Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stupendous ESB and gas bills

Options
  • 24-04-2008 10:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭

My ESB and gas bills have suddenly topped the €300 mark and are heading towards €400. What on earth is happening? I don't use much of either - less, if anything, than I used to.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Youll need to compare old and new bills like for like. Check the units used and the price charged. Also see if any of them are estimated bills. If the older ones were, you may have been undercharged for a bit, if the new ones are, they may be overestimating your usage.

No easy answer but a bit of homework!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

I rang and was told my usage hadn't risen - so it's just the prices!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

luckat wrote: »

How big is your house? are there lots of appliances that are constantly being used? is there many in your house?

I ask cos our esb bills are regularly €300 and that's only 3 of us! it's a bloody rip off! :mad: It'll never change though as long as the fecks have no competition....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

How big is your house? are there lots of appliances that are constantly being used? is there many in your house?

I ask cos our esb bills are regularly €300 and that's only 3 of us! it's a bloody rip off! :mad: It'll never change though as long as the fecks have no competition....

Solar panels?

wyndham wrote: »
    Solar panels?

Are they actually any good for anything more than an electric whisk though?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Hey Hey ..

Come on now, the ESB is one of the cheapest suppliers in Europe !

Ive moved to Holland and its twice the price here with any energy company.

Enjoy the low prices!!

craichoe wrote: »
    Hey Hey ..

Come on now, the ESB is one of the cheapest suppliers in Europe !

Ive moved to Holland and its twice the price here with any energy company.

Enjoy the low prices!!

Right well i'm from England where it's probably a third the price, you have legal pot there so it balances out! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Right well i'm from England where it's probably a third the price, you have legal pot there so it balances out! ;)

Pot isn't legal .. its just not legal or illegal ;)

Were i live actually has the largest amount of coffee shops per head of population :D

Crazy thing is with the smoking ban in june, you can smoke weed inside but if you want to have a cigarette you'll have to go outside !!

craichoe wrote: »
    you can smoke weed inside but if you want to have a cigarette you'll have to go outside !!

Gees, that is a bit mental! I don't smoke fags though so that's fine by me! (i use other things instead of tobacco!) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

My last gas bill was €334 and the one before that which I thought was bad was €291. We're not here all day -only from about 3.30 and I'm sparing enough with the gas. The bills weren't estimated either so I don't know what's happening. Some of my neighbours have had the same complaint. ESB is €150 plus no matter what I do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Electric

Are you using anything energy intensive like a tumble dryer or storage heaters? Cos they wreck havoc with your ESB!

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Shifty

Same problem here of late the gas & esb bills have been very large with no real usage change.

I think the time has come for monthly billing as opposed to Bi - monthly billing. The bills are so big now that if you dont pay one bill you owe hundreds of euro by the next bill.

Bi- monthly billing doesn't benefit me in any way. I just end up with esb & gas bills arriving within a short timeframe of each other and owe in the region of €600 on both clear bills.

Monthly billing would help ease the burden. I would owe an average of €300 per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

My second last ESB bill was €183 €70 more thasn normal??? then this months same usage to my knowledge and no new appliance and its down half to €93 ???

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

BingoBongo wrote: »
    My second last ESB bill was €183 €70 more thasn normal??? then this months same usage to my knowledge and no new appliance and its down half to €93 ???

estimated? 'e' after the reading?
    Shifty,,, Monthly billing would help ease the burden. I would owe an average of €300 per month.

Ask to change to monthly bills. Submit the reading online or phone 2 days before bill issue date to get a corrected reading very month

It's true, I do use a tumble dryer when it's rainy, though not in good weather. And I have an electric washing machine, fridge and chest freezer.

I have an immersion of a factory type that was in the house when I bought it - this has thick polystyrene lagging on it; I turn it on for a couple of hours each morning. (I'm thinking of getting a better shower put in - the current one gives lots of exercise as you leap in and out shrieking and trying to adjust the heat.)

I don't have a TV; I have a new oven that's a lot more efficient than the old one and takes a shorter time to cook, but most of the time I cook on gas. The computer's a laptop.

Most of the lights have green bulbs, though I do have an uplighter and a couple of halogen lamps.

It just seems kind of stratospheric for the amount of use I have.

Incidentally, I was talking to a friend who got *vacuum tube* solar panels last year, and said that the ESB bills had gone down by a third, as well as the house heating bills, since the solar panels also add heat to the radiator water.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I have an immersion of a factory type that was in the house when I bought it - this has thick polystyrene lagging on it; I turn it on for a couple of hours each morning. (I'm thinking of getting a better shower put in - the current one gives lots of exercise as you leap in and out shrieking and trying to adjust the heat

A couple of hours each morning?! That's probably half the bill there.

The tumble dryer just eats euro.
    What type of heating do you use to heat the house?

No, no, it's the (heavily lagged) immersion that's on every morning, not the tumble dryer!

Gas central heating - I have to get a guy to come along and service the radiators, which are surely sludgy at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

snubbleste wrote: »
    The tumble dryer just eats euro.
    I hear that a lot, but I don't believe it, unless you're running it two or three times a day. We have the dryer going about 3-4 times a week, 3 adults in the house. ESB averages €120-150 every two months.
    No, no, it's the (heavily lagged) immersion that's on every morning, not the tumble dryer!

I think that's what he was referring to. 2 hours is madness though. 15-20 minutes should be enough to heat water for a shower, switch it to sink and not bath too.

To save on ESB, switch all your bulbs to CFL, switch off TVs at night (or during the day if there's no one around), don't leave them on standby. If you have a computer, switch off the monitor when it's not in use. I always notice that most people just let it go into standby when the computer is off, but they don't actually turn off the monitor. Don't have lights on all around the house.

Seems simple enough, but since I've been doing this my ESB bills have kept reasonable. Have the gas on for about 5-6 hours in a day during winter months, less in summer, just to keep water hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

www.powerofone.ie is an interesting site:

top tips
    Using energy more efficiently in your daily life comes easily once you get started. This site lists many ways to save energy around the house, at work and on the road. Here, we list the overall top ten:

-Unplug your phone charger - equipment on stand-by uses up to 20% of the energy it would use when fully on.
    -Walk or cycle instead of driving for short journeys - it costs nothing and is good for you.
    -Turn your heating down to a comfortable 20ºC - lowering your thermostat by 1ºC will knock 10% off your heating bill.
    -Buy 'A' rated kitchen appliances - they cost less to run and over time will give you considerable savings on your electricity bill.
    -Use compact fluorescent lamps (CFLs) instead of traditional bulbs - they use 20% of the energy and last up to 15 times as long.
    -Wait for the dishwasher to be full before you switch it on - a half full one uses the same energy as a full one.
    -Switch off lights when you leave a room - energy is wasted lighting unoccupied rooms.
    -Don't overfill your kettle - only boil as much water as you need.
    -Check your tyre pressure - a car with correctly inflated tyres is more fuel efficient.
    -Avoid unnecessary electricity use between 5pm and 7pm - help reduce national CO2 emissions.

*I don't have a TV*. So telling me not to leave it on standby is pointless!

I don't have a dishwasher.

I do take baths rather than showers. I like baths.

Cycling doesn't help my ESB bills, though I do cycle.

All my bulbs except for two are the green kind.

From what is said here, the immersion and my very limited use of the tumble dryer are supposedly to blame for the huge ESB bill. I was told by several plumbers that the immersion was so lagged and such a fancy (factory) type that I could leave it on all day without building up a large bill.

It is, as the nuns used to say, a mystery.

• Advertisement

I was told by several plumbers that the immersion was so lagged and such a fancy (factory) type that I could leave it on all day without building up a large bill.

It is, as the nuns used to say, a mystery.

would love to see this proved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I just got my gas bill which has jumped quite a bit. Its €320 when it used to be €230 max. I dont understand how the usage has gone up. Its not as cold now as it was in Dec and Jan so the heating isnt on half as much.

You should actually compare the bills and look at the amount of units used and not the price. This is the proper way to tell if you are using more or less not by the price

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

From what is said here, the immersion and my very limited use of the tumble dryer are supposedly to blame for the huge ESB bill. I was told by several plumbers that the immersion was so lagged and such a fancy (factory) type that I could leave it on all day without building up a large bill.

Personally I wouldn't believe that.

A well-insulated immersion tank will retain heat once heated. However you have to heat it in the first place. If your tank is set to "bath" rather than sink, then you are heating the whole tank, which is quite frankly just daft, especially if it is every day.

Turn it to "sink", and turn on immersion for about 20-30 mins to have more than enough hot water for a shower. (You might like baths, but they are less ecological and appear to be costing you money).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I've heard from a few people around that their bills have jumped suddenly. Ours did too. Not entirely sure why either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,161 ✭✭✭rameire

www.change.ie
    my lecci and gas bills have jumped too, its due to the restructuring of the charges i thought.
    there is a calc on the above site which tells you how much appliances cost you to run and you can add all your appliances together, to see your bi monthly cost,
    one i wasnt expecting was american fridges cost about 18 euro ever two months compared to a normal fridge freezer which costs acbout 12 euro

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭hairymolly

davton ESB do not supply monthly bills to residental users only to business users!!!! Dont know why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

dudara wrote: »
    Turn it to "sink", and turn on immersion for about 20-30 mins to have more than enough hot water for a shower. (You might like baths, but they are less ecological and appear to be costing you money).

Also putting a timer in really helps things.

The pre-insulated cylinders still have a certain amount of heatloss ,leaving the immersion on all the time ,will feed the loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I was told by several plumbers that the immersion was so lagged and such a fancy (factory) type that I could leave it on all day without building up a large bill.

WHAT? Are you sure they were qualified plumbers? It costs a lot to heat water using the immersion and there is just no need to have it on for hours every day. You only need it to be on for maybe 20-30 minutes a day to have enough hot water for 2-3 people to have showers.

From personal experience, having the immersion on for extended periods every day, and using the tumble dryer (especially during the day time) are what run up your ESB bill.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Theres always the story that a very insulated cylinder wono't lose heat for a very long time, so it won't need to be heated up as much heating it from cold. I don't believe it myself. All day is a long time for it to cool.

Advertisement