Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Revenge

• 24-04-2008 12:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭

How much does revenge and competition with those you have conflicts with drive you?

Do you think this mentality helps you to do well or impedes you?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

best served cold!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I'm currently not seeking revenge against anyone so, not at all!

There appears to be an opening for the position of
    "NKay's Mortal Enemy". Anyone fancy it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Affable wrote: »
    How much does revenge and competition with those you have conflicts with drive you?
    It doesn't.

It's a possible motivating factor for some people, I guess. They may well do well out of it in a materialistic sense, I'm not sure it's worth the ulcers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭ThE_IVIAcIVIAIV

its never worth the ulcers :) just get with life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

In what capacity? There are instances Where I would / wouldnt give a s.hit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Which mods are you talking about? Lets make a plan!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I often think about elaborate plots for revenge, but have never yet put one into practise. Mostly because these ideas always involve some serious illegality...

My mentality is to just get on with things really, so there's certainly nothing impeding about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Not very much, I don't think I've taken revenge in a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

Hate/revenge requries energy
    I have not come across anyone who would require anymore of my time than a quick flick of the middle finger - ie not worth the energy or the air space that they are taking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

LouOB wrote: »
    Hate/revenge requries energy
    I have not come across anyone who would require anymore of my time than a quick flick of the middle finger - ie not worth the energy or the air space that they are taking

I disagree as it depends largely on the person. Me, i have sought revenge a couple of times for acts committed against my friends or family. I didn't get worked up about it, just did what i felt needed doing to even the balance and then moved on.

If you let anything fester, be it doubt, anxiety, fear, revenge then sure, it's gonna take it's toll. If you can just react as you need to and be chilled about things then it won't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

It's a great thought, but revenge, especially cold, just usually leads to more grief. Like somebody else said: just get on with life.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 betty_swollox

An Fhile wrote: »
    I often think about elaborate plots for revenge, but have never yet put one into practise. Mostly because these ideas always involve some serious illegality...

My mentality is to just get on with things really, so there's certainly nothing impeding about it.

In other words you're a coward!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭DonalN

now that's just not nice.

choosing to remove yourself from a situation where things could potentially turn nasty is not about being a coward.

DonalN wrote: »
    now that's just not nice.

choosing to remove yourself from a situation where things could potentially turn nasty is not about being a coward.

Depends on the situation surely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

flanum wrote: »
    best served cold!

And sweet.

I'm currently hatching a plot to get back at the Doctor who held me upside down by my feet and deliberately smacked my butt to make me cry when I was born. It involves a chair, duct tape and a scalpel. Now I'm not one to hold a grudge, but he was bigger and older than me so I reckon he deserves it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bangersandmash

I know a guy must be very motivated by revenge. His "friend" got with his girlfriend so as revenge, he scooped all the butter out of the tub, took a shit in it, melted the butter, poured in in and allowed it to cool, :pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Some people would construe that as personal abuse.

I am not now, nor have I ever been, a coward. I simply do not see revenge as an appropriate motivating factor in how I live my life. See Ghandi, an eye for an eye, whole world blind, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭chuci

thought about revenge plenty of times never followed it through. thought. it just depends in the situation if someone really deserved it them i prob would go through with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I don't think i ever needed to get revenge on someone. Karma usually sorts things out for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Harbouring ill feeling towards anyone which would include revenge is just a burden on the holder, and serves no purpose.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

Without competition there'd be no progress in the world. From competition comes a lot of bitchiness and nastiness, unfortunately. Just a part of life really...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Affable

Without competition there'd be no progress in the world. From competition comes a lot of bitchiness and nastiness, unfortunately. Just a part of life really...

Not so sure. You don't need bitchiness and nastiness to actually make people more productive useful citizens, it can just be a huge waste of energy.

An Fhile wrote: »
    Some people would construe that as personal abuse.

I am not now, nor have I ever been, a coward. I simply do not see revenge as an appropriate motivating factor in how I live my life. See Ghandi, an eye for an eye, whole world blind, etc.

It was a mere questioning opinion my dear fhile not a character assassination, calm down dear

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭electric69

A bird poo'ed on my helicopter so i split him into 100 piece 2000ft up in the air :D:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

snyper wrote: »
    Harbouring ill feeling towards anyone which would include revenge is just a burden on the holder, and serves no purpose.
    Although there are some philosophies that hold that the more spectacular, nasty, and cold blooded the revenge, the more respect you show for the target. Although as decades of Bond films have shown us, that doesn't always work out for the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

the best revenge is a happy life.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Dashticle

You can have competition wiouth bitchiness and nastiness. Competition is where you actively try to better someone else by improving yourself which is a positive thing, where as if you're bitching and being nasty you're just wasting energy being a nasty bitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

nkay1985 wrote: »
    I'm currently not seeking revenge against anyone so, not at all!

There appears to be an opening for the position of
    "NKay's Mortal Enemy". Anyone fancy it?

you smell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

I think the best revenge is kidnapping someone in a black van with armed Balaclava guys and leaving them in the middle of nowhere with nothing on them.

• Advertisement

Bit of both really. Depends how deep the wound.

I am Keyser Söze

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I wouldnt usually set out to do somehting big out of revenge.I just do little things particiularly if its a friend thats in the wrong.i find dangling it over their head and watching them squirm is more satisfying then just going mental.aswell without me going mad over it she definietly stays in the wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

Not so sure. You don't need bitchiness and nastiness to actually make people more productive useful citizens, it can just be a huge waste of energy.

I completely agree. But my point is that a lot of bitchiness and nastiness often comes out of competition.

Advertisement