Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man Utd vs. Chelsea

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

United (United fans)
    it was a woman?! :eek: ah rio!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

PHB wrote: »
    --

Quierez pissed off, saying we didn't get a penalty against Blackburn, we didn't get 2 against Barca, and didn't get one today (The Ballack foul on United)

I can see United getting a penalty maybe not against Barca, but defo against West Ham or Wigan

He had a right moan all right, did ferguson give an interview to sky?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

growler wrote: »
    Great to see Utd's players continuing to respect the officials in their own unique manner ;-) and nice to see Rio's kicking skills are improving too http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/sport/football.html?in_article_id=562244&in_page_id=1779&ito=newsnow
    Lol @ the pic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Chelsea
    So are we all in agreeance Ferguson showed today that he values the CL more than the PL?

Baffling decisions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,703 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Mr Alan wrote: »
    So are we all in agreeance Ferguson showed today that he values the CL more than the PL?

Baffling decisions.

Not in the slightest.

United have 3 huge games in 7 days, include travel and key injuries it is a massive task by any recogning.

He had to spread the team around and some things did not go for him and his hand was forced.

He played for a draw today, the gamble did not pay off but he was safe in the knowledge that the rug the premeirship is would not be pulled from under him thanks to a perceived easier run in and vastly superior goal difference.

Look at the bigger picture, it was a week of 2 penalties for United if one had gone in and another soft one not given, it would be a completely different slant on things now wouldn't it? Football is about fine margins, they don't come finer than that.

United for the double, United Forever!

Boggles wrote: »
    Look at the bigger picture, it was a week of 2 penalties for United if one had gone in and another soft one not given, it would be a completely different slant on things now wouldn't it? Football is about fine margins, they don't come finer than that.

United for the double, United Forever!

As an Arsenal supporter it really is a fine margin,who knows if that penalty had not been given in the Birmingham match we might have gone on and won the league ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Chelsea
    ha truely hilarious.

Ferguson showed today what his priority is and was hoping the team he put out could hold out for a draw.

The penalties thing is hilarious, Chelsea were right to get a peno. And Ferdinand was lucky to stay on the pitch for attacking the ref like he did.

Utd players got in a fight with Chelsea stewards while warming down as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

United (United fans)
    hang on folks, theres WAY too many if's and but's goin on here, this is the way it panned out, like it or lump it, utd have turned to sh!t in the last few weeks and arsenal imploded on themselves!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

United (United fans)
    Just saw a better angle on the news there, definate penalty.

• Advertisement

I really hope the FA look at this, really is poor behaviour ;)

I wonder will MOTD highlight this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Baffling decisions.

No. I believe hes being over cautious and seriously under minding the mind set and momentum of the team.

ha truely hilarious.

Ferguson showed today what his priority is and was hoping the team he put out could hold out for a draw.

Of course, the last time he tried to attack at the bridge they were hammered 3-0, Chelsea havn't lost there in an ice age for a reason.
    The penalties thing is hilarious, Chelsea were right to get a peno. And Ferdinand was lucky to stay on the pitch for attacking the ref like he did.

It was a peno IMO, but when was the last time you saw a linesman give a peno. But Carrick did try get his hand out of the way, it was not hand to ball, so it was a soft peno, given by a linesman

What has that got to do with the match?

What it boils down to is Rijkaard, Grant, Benitez all would give a bollock a piece to be in Fergusons position in both the league and CL.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    I really hope the FA look at this, really is poor behaviour ;)

Well, who are the FA likely to curry favour with, Groundskeeper Willy, or the next England Captain? :)

It was a peno IMO, but when was the last time you saw a linesman give a peno. But Carrick did try get his hand out of the way, it was not hand to ball, so it was a soft peno, given by a linesman

I thought it was very similar to one given against Gallas. Don't think you can argue with it.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    I thought it was very similar to one given against Gallas. Don't think you can argue with it.

Gallas hand moved towards the ball, Carrick tried to get his out of the way, so yeah you can argue. Actually you can argue pretty much anything when it comes to football! :)

both pens imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Well, who are the FA likely to curry favour with, Groundskeeper Willy, or the next England Captain? :)

Are you sure it wasn't Groundskeeper Wilma?

Baffling decisions.

No. He showed he's bottling it in the final run in both competitions.

• Advertisement

Are you sure it wasn't Groundskeeper Wilma?

Haha, I think it was actually Steward Little! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,346 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

thought ferguson was fairly pathetic over all today, terrible team selection and after the match blamed everything but himself or his team, mostly himself though.

I think Park saw more action in that 2 minute tiff than in the whole game at the Camp Nou.

mayordenis wrote: »
    thought ferguson was fairly pathetic over all today, terrible team selection and after the match blamed everything but himself or his team, mostly himself though.

just heard it now, moan moan moan, thats all he is doing, his head is about to explode.

I think Park saw more action in that 2 minute tiff than in the whole game at the Camp Nou.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

mayordenis wrote: »

Of course he is going to say that. It would have a huge effect on the players if he came out and said we deserved to be beaten or if he said he got it wrong on his team selection. He would have been in the dressing room telling the players that the better team got beaten. Drilling it into them that they are still by far the best team in the league. If he falls they all fall.

Well he saw about as much of the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

United (United fans)
    People will say it doesnt matter how we play if we win the league.................it does, I support United because I want to see good football but not this crap game after game. Loosing interest in football/Utd gradually after watching this muck for the last few years.

Christ I was always skeptical about you and your Man Utd alliance but it's all clear now.

and I see as usual Ironingbored is stinking up a topic involving a premiership side with childish trolling. Well done mate!

As for the match, I only saw the 1st half due to exams, but we were well and truly outplayed and again our passing was terrible.

Very disappointed that Ferguson seems to of chosen the CL over the league. I found the 3 seasons we didn't win the league between 2004-2006 much more disappoiting than only winning the CL once under him.

Ah well

Win our next 4 games and it's a double.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Im delighted by the result, not because of any allegiance but because it makes the end of the season a cliffhanger. hooray for football! goodbye studying!

Im delighted by the result, not because of any allegiance but because it makes the end of the season a cliffhanger. hooray for football! goodbye studying!

Very true, very exciting end to the season, both at the top and bottom of the league.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Draw
    Look at the bigger picture, it was a week of 2 penalties for United if one had gone in and another soft one not given, it would be a completely different slant on things now wouldn't it? Football is about fine margins, they don't come finer than that

Go back 2 weeks and swap
    p arsenal for united, it is the same thing. Yet Arsenal will seem to have bottled it in the press for some reason and Wenger gets slated!

What do people think about Fergies moaning lately. Every match they dont win he has a moan. He was a right to moan if he feels like it but what i dont like is fans that defend his actions attack other managers when they do it.
    Pot calling kettle black and all that.
    I still think united will win the league and Barca the CL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭GBX

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Well I got that right. :D

2-1 €4 @11-1 on Betfair. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Gotta say fair play to John Terry for trying to break up the handbags/fighting between Rio and Makelele (and others) towards the end of the match.

MOTD mentioned the post-match trouble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Anyone watching MOTD? Pics of a scuffle between some UTd players that were warming down and Chelsea groundstaff, and apparently Ferdinand kicked a woman when he was trtign to kick a wall. :)

Odd goings on altogether.

DaveMcG wrote: »
    MOTD mentioned the post-match trouble

Just saw your post after I posted, was it mentioned after the match? (I switched straight to the Liverpool game)

should really red the whole thred before replying. noticed gbx's post too.:)

Don't think it was mentioned after the match, no... I didn't hear it anyway

Did anyone else laugh alot when Hargreaves took a ball in the sack? :D His facial expression was just gas! Rio was laughing at him too, lol

Did anyone else laugh alot when Hargreaves took a ball in the sack? :D His facial expression was just gas! Rio was laughing at him too, lol

Football in the groin in the single funniest phrase and situation in sport. (when it doesnt involve me, but I've had more than my fair share)

I reckon Fletcher meant it, he wellied into it.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

United (United fans)
    Thought it was frickin gas when rio was kicking him. I didnt know he'd took it in the crowns. Hilarious stuff alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭NotWormBoy

Draw
    Gotta say fair play to John Terry for trying to break up the handbags/fighting between Rio and Makelele (and others) towards the end of the match.

Well, Terry is captain. You'd expect him to go in and try and calm one of his players down if the guy was in a scuffle. Actually, no, you're right, you'd expect him to have a go at the opposition team guy in the scuffle. Not take the high ground and try and stop the whole thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Chelsea (Chelsea fans)
    anyone who thinks Fergie is bottling the end of the season is crazy imo, he has been there and done it before many a time, and been in worse positions then this and won leagues......i was one of the guys who lambasted the team tactics today, but i dont for a second doubt Fergies reasoning, he felt he could tactically null chelsea and similar to Barca get a draw, which is all he wanted by all accounts, it disgusts me to think that we play for draws but from wht i saw in Spain and what i witnessed today it has become clear that we do play to nick goals sometimes, what we need to do is get back to that raw aggression and offensive talent we are renowned for

if someone told any united fan at the start of the season that all you have to do to be crowned champions is beat west Ham and Wigan they would have taken your arm off, me included, so why is it different now? its not, United will have to play these remaining games to win, they will have to attack!!! drawing is no good and defeat is obviously no good so im sure we will see the united team that we love(united fans obv) going for the wins.....

we have been playing cagey in big games for too long now, i think today Fergie will realise privatley that it does not suit our mentality, the mentality of the players he has signed!! so we should just play to our strengths,

if we fail we fail our way, we fail as Manchester United and at least do the jersey proud......i for one dont think we would fail if we played on the offensive, imposing our tactics on other teams and not vice versa. i think we can outscore anybody,and we have a better defense then most to back it up with!

that Madrid game has a lot to answer for in terms of how we play our big games, as never will fergie want to be embarassed on the pitch in that way again, but i feel we are embarased on the pitch by playing within ourselves. i think we have to play the united way, win lose or draw.

hold true to the foundations of this team and the pride in wearing the jersey and we cannot fail.

if we turn up and play like we know we can in our next four games we will win a fantastic double.

of that i have no doubt

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

NotWormBoy wrote: »
    Well, Terry is captain. You'd expect him to go in and try and calm one of his players down if the guy was in a scuffle. Actually, no, you're right, you'd expect him to have a go at the opposition team guy in the scuffle. Not take the high ground and try and stop the whole thing.

Just like Rio, Man Utd's captain??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Chelsea (Chelsea fans)
    Fergie is talking to the press not to moan and complain but to try and influence the refs in future games. Wenger was doing that, but after they had lost, he still kept blaming it. Fergie will stop pretty much the second the titles or CLs are over, and look at the team and himself as to why they lost.

That said, what annoyed me yesterday was not so much the peno decision against us, I think its a peno, but Ballack on Ronaldo was a defo peno, and Brown might have given away a handball penalty aswell, but its the offside against Ronaldo. He was clearly onside and the linesman flagged it. Like penalties are tough things to give, but you've got to do better with the offside decisions.

Chelsea (Chelsea fans)
    Fergie is talking to the press not to moan and complain but to try and influence the refs in future games. Wenger was doing that, but after they had lost, he still kept blaming it. Fergie will stop pretty much the second the titles or CLs are over, and look at the team and himself as to why they lost.

That said, what annoyed me yesterday was not so much the peno decision against us, I think its a peno, but Ballack on Ronaldo was a defo peno, and Brown might have given away a handball penalty aswell, but its the offside against Ronaldo. He was clearly onside and the linesman flagged it. Like penalties are tough things to give, but you've got to do better with the offside decisions.

Except that Drogba handled it first before Brown.

Yes Ron was well onside and Ballack got away with it but we didnt deserve a point, we were muck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Chelsea (Chelsea fans)
    I'm not arguing with you, I think people make their own luck in those regards bar the odd few times, but I think Fergie's just trying to get the refs to stop being so ****ing unwilling to give us a penalty. It's getting to a joke at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

In all honesty though we shouldn't be using the lack of penalties as an excuse fro not getting results, even performing well...Fergie et al wouldn't bring up such decisions if we played well and got a result, it's just frustration and he wants to vent it somewhere.

Chelsea (Chelsea fans)
    I'm not arguing with you, I think people make their own luck in those regards bar the odd few times, but I think Fergie's just trying to get the refs to stop being so ****ing unwilling to give us a penalty. It's getting to a joke at this stage.

I completely agree, we;ve had some bloody useless decisions against us in recent weeks for sure. I was just talking in the context of yesterdays game I feel we got what we deserved. I hop that this is another "Real madrid" moment for Fergie. i.e - just like when he over committed against Real and got spanked and decided he cant do that anymore, this time he under committed in that we cheaply (again) gave the ball away and played with no ambition, and this is the result that makes it dawn on him that this doesnt work either. I doubt it though.

Fergie is definitely trying to influence the refs, just like every other manager does, Ive no problem with that especially given the Emerton/Ballack/Marquez/Abidal incidents of recent weeks.

Ronaldo and Ballack were hanging out of each other, Ballack may have started it but Ronaldo gave as good as he got. No peno unless your are happy to get and concede 4 or 5 of them in every game.

Stekelly wrote: »
    Ronaldo and Ballack were hanging out of each other, Ballack may have started it but Ronaldo gave as good as he got.

Not a f*cking chance. Anybody could see that Ronaldo was trying to escape from Ballack's grasp

Advertisement