Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

helicopters over clane

• 24-04-2008 8:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭

Whats the story with the low flying helicopters and planes over clane? The bleedin noise of them! surly this is noise pollution? Where are they going to/from? what can be done about it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭barryfitz

Probably something to do with punchestown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 r22

Punchestown is the reason it's so busy this week.
    The other reason that Clane gets so much traffic generally is that if you are flying from the south city to either Weston or to the north generally, you need to avoid Baldonnel's military airspace. Mil ATC usually route you via Clane to achieve this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Yeah, +1 to punchestown, I remember as a kid in clane seeing all the helicopters going over at punchestown weekend, and watching out for the big green one that had Charlie Haughey in it :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

A neighbour of mine bought himself a helicopter recently. If you think they are loud flying overhead, try being around when they are landing and taking off. :mad:

Does anyone know is there any regulations about this? Can anyone buy a helicopter and just land and take off where ever and when ever they want? There was one day recently when he spent the whole day just taking off and landing, it nearly did my head in.

A nice way to beat the traffic but a bloody nuisance to everyone around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭granturismo

squire1 wrote: »
    Does anyone know is there any regulations about this? Can anyone buy a helicopter and just land and take off where ever and when ever they want? There was one day recently when he spent the whole day just taking off and landing, it nearly did my head in.

I seem to remember from newspaper articles discussing the rise in helicopter ownership that once/twice off landing/take off doesnt require any regulation but otherwise planning permission is needed and this case may constitute 'an unauthorised development'.

There may have been an application for a landing pad in a private dwelling near Dublin bay which was refused because of neighbours and the proximity of nesting birds??

Maybe the biannual National 'Hold a kite flying contest in your local village' needs to coincide with the Curragh Derby and Punchestown Festival. I've heard that an estate close to a Kildare County facility were told by Gardai not to fly kites as a protest against low flying and increased flights over their houses.

• Advertisement

Unauthorised development does not seem to bother this guy. Without going into specifics, this guy has been on the wrong side of planning issues before and has come out smelling of roses. He is a big player in business in Kildare and the county council are afrid of their shi*e of him for some reason. Money talks.

I was wondering more so on the aviation regulations side of things. You don't have to log flight plans for helicopters do you? Do you have to get permission from the Aviation Authority (or whoever) to build or use a landing pad?

I think I heard somewhere that Ireland has more helicopters per capita than any other country but that may be bullsh*t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭granturismo

squire1 wrote: »
    I think I heard somewhere that Ireland has more helicopters per capita than any other country but that may be bullsh*t.

Probably true - there's more space to land in K4 than D4. I think KCC's attitude in the planning section has changed in the last few years so they would be worth a try.

http://www.iaa.ie/safe_reg/default.asp
    http://www.iaa.ie/safe_reg/pdf/aerodrome/oam_08-00_heli_site_guidelines.pdf

From the 2nd link: However, it should be clearly understood that the IAA has no direct responsibility for the control of helicopter noise disturbance or nuisance. Complainants have access to the EPA Act 1992, Noise Regulations 1994 (as amended) through the Dept. of the Environment.

stek wrote: »
    Whats the story with the low flying helicopters and planes over clane? ... surly this is noise pollution? Where are they going to/from? what can be done about it?

An in-law took some helicopter lessons and told me they use the church spire in St Pats Maynooth, the Liffey (which is why so many fly over Clane and Sallins en route to Punchestown & Curragh) and Hill of Allen as some of their reference points.

Looks like binoculars will be needed to get the reg of the helicopter to report it to the EPA.

I still think that the IAA should be responsible for low flying aircraft and should take some responsibility.

Thanks for the links. I'll have a read.

Advertisement