Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL 12Mb package

Options
  • 24-04-2008 7:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

I just got the NTL Ultra (12mb) package and using my iMac I get 11750+kb/sec on speedtest.net which is great. However, when I disconnect the iMac and plug in my Dell D420 laptop using a wired connection to the modem, I only get 1500kb/sec. I dont understand why different machines would get such different speeds on the same connection. Any ideas? Is it something to do with the network card?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Try an FTP download to rule out the NIC - HEA is probably best. failing that, restart the modem before unplugging from your MAC and connecting your Dell.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

are you using a wired connection for the iMac? Do you have any speed throttling software installed on the DELL, or do you have anything torrent applications open?

try updating the NIC drivers:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?os=WW1&osl=EN&catid=5&impid=-1&servicetag=&SystemID=LAT_PNT_PM_D420&hidos=WW1&hidlang=en

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Check auto-negotiation speed/duplex settings on the network card along with the above mentioned advice. It's usually best to manually set it to 100Mbit Full Duplex.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭carrollf

Thanks for the tips. It is a work laptop I have so I wonder if they (for some reason) purposely slow down the traffic - is this something that corporations would do normally?

How would I check for any throttling software?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

carrollf wrote: »
    Thanks for the tips. It is a work laptop I have so I wonder if they (for some reason) purposely slow down the traffic - is this something that corporations would do normally?

How would I check for any throttling software?

Yes they would we do it in our place stop the users from leeching all our bandwidth, it can be done in several ways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

It's pretty damned unlikely that there's any software installed by your work which would limit speeds, anything like that would be done on the network side. Give the above stuff a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭ZygOte

Moriarty wrote: »
    It's pretty damned unlikely that there's any software installed by your work which would limit speeds, anything like that would be done on the network side. Give the above stuff a try.

+1 it would be insane to for any business to place throttling software locally on a work machine. this stuff is always done at the gateway.

Advertisement