Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bottles of minerals

Options
  • 24-04-2008 1:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭

Just saw another thread on Cadbury's Diary Milks, and thought of this. What do you think of the average for a bottle of Coke/Sprite?Fanta etc? I always thought about 1.50 average (in Dublin), less in supermarkets, but today I actually paid 2.10 for a bottle of Diet Coke.

Is it just me, or is this taking the ****? More fool me for paying it, but I was really thirsty and there's nowhere else that close to where I bought it.:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

AlexBM wrote: »
    Just saw another thread on Cadbury's Diary Milks, and thought of this. What do you think of the average for a bottle of Coke/Sprite?Fanta etc? I always thought about 1.50 average (in Dublin), less in supermarkets, but today I actually paid 2.10 for a bottle of Diet Coke.

Is it just me, or is this taking the ****? More fool me for paying it, but I was really thirsty and there's nowhere else that close to where I bought it.:rolleyes:

I'd consider 1.50 pretty expensive. 1.40 about the average in most Spars/Centras I've bene in

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I paid (just the one time:)) 2.65 for a 250ml bottle of tropicana multivitamin juice in an Applegreen service station.

When you compare the price of a 2ltr bottle of anything fizzy, its a complete rip off for the 500ml bottles.

Arent we suckers to pay for these?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭tippbhoy

I won't mention the shops but i bought a bottle of 500Ml+20%(i think) extra lucozade sport sunday when very hung over. Got a few other bits and the bill was over a tenner so i got a receipt and checked it outside. €3.15 for a bottle of "stuff". Took it back and got my money back and made a point about it. I don't expect supermarket prices in convenience but i knew enough to know this was a rip off.

checked 2 other shops in the next 2 days, one was €2.15 and one was €2.40 for the exact same bottle. All were convenience stores.

Always check the price and vote with your feet when necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

€1.40 in college, €145-50 in convenience places and €1 in the vending machine in work:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭AlexBM

Never again! I'll make sure I buy before I venture out to Blackrock. I just thought that was pushing it. They're making a huge profit out of suckers like me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Coke is so bad for you anyway - the higher the price it is the better for people's health.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭tippbhoy

axer wrote: »
    Coke is so bad for you anyway - the higher the price it is the better for people's health.

that's like the governments attitude to everything, keep bulking up the price rather than facing the problem. Same with drink, fags, chewing gum, bag levy etc. etc. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

tippbhoy wrote: »
    that's like the governments attitude to everything, keep bulking up the price rather than facing the problem. Same with drink, fags, chewing gum, bag levy etc. etc. :mad:

Got a better solution?
    Bag levy was a huge success, don't think anyone could argue it wasn't.

€2.10 is expensive alright but it's €2.50 for a 500ml bottle in my local cinema

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i was charged 1.50 for a can of coke the other day in the epicurian food hall in abbey street

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

that's like the governments attitude to everything, keep bulking up the price rather than facing the problem. Same with drink, fags, chewing gum, bag levy etc. etc. mad.gif

There is no government fizzy pop tax as far as I know.

• Advertisement

i was charged 1.50 for a can of coke the other day in the epicurian food hall in abbey street

Ha, I think that works out worse than mine. I wonder if that's everywhere in there, or if you were just unlucky. I remember when cans used to cost 30 pence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

4 euro for a Bottle of Deep Riverock Water in UCI Coolock.

AlexBM wrote: »
    Ha, I think that works out worse than mine. I wonder if that's everywhere in there, or if you were just unlucky. I remember when cans used to cost 30 pence.

dont know if its everywhere but that was in instanbul - the kebab place

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

dont know if its everywhere but that was in instanbul - the kebab place

Not to mention some places selling the Cans of Coke with the old style ring pull and the arabic writting down the side.

Or the pubs getting glass bottles of coke from up north (175ml) and charging same price.

Haven't seen the old-style ring pulls, or the Arabic writing, but I heard somewhere German coke is cheaper to buy in. My dad used to work in a hotel in Dublin and they bought it from there. Apparently the savings aren't being passed on to the consumers!

I can't believe 4 quid for a bottle of water, though. 4 bloody quid. Ridiculous. Remember when everyone used to drink tap water?!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

axer wrote: »

There is so much wrong with this sentence that I don't even know where to begin to reply to the post, and if I reply to the poster I will definitely get a banning.

Strangely, I've always found the cheapest places to buy minerals, apart from Tescos and the like, are off licenses. My local Molloys is 1.10 for a 500 ml bottle, pretty cheap compared to spar and some of those places

4 euro for a Bottle of Deep Riverock Water in UCI Coolock.

thats absolutely shocking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Centra Prices

500ml bottle 7up €1.65

750ml bottle 7up €1.89

1.25l bottle 7up €1.69

1.25l cheaper than 750ml, and just 4c dearer than 500ml

??????

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Just noticed on one of those labels on the gold coke bottles at the moment where you can win a free coke, on the back of the label under 'to the retailer' it says they'll reimburse up to €1.45.

So I'm saving any winning labels I get to use in shops charging daft prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Semi relevant to thread topic;
    6 can multipack of coca cola product goes for about €3.70 in my local Tesco/Dunnes...Aldi/Lidl about the same.
    ...about 62c a can.

I do most of my food shopping in the North...Sainsbury's Newry usually. All their 6 pack of coke products retail at £2.45 or just under 41p a can.
    Without getting into debates about Stg/Eur exchange rates, the 41p currently costs ~53c (consumer rate)...
    But that's not my main point here...most week's Sainsbury's will have BOGOF or 2for1 offers on either coke or pepsi products and they have other promotional deals too....like the 24 pack slab of Diet Coke I picked up last month for £7.50...that works out at 31p a can or 39-40 cent in real money. These are retail prices, not cash and carry.
    The rip off in the republic extends far outside of the convenience store experience...

As regards overpriced bottles of minerals...we all get caught out and thirsty in the wrong place...if I'm working in Dublin I'll make it my busines to buy either the 1.25 share size or the 2lt bottle of my chosen tipple over the 500ml idiot size. Even if I end up binning the half of one of the other larger bottles, I've still saved money.
    The whole smaller is dearer model is crap...larger bottles contain more product, are more expensive to ship and store due to weight/size, but yet cost a fraction of the single serving packs, all because people don't want to carry a large bottle or to be seen drinking from one...

• Advertisement
Advertisement