Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wrong size cavity in footings!!

• 24-04-2008 1:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Checked the footings after the brickie had finished. He left a 100mm cavity in between the two rows of 4" blocks instead of 120mm which is on the plans.

I'm planning on using 80mm rigid insulation and 40mm cavity.

Any suggestions as to what to do since if I want a 120mm cavity all the way up the blocks won't be aligned with the footings.

I have a few thoughts (bar screaming at the brickie) but would like to hear your suggestions.

BTW when I asked him about it he said 100mm was the standard. I said I wasn't building a standard house and it was clearly on the plans. Was greeted with silence.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

Screaming at the brickie is the only answer if you want it done right.

You cant have a 120mm cavity if the footings are not correct. You cannot just widen the wall as you go up the building.

You would be better getting it redone now if it is a 120mm cavity you want. If it was on the drawing you gave him then its his problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

100mm isn't standard, not anymore.

Also, are you refering to the whole rising wall from the foundations, or just the lower courses. How much to be re-done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

If it was me, I'd get him to re-do it.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

YES, THIS IS A NO-BRAINER... HES DONE IT INCORRECTLY, GET HIM TO DO IT AGAIN....

sorry about the caps again... i must learn to type while looking at the screen.... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,324 ✭✭✭✭muffler

sydthebeat wrote: »
    YES, THIS IS A NO-BRAINER... HES DONE IT INCORRECTLY, GET HIM TO DO IT AGAIN....

sorry about the caps again... i must learn to type while looking at the screen.... ;)

YES, THIS IS A NO-BRAINER... HES DONE IT INCORRECTLY, GET HIM TO DO IT AGAIN.... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

I once had footings complete for house when owner decided they no longer wanted a timber frame house but opted for a concrete block house with cavity of course.
    we decided to add a block to the external leaf so as to give bearing for the new wider cavity. Original cavity construction was 100 block, 50mm gap and 100mm block, new cavity 100mm internal, 110mm gap, 100mm external block and immediately another 100mm block.

Alternatively we had considered filling gap between external wall and trench with concrete. This could have been done when floor slab was being poured.

BTW, I have always understood 110mm gap to be the norm. I should mention I rarely build block houses. If this is correct then the OP could solve his problem by simply offsetting the next row of blocks by 5mm on each leaf. I believe that is acceptable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Just re-read my post and realised it doesn't make sense.
    we added a 100mm block to existing 100mm block 50mm cavity 100mm block.
    That gave us a 200mm wide outer wall 50mm cavity and 100mm inner wall
    above DPC we widened cavity and ended up with 100mm outer wall, 110mm cavity and 100mm inner wall.

Advertisement