and Ronnie? No. And JOS for Anderson summed up the attiutude. Fergie owes the fans a dsecent and positive/attacking team selectiuon next Saturday. i ahte to say this since Im going to the Barca game but the PL is the priority now. BOTH should have been the prioity but the ol bottler has made me pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

United (United fans)
    Sheesh,i must say after this match i am not optimist for the match with Barca coz this will definitly make a prints on teams morale,its going down and pressure is up.I must say i dont mean players are guilty but terrible tactics,1st half was awfull 2nd one was better and they even managed with that defensive roster to make few extra chances and thats why theres noone who can convince me they wouldnt win today if Ronaldo and Tevez played from beggining.2nd half was better but i must say i am pissed with that tactics of playing on a draw by Ferguson,Jesus i had feeling he putted Tevez and Ronaldo in fire after Rooney's goal they would win today,but no,why to do it when we can last 30min spend on defending,i must say Ferguson is onlyone guilty for this today coz this tactics were terrible and players were like lost on the field,subtitutes also terrible anyway United lost but its not over,i still think they will win last 2 games but right now they need to cheer up for Barca and play hell good game,but as i said,these few last games and their playing dont make me optimistic ....

United (United fans)
    And about the players,VdS was so unsure,Rio solid,Silvestre surprised me positively i think he was good,Rooney wasnt getting enough ball but he did the job when he was,Giggs terrible,Hargreaves like he is lost on field,Anderson solid,Nani was trying but without support so he was making a lot of mistakes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Silvestre fair played, didn't think you had it in you.
    Ferguson's negative tactics are possibly costing us to be left empty handed at the end of the season! Terrible, terrible defensive attitude which does NOT suit out team :(
    Please attack from now on :) I still believe in the double but ONLY if we play to our strengths and ATTACK :)

• Advertisement

United (United fans)
    I agree this tactics with playing on result is very bad and Manchester needs to return to his style,ATTACK and i still believe they can win both races

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

And about the players,VdS was so unsure,

Van Der Sar has always been dodgy. It's just a small pool of quality keepers in the last ten years that has him in the job. At Juventus he was known as Shaggy - for his fear of the ball (and his hair!)

United (United fans)
    hehe well i am saying today he was more clampsy than ussual

Chelsea (Chelsea fans)
    VDS has always been dodgy in big games, always gona be.
    Foster would have displaced him by now imo if he was fit.

--

Quierez pissed off, saying we didn't get a penalty against Blackburn, we didn't get 2 against Barca, and didn't get one today (The Ballack foul on United)

I can see United getting a penalty maybe not against Barca, but defo against West Ham or Wigan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

great game and a great performance from the chelsea team, cracking atmosphere at the bridge today (even without the plastic flags).

Chatting to a few utd supporters on the tube afterwards and they, like many on here, seem baffled by the way fergie has set up his teams of late.

Great to maintain our undefeated home record, I thought we could have been 3-0 up in the first 25 minutes mostly thanks to joe cole and drogba causing so many problems for utd. there was also a very good shout for a penalty just prior to the one we did get, will have to take another look at motd but i think that may have had some influence on the decision.

Great to see Utd's players continuing to respect the officials in their own unique manner ;-) and nice to see Rio's kicking skills are improving too http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/sport/football.html?in_article_id=562244&in_page_id=1779&ito=newsnow

I still don't really expect utd to lose the premiership but i can hope (and cheer on west ham for once)

• Advertisement
Advertisement