Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Software as a service

Options
  • 24-04-2008 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

This seems to be in the news a lot, however i'm not sure if Ireland has the reliable broadband speeds capable of supporting companies looking to change to fully online large enterprise system like say Salesforce or Netsuite...especially if the data centres are in the America!

Anyone have any ideas on 'the future of software'?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭micdug

SAS is flavour of the month alright. If you have broadband or 3G I can't see you would have any problem using hosted software. If you had a larger number of people (>10) using SAS from an single location you would need to be looking at leased lines with proper Quality of Service agreements in place and appropriate business continuity processes in place (telecoms). To my mind the biggest things holding back SAS are:
    1. Data security - and by that I mean everything including what happens if the service provider folds, if I want to migrate to a different supplier (how helpful will they be giving my data back?), etc etc.
    2. Legal - are safe harbour agreements in place if you store your data on American servers? http://www.export.gov/safeharbor/sh_overview.html .
    It's an evolving market, but it should be looked at along with traditional on site solutions.

Advertisement