Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stupendous ESB and gas bills

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

BostonB wrote: »
    Theres always the story that a very insulated cylinder wono't lose heat for a very long time, so it won't need to be heated up as much heating it from cold. I don't believe it myself. All day is a long time for it to cool.

Bostonb ,they are very economical compared to standard cylinders.
    But there is definetly heat loss ,a saying comes to mind.
    "Use it ,don't abuse it":)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Anyone know how much it costs to run a PC non-stop for 24 hours, with the monitor on for about 14 of those?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Anyone know how much it costs to run a PC non-stop for 24 hours, with the monitor on for about 14 of those?

According to the esb calculator, that'll cost about €30 per 2 month period (that's constantly on with a 15 inch flat panel monitor! CRT monitor is a little more)

Here's a handy link to work out that kinda stuff

http://www.esb.ie/main/energy_home/appliance_calculator.jsp

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

hairymolly wrote: »
    ESB do not supply monthly bills to residental users only to business users!!!! Dont know why.

Even if you explain that it is causing you problems paying Bi-monthly? I taught they were quite understanding for these type of matters?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭june92

Esb have never and will never provide monthly bills, Meter reading practice in Europe states that meters are to be read 4 times a year and estimated twice.

As for the monthly bills for businesses, these are called partial bills and are estimated. What happens is the same as a domestic bill (meter read 4 times est twice) but for the month in between reaidngs esb estimate what it is, So if you have an average bill of 5000 eur in a business, then esb will post out a bill for the month for 2000- 2500 eur.

If anyone has high bills then its mainly for people leaving appliances on standby, If you tv is on standby it uses 20% elec and if its off but the plug is still on (you know red switch on wall) then thats also using 20%.

Outside underfloor heating the immersion is the most expensve item in the house it uses 3 units for half hour, after that it's electric shower then plug in heaters. Anything that has to conduct heat is expensive.

Storage heaters aren't as bad as everyone says, your actually charged half price if you use you heaters between 12am and 9 am (If you have a dual tarriff meter installed, any elec used between 12 and 9 is charged at 7c per unit, it is also free to install)

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Please provide links to your assertions...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭ixtlan

june92 wrote: »
    If anyone has high bills then its mainly for people leaving appliances on standby, If you tv is on standby it uses 20% elec and if its off but the plug is still on (you know red switch on wall) then thats also using 20%.

Firstly, a red LED on a wall socket does not mean any power of any significance is being used. It's only an indicator of power being available. Yes, it's not zero but it's close.

It's true that in some cases standby usage can be high, but I'd guess the average is a lot lower than 20%. In the case of modern devices it can be about 1% or less.

I have a power wattage meter and have tested most of my devices.

My 32" CRT used 70 watts... my 40" LCD uses about 90 watts. When on standby it uses 1 watt. For the sake of that watt I'm not going to plug it out each night.

My PC uses about 90 watts on, about 10 watts on standby, not so good, but I have to balance that usage against convenience.

I have a DVD recorder that uses 30 watts on and 9 watts on standby. That's unacceptable. I leave that plugged out.

Phone chargers are typically 1 watt. It's true that if left plugged in then only a tiny fraction of the power consumed charges the phone, but it's not a lot.

By all means switch things off, but I worry sometimes that people get too satisfied with these minor savings when the real big gains are from better insulation... in the attic... the cavity walls...double glazing... then after those ... solar heating panels...

Ix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

ixtlan wrote: »
    Firstly, a red LED on a wall socket does not mean any power of any significance is being used. It's only an indicator of power being available. Yes, it's not zero but it's close.

It's true that in some cases standby usage can be high, but I'd guess the average is a lot lower than 20%. In the case of modern devices it can be about 1% or less.

I have a power wattage meter and have tested most of my devices.

My 32" CRT used 70 watts... my 40" LCD uses about 90 watts. When on standby it uses 1 watt. For the sake of that watt I'm not going to plug it out each night.

My PC uses about 90 watts on, about 10 watts on standby, not so good, but I have to balance that usage against convenience.

I have a DVD recorder that uses 30 watts on and 9 watts on standby. That's unacceptable. I leave that plugged out.

Phone chargers are typically 1 watt. It's true that if left plugged in then only a tiny fraction of the power consumed charges the phone, but it's not a lot.

By all means switch things off, but I worry sometimes that people get too satisfied with these minor savings when the real big gains are from better insulation... in the attic... the cavity walls...double glazing... then after those ... solar heating panels...

Ix.

+1

Advertisement