Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suitable careers

Options
  • 24-04-2008 1:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Mine is a long story but to keep it short I'm in my 30's and I'm quite physically disabled and due to illness have little education.
    I'm kinda stuck in a rut and am trying to decide what to do education and career wise.
    I don't have my leaving cert or anything and I'm not to keen on going back and starting from scratch, I think I'd prefer to try and pick an area and do a course or something but I'm having trouble deciding what to do.

So I was wondering what different people either disabled or not think would be suitable choices for a disabled person.
    I know I'm asking a very open ended question and not providing much information but I was hoping to hear from disabled people who are working or anyone with an idea.
    Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Hi, welcome to baords.

What areas interest you firstly?

Is there anything you think you'd like to do and feel you'd be able to do?

There are many courses available to you nowadays, lots of them can be done online or through other correspondance so there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to find something you like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 gkl

Hi, and thank you.

Thats kind of the thing, the areas where I do have an interest such as the environment/nature /archeology are areas I don't think I could work in as their fairly physically demanding.
    I'm just not sure which way to take, I know my best bet is probably some sort of computer or desk job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

why don't you contact one of the voluntary orgs to get work experience..e.g. Enfo/ irish wildlife trust...would give you a feel for an area :)

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Power Chords

Just on your interest in archaeology, there's a hugh range of work in this particular area that doesn't require sitting in a hole all day, digging or tolling through mud.
    I study archaeology in Trinity and even though I had a long term interest in archaeology I was surprised by how much more to it there was.
    Lots of room for research and theory based work that may suit you. I would imagine nature/environmental studies would be similarly expansive.
    Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

gkl wrote: »
    Hi, and thank you.

Thats kind of the thing, the areas where I do have an interest such as the environment/nature /archeology are areas I don't think I could work in as their fairly physically demanding.
    I'm just not sure which way to take, I know my best bet is probably some sort of computer or desk job.

I have a vague recollection of an article during the last series of 360 on RTE TV covering a guy with serious physical disabilities (possibly an amputee) who was actively engaged in a career in archeology. You might find that public bodies (such as local authorities) would be particularly well disposed towards employing a person with a disability, given the pressure to meet the 3% employment target.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 gkl

Thank you all for your information and help.

Advertisement