Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What job should your man do?

Options
  • 24-04-2008 9:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

My ma has been trying to talk me into a farmer "get a bit of land, sure that's money in the bank, etc", I think I'd like a fireman (who wouldn't :p), but I'll probably end up with some office type or civil Sevant from work or something.

do you ladys have a preffered job for your partner to do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭hotredhead

My husband is in the construction industry and that suits me down to the ground.No shirts to iron ..ever!!I like that jeans and t-shirt look though.All the same I can see where you are coming from with that fireman!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

A fireman ?
    Someone who works all sorts of shifts, has a high risk of injury and depression.

Personally I think that thinking in such away to be a bit daft and would be more of the mindset that who a person is is more important then what they do and as along as it intrestest them and they are following thier passion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Tails142

spot the lesbian

Tails142 wrote: »
    spot the lesbian

It that pithy remark directed at me ?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

spot the lesbian

Not even 10am and the trolls are out. Must be the good weather. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Thaedydal wrote: »
    A fireman ?
    Someone who works all sorts of shifts, has a high risk of injury and depression.
    not to mention the amount of stinking dirty laundry that comes home .... I wouldn't swap him for the world though :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Yay, troll time!

I think the ideal job would be one where he din't have to go to work much but earned good money. That way he could spend his days buying me presents and cleaning and cooking!

Nah, I just think it's important for your OH to enjoy his job. Not enjoying something you have to do 8 hours a day and 5 days a week can really affect your mental stability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

hotredhead wrote: »
    All the same I can see where you are coming from with that fireman!!
    Me thinks it has been a while since you guys have seen an actual Fireman as opposed to a fireman on tv. :D
    spot the lesbian

Run spot run?

See spot run?

See spot have consensual sex with another female dog?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

its only a jokey thread no need to be overly serious about this. As a young teenager you might have thought of the guy you'd end up with.
    I always seem to go for guys who are very creative. I can never see myself with an accountant or businessman for example but thats just because i'd find what they do boring. I not too keen on money, besides that im set to earn my own. I wouldnt mind what his job was as long as he could talk to me about it, worked hard and enjoyed himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

My boyfriend is a Farmer...
    I love it, it can be hard at times, during the calving season (which is nearly done) and not having any real hoildays is tough, like if we go anywhere on like a sunday we have to be back by 6 so he can milk the cows..
    but apart from all that i love it, i love his dirty wellies!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

if I had to choose it would be something in comics or animation as thats what I work as. I use to say I'd never date an animator as all we'd talk about is animation and be bored to tears after a time but my last boyfriend was an animator and it was really nice not having to explain what I do for a living all the time and I actually spent less time taking about animation as I didn't need to explain any of the tech stuff so work related conversations ended being alot shorter.

Dragan wrote: »
    Run spot run?

See spot run?

See spot have consensual sex with another female dog?

Bless you Dragon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

i never had a preference when i was younger. but i love intellegent men. my O/H is an engineer where he just wears anything to work. doesn't wear the whole suit thing but good help him if he ever had to. i just love men in suits. nothing more sexier on a man.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

spot the lesbian

Spot the troll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭ozchick

My ma has been trying to talk me into a farmer "get a bit of land, sure that's money in the bank, etc", I think I'd like a fireman (who wouldn't :p), but I'll probably end up with some office type or civil Sevant from work or something.

kill spiders and rodents around the house :p

Dragan wrote: »
    Me thinks it has been a while since you guys have seen an actual Fireman as opposed to a fireman on tv. :D

Ah but we can dream...................

• Registered Users Posts: 24,217 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I always fancied a girlfriend who was a music photographer so I could go to lots of gigs with her and I tend to like artistic types (the other half designs tattoos).

Glad I'm not defined by career though, can't imagine too many wimins looking for software consultants!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

I suppose someone that worked with animals so maybe a Vet but then again their hours are horrible and it's a hard, tiring job so maybe not. Anyway my boyfriend wears a suit to work so that keeps me more than happy, yum! :D

Sleepy wrote: »
    I always fancied a girlfriend who was a music photographer so I could go to lots of gigs with her and I tend to like artistic types (the other half designs tattoos).

Glad I'm not defined by career though, can't imagine too many wimins looking for software consultants!
    It's all tongue in cheek really,I'd be happy with whatever job my OH did as long as he comes home after work...and ironed his own shirts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

It's all tongue in cheek really,I'd be happy with whatever job my OH did as long as he comes home after work...and ironed his own shirts!

I know those words are english, but I have no idea what they mean!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I know those words are english, but I have no idea what they mean!

It's ok Brother SloMo,ignore the bad words, back to the bar. :)

My software consultyness is off set by my sensitive musicianshipness, ladies seem to like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

I quite like living with a shift worker. It means I get 1-2 nights a week home alone to relax or catch up on stuff or cover myself in mudpacks with rollers in and wax my legs and noone to laugh at me! It's also incredibly useful that he can do all those 9-5 jobs I used to have to take time off ok for (e.g. collecting parcels from the post office).

I must subconsciously have a thing about uniforms though. Last three bf's have been a fireman, a pilot and a garda.

Seriously though, so long as he is happy at work and not too stressed by it I honestly couldn't care what job a partner has.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭aye

Clare Bear wrote: »
    Anyway my boyfriend wears a suit to work so that keeps me more than happy, yum! :D

i should start wearing suits to work :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

As long as he makes loads of money and doesnt work unsociable hours and has his weekends free for me I dont mind what he does.:D

Thaedydal wrote: »
    as along as it intrestest them and they are following thier passion.

No No No!
    My ideal mans passion is going to be me and our family.
    I've had it up to my ears with men who think the world revolves about their job, hobby and/or mission to save the world.

A uniform would nice though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

I LOVE builder types/tradesmen, especially in the summer grubby jeans and t shirts, strong bodies, farmers tans, working outdoors and with their hands :D Ooh delicious!

Also like truckers, real truckers that love their job, not people who drive trucks for a living - there is a difference :) (Or so my Trucker BF tells me)

Oh and leave it all to if either of the above had Nordie accents... I think my knickers would definatly melt! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

I must subconsciously have a thing about uniforms though. Last three bf's have been a fireman, a pilot and a garda.

Been there, don't have the t-shirt as it was "government property, so, no, you can't keep it, give it back, oh, there goes the phone, duty calls, byeeee". :)

I think a uniform can symbolise capability, responsibility and maturity. Also, there is the hero aspect, i might have been guilty of a few 'knight in shining armour rescuing me' day dreams as a young teenager :o.

But, i'm with Moonbaby on this one:
    I've had it up to my ears with men who think the world revolves about their job, hobby and/or mission to save the world.

I do like techy/logically minded men, basically anyone with a thing for problem solving will appeal to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

oops, double post. mea culpa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Crazy Catlady

Once he's not married to his job and can switch off and relax at the end of the day I'm happy. Nothing more unattractive to me than career obsession

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

My husband is in the construction industry and that suits me down to the ground.No shirts to iron ..ever!!I like that jeans and t-shirt look though.All the same I can see where you are coming from with that fireman!!

My bf is doing construction in college at the moment & works on a building site part time/summer/ etc

There is something incredibly sexy about him coming home from work in filthy jeans & covered in dirt & sweat. its insane, if youd told me a few yrs ago id find that hot id tell you you were mental.

Advertisement