Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Disgusting joyriding scum - When are the government going to lock these up (video inc

Options
  • 24-04-2008 1:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

http://www.bebo.com/FlashBox.jsp?FlashBoxId=6119878323&

This is just an absolute, I find it so depressing and frustrating to watch this video, scummy little inbreds. You can just picture some chap probably in his mid 20's who worked hard to buy this Mazda Rx7 (probably standing him 10-15grand), getting up every morning to go to work and pay his way and buy a decent car for himself and then it getting stolen and burned out from these absolute misfits.

The amount of cars being stolen in the past 3 months is an absolute joke, a lot of folks dont hear about it or arent aware of just how bad this car robbing has become. A lot of young peoples cars are stolen and its sort of ignored to an extent, young people tend not to complain/report as much as older people. If 10 Audi A4'd or passats were stolen tomorrow it can be guaranteed these middle aged owners would be on the radio, hounding for action, etc... But because its mostly youngsters cars stolen to an extend it sort of gets passed over.

The government need to sort this problem out, tougher jail sentences are needed, if you're caught robbing a car or in a stolen car joy-riding it should be 2/3years jail minimum. There are lads with over 50 convictions for car crime walking the streets, these scumbags should be in jail for 5 -10 years.

It is so demeaning and depressing for a person that is working honestly to have their car stolen and burned in the manner above and then see the justice system pass it off as petty crime to keep statistics down and then for the culprit to be given a trivial sentence. There is nothing petty about having your property stolen, and thrashed by scum that should be i njail and then buned out. Where is the justice for the working person? I personnally believe this country is becomming more and more of a joke by the day, threr is basically no law in this country, a scummer knows he will get away with destroying another persons car, thats how bad it is. Its depressing and demeaning to the average honest working person. There are scumbags posting videos all over bebo of their "crimes" and setting up bebo sites full of stolen cars and pictures of cars they see in their area and plan to steal, etc. Its disgusting and disgraceful that people are expected to put up with this because the government will not put them in jail.

What can be done to get jail sentences increased to what they should be, do we need to make noise, stir up a fuss with the government or political parties to get this topic the attention it needs. Do young people need to get involved in their local party and get voting on a review of the justice system in this country, if the majority of the people in this country want jail sentences for joy-riding increased; does this mean there should be a vote on how long sentences should be and let the people vote what is an appropriate sentence?

Please discuss! frown.gifmad.giffrown.giffrown.giffrown.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Nuttzyy wrote: »
    Please discuss!
    No. Not even if you fix the mega-wide problem.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

I think you are getting ahead of yourself OP. The first problem is catching these feckers and there are no where near enough resources available for this. Our new Garda Traffic Corps are too busy hiding in bushes trying to catch commuters driving at 5 kms over the speed limit or keeping the governments purse full of VRT dodgers money.

There is no revenue to be had by going after car criminals and until there is, this (or any successive) government will do nothing significant about it and it will be left to the car owners to foot the bill by paying higher insurance premiums.

Even if & when these theives are caught prison is no deterrent for this scum. Most joyriders are juveniles who will just receive a caution and have their parents told and as most of the parents don't give a rats arse anyway these kids are free to do the same thing the following night.
    Our prisons are too full of junkie bag snatchers and fine dodgers to accommodate car criminals, and even multiple offenders "get away" with just a fine.

My suggestion is to build sniper towers on every housing estate in Ireland, man them with sharp shooters with high powered rifles. As soon as the joyriders come near a tower......bang! The problem is solved and one less joyrider on the road.

But this tactic is a bit too extreme for most people (especially politicians) so we will have to live with the "Now don't do it again" system.

The only other thing I can suggest is that the parents of these joyriders (if the offender is under 18) are forced to pay back every penny of damaged caused to the victim, which should be automatically deducted from their wages/dole until the full debt is paid.

Or, the victim should be able to claim from their insurance company and the offender (or parents) made to reimburse the insurance company in full. This should help keep premiums down.

but I am in favour of the sniper option

• Registered Users Posts: 6,364 ✭✭✭positron

Scumbags p*sses me off big time! They are having a laugh at the expense of honest people who might be doing 60 hour weeks to support their families and passions. Good law enforcement = peace of mind. If Government doesn't have enough resources, it should at least acknowledge the facts, and find another solution to face the issue - for instance, set aside resources to help build alternate forms of policing like community policing etc..., imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Nuttzyy wrote: »

This is just an absolute, I find it so depressing and frustrating to watch this video, scummy little inbreds. You can just picture some chap probably in his mid 20's who worked hard to buy this Mazda Rx7 (probably standing him 10-15grand), getting up every morning to go to work and pay his way and buy a decent car for himself and then it getting stolen and burned out from these absolute misfits.

The amount of cars being stolen in the past 3 months is an absolute joke, a lot of folks dont hear about it or arent aware of just how bad this car robbing has become. A lot of young peoples cars are stolen and its sort of ignored to an extent, young people tend not to complain/report as much as older people. If 10 Audi A4'd or passats were stolen tomorrow it can be guaranteed these middle aged owners would be on the radio, hounding for action, etc... But because its mostly youngsters cars stolen to an extend it sort of gets passed over.

The government need to sort this problem out, tougher jail sentences are needed, if you're caught robbing a car or in a stolen car joy-riding it should be 2/3years jail minimum. There are lads with over 50 convictions for car crime walking the streets, these scumbags should be in jail for 5 -10 years.

It is so demeaning and depressing for a person that is working honestly to have their car stolen and burned in the manner above and then see the justice system pass it off as petty crime to keep statistics down and then for the culprit to be given a trivial sentence. There is nothing petty about having your property stolen, and thrashed by scum that should be i njail and then buned out. Where is the justice for the working person? I personnally believe this country is becomming more and more of a joke by the day, threr is basically no law in this country, a scummer knows he will get away with destroying another persons car, thats how bad it is. Its depressing and demeaning to the average honest working person. There are scumbags posting videos all over bebo of their "crimes" and setting up bebo sites full of stolen cars and pictures of cars they see in their area and plan to steal, etc. Its disgusting and disgraceful that people are expected to put up with this because the government will not put them in jail.

What can be done to get jail sentences increased to what they should be, do we need to make noise, stir up a fuss with the government or political parties to get this topic the attention it needs. Do young people need to get involved in their local party and get voting on a review of the justice system in this country, if the majority of the people in this country want jail sentences for joy-riding increased; does this mean there should be a vote on how long sentences should be and let the people vote what is an appropriate sentence?

Please discuss! frown.gifmad.giffrown.giffrown.giffrown.gif

The Jails are full ..

We should take one of the islands off the west coast and turn it into a prison colony :D ....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

craichoe wrote: »
    The Jails are full ..

We should take one of the islands off the west coast and turn it into a prison colony :D ....

Achill Jail; didn't they try that once with Irelands answer to Alcatraz, Spike Island?

How about "get convicted of a crime like this and lose dole for 2 years" Then fit them with one of those tracker anklets so that if they go more than 100 metres from their houses they get zapped. And if it's a juvenile, then do it to the parents, too. How do they afford to eat? They should have thought about that first.

Personally, I'm for prison reform. Anyone with a sentence over 2 years gets put on a chain gang. These gangs are hired out to corporations and county councils to build roads, dig ditches, pick up rubbish, clean off graffiti, etc. The prisons charge €5 per hour per man, which goes toward their upkeep, thus taking some of the burden off the taxpayer (the taxpayer will still be paying, but will see something for their money). At the same time take away the TVs, DVD, phones, and other luxuries that everyone else has to work hard for.

It may even make some of them avail of any educational opportunities whilst incarcerated.

Maybe that would make some of these scrotes reconsider reoffending when they're released.

Unfortunately, in our "liberal" society, criminals have more rights than anyone else, so it'll never happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Fey! wrote:
    How about "get convicted of a crime like this and lose dole for 2 years" Then fit them with one of those tracker anklets so that if they go more than 100 metres from their houses they get zapped. And if it's a juvenile, then do it to the parents, too. How do they afford to eat? They should have thought about that first

Heh reminds me of Battle Royale, which wouldn't be a bad idea actually.

Think of the viewing figures and the revenue from that. I know I'd watch it. Premium content for a fee even?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

I think vigilantism is the only solution. Nothing that a good ol' baseball bat and a Transit van won't fix...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

stuff that, get yer own island - don't be shipping the dregs over here. How about Bull Island ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

esel wrote: »
    No. Not even if you fix the mega-wide problem.
    Real Mature. FFS the guy has a legitimate discussion topic, why do you feel the need to ruin this thread?

OP I totally agree. Unfortunately I think that the problem lies within the overall ingrained attitude of youths in underprivileged areas, and there is no real magic solution. As others have said prisons are already full, and a recent report says that the average inmate in Mountjoy is on his 6th visit so it is not exactly scaring them...

Perhaps a curfue or tagging might work, but really it should be parents who are making sure their kids are not growing up destined to be criminals..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

keefg wrote: »
    I think you are getting ahead of yourself OP. The first problem is catching these feckers and there are no where near enough resources available for this. Our new Garda Traffic Corps are too busy hiding in bushes trying to catch commuters driving at 5 kms over the speed limit or keeping the governments purse full of VRT dodgers money

i couldnt agree more. yet again our brave traffic corp were harrassing commuters in their leather bound uniforms at whites cross on the stillorgan dueller y'day. get a life lads. your so brave attacking us if we dip a tyre into a bus lane. As norm folk we are easy pickings....

Further I was on my bike the other day at d brook.....a women with a kid on a bike passed me, broke numerous red lights. I looked at a cop car (traffic) pointing to how dangerous this lady was....they shrugged their shoulders....i really give up with these as such officers of the law.

Fair play though to the night cops on the M50, (real gardai)..they had a van across the M50 at 2pm this morn at firhouse doing scanger checks. This is real policing....looking for the bad guys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

It's about responsibility & accountibility, whilst these scumbags are 'juvenille' in the eyes of the courts their parents shount be held fully accountable and responsible for their actions.

Removal/reduction of social welfare payments would be a good start, you can be sure scoby Dad would turn his anger and temper to scoby child a bit more if his free drinking money was threatened.

I don't buy the lack of resources bull excuse either, it's become a get out of jail (excuse the pun) mantra for every Guard that doesn't want to do the hard part of their job. I have witnessed this first hand many times, they sit in the car parks of middle class pubs for 45 minutes on a Saturday night instead of going and doing the rounds of the areas that get terrorised by scumbags on a nightly basis.

Bearcat wrote: »

Further I was on my bike the other day at d brook.....a women with a kid on a bike passed me, broke numerous red lights. I looked at a cop car (traffic) pointing to how dangerous this lady was....they shrugged their shoulders....i really give up with these as such officers of the law.

Report it

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Fey! wrote: »
    Achill Jail; didn't they try that once with Irelands answer to Alcatraz, Spike Island?

How about "get convicted of a crime like this and lose dole for 2 years" Then fit them with one of those tracker anklets so that if they go more than 100 metres from their houses they get zapped. And if it's a juvenile, then do it to the parents, too. How do they afford to eat? They should have thought about that first.

Personally, I'm for prison reform. Anyone with a sentence over 2 years gets put on a chain gang. These gangs are hired out to corporations and county councils to build roads, dig ditches, pick up rubbish, clean off graffiti, etc. The prisons charge €5 per hour per man, which goes toward their upkeep, thus taking some of the burden off the taxpayer (the taxpayer will still be paying, but will see something for their money). At the same time take away the TVs, DVD, phones, and other luxuries that everyone else has to work hard for.

It may even make some of them avail of any educational opportunities whilst incarcerated.

Maybe that would make some of these scrotes reconsider reoffending when they're released.

Unfortunately, in our "liberal" society, criminals have more rights than anyone else, so it'll never happen.

I really wish those kind of ideas would work but you know that if your typical mála scummalach has their dole taken away and they need money, they will just steal it (possibly causing much more violent crimes). And the chain gang idea sounds great but if you give a company the choice between a bunch of hard working law abiding workers to build a road at minimum wage+ or a bunch of forced labour guys who will only cost 5 squid an hour, you know who they would go with. The prospect of one Joseph Soap losing out on a job because the government undercut them with their prisoners in orange jumpsuits would put me off the idea.

Soylent Green ftw :D

Report it

I value my life.

I could'nt believe it. I followed this women 35ish as we were going the same way from Lepordstown to Donnybrook on push bikes. She broke every friggin light on her bike with a kid on the rear.She looked well to do, helmuts, yellow bibs the works......and then breaks all the traffic lights.

Cops saw her and did nothing...I mean sweet f all even when I pointed her out to them. Shrugged their shoulders, yes shrugged them.

I did'nt give a toss if this lady was wiped out but there was a 3-4 yr old kid on that bike whose life was endangered. If I was a cop I would have confiscated her bike and thrown the book at her for blatent disregard for her kid and other road users. She went around traffic at D Brook bus station...just mossied on as traffic beeped her.

But alas, if I was driving my 930 and a glimmer of low profile shadowed a bus lane on that route...well I'd be 2 points the poorer.

Point taken?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

Heres the lad who posted the video. Nice of him to leave a big pic of himself.

http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=4386384577
    http://www.bebo.com/PhotoAlbumBig.jsp?MemberId=4386384577&PhotoNbr=1&PhotoAlbumId=6633546405

This is why i had an alarm and a kill switch to on the fuel pump that had an output to the horn if it was off. I can show anyone how to do this if they want.

Waste of a car that it looked like someone actually loved.

Edit:
    The above has been sent to the guards. But itll prob be a waste of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭RiverWilde

A major part of the problem ... deprivation and drugs etc aside ... is the sentencing in this country. Our gaols are overrun ... so prisoners do not serve their full terms and get early release etc. I think it's daft that you can be put in gaol for not paying your esb bill and at the same time some git gets out on good behaviour and is free to offend again. If the judge hands down a sentence of 10 years it should be 10 years not 4.5 with the rest suspended! If Joe Gob****e knew before he got into the car that the next ten years of his life could be spent in the Joy or some other hole in the ground he just might decide against it.

Riv

• Registered Users Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Absolute pricks, love to introduce them to the business end of my Brno.

This is how it ended anyway 5037514268a7174040282l.jpg

Bearcat wrote: »
    I value my life.

I could'nt believe it. I followed this women 35ish as we were going the same way from Lepordstown to Donnybrook on push bikes. She broke every friggin light on her bike with a kid on the rear.She looked well to do, helmuts, yellow bibs the works......and then breaks all the traffic lights.

Cops saw her and did nothing...I mean sweet f all even when I pointed her out to them. Shrugged their shoulders, yes shrugged them.

I did'nt give a toss if this lady was wiped out but there was a 3-4 yr old kid on that bike whose life was endangered. If I was a cop I would have confiscated her bike and thrown the book at her for blatent disregard for her kid and other road users. She went around traffic at D Brook bus station...just mossied on as traffic beeped her.

But alas, if I was driving my 930 and a glimmer of low profile shadowed a bus lane on that route...well I'd be 2 points the poorer.

Point taken?

No, report the Gardai for not doing their job, if they dont know about it they cant fix it.

www.gardaombudsman.ie

Next time you see something like that you should take the car number and the time of the incident.

point taken...i was just stunned and i've been around a while of (a) the cyclist and (b) the shrugged shoulders.

IMO if one reports a garda they can make your life miserable no matter who you are so I just stay well clear of them.

With the shoe on the other foot, their own internal watch dog is a nasty piece of kit WRT to dealing with internal events. ie when a member passed away (self inflicted)in Harcourt St and the latest motor cycle accident by an off duty cop RIP. Their dealings with members families are reported to be very insensitive...all reported in press recently.

Contempt breeds contempt and feeds down through the system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 StartlingElf

Fey! wrote: »

I agree with most of the above but leave Achill out of it Fey!

We're an angry bunch!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Its rediculus that they are just probably going to get away with it, The guards better do something about this.

I wonder how these kids are brought up by their crap parents that they go out and rob cars. Disgrace, put the parents in jail too to make them see they should be looking after their kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

Just had my mx5 broken into two weeks ago. Smashed a window and tried to hot wire it. The horn wire got trapped behind the steering column and the sound of it going off made the neighbours come out. They chased the scumbags away. I had'nt the alarm switched on but they would'nt have started it anyway because the'res a kill switch which I doubt they would have found.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

This problem dosen't really make headlines any more, like it did in the 80's. Even then the publicity did nothing to stop it.

As many have posted here, there is no gain for the state coffers in taking these scumbags off the streets, so the state will not invest any money / resources to takle the problem.

The state / gardai would rather do ordinary people for speeding and the like than risk taking on issue's like this.

Doing a stretch to these scumbags is like a badge of honour, as for their parents, they don't care what their kids get up to, they only had them to get more children's allowence and dole money.

Personally I would be in favour of them being used as target practice for Army snipers. Reality TV would never be so good.

The reason they are stealing older jap cars these day's is because they are easy to break into and start, unlike most modern european car's.

My bike got stolen 4 years ago, luckily the starter was knackered and i was awaiting parts for it, the garda caught them trying to push start it down the road. I thought .. great !

Result ? No .. They gardai didnt press charges for the theft as they wanted to get them for drug charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

The Jails are full ..

Totally agree about the west coast, but let's not bother with the island:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Vid deleted.

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

ART6 wrote: »
    Totally agree about the west coast, but let's not bother with the island:rolleyes:
    Why ship scumbags across the republic? Best if the criminals stay in the east. I'm sure you can fence Finglas off and stick them in there, if they're not from there to start with.

I'd suggest to ship them off to the British army.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

What? Then they come back stronger and fitter and like Grant Mitchell? :eek:

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

Lads, don't get into a slagging match about east and west. It's bad enough that they are putting the new prison between Finglas and Ashbourne, eventhough I'm from Dublin, quite close to Finglas actually, I wouldn't spoil the west of Ireland by sending the unwanted scumbags from elsewhere in the country to the west, anyhow they already have Castlerea prision.

As I said earlier let the army use them for target practice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I was delighted when the guards rang me the other day to say that the strung out cnut who broke into my car is going to get about 5 years. :D:D:D

He was connected to a string of other robberies by the fingerprints taken from my car.

I would honestly love to be able pay some kind of one off tax to get 5 minutes alone in a room with him that has no cameras. Few of the girls in college can't figure out why I'm happy that some drugged up pr!ck is gonna spend the next 5 years in jail but I think anyone here that has had property stolen or their car broken into will understand.

Advertisement