Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letterbox Spam

Options
  • 24-04-2008 11:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭

I know there are regulations in Ireland on unsolicited direct marketing by telephone, fax, automated calling systems, email, SMS and MMS.. but what about the mountains of crap that comes through our letterbox each week... I'm sick of opening the door to find flyers on the mat, which I end up having to pay to recycle... the biggest offenders for me are ;

4 Star & Dominos Pizza
    Bianconni Pizza
    Various other Sligo take aways
    Perlico
    Sky TV
    Trocaire
    Those "charity" bag collections (the bags used to come in handy for rubbish, but now they're mostly stickers)
    Political parties at election time

... is there any regulation on this or any way to stop them (besides nailing the letterbox shut?).

It's bad enough having to recycle paper that I never asked for, but what really bugs me is that most of the time they're left hanging in the letterbox.... a sure sign for burglars that there's no-one at home. And when there's a pile of them inside the door, it's a sure sign that you're away for a few days or on holidays.

Is there a company in Sligo that distributes them (often you get 2 or 3 spams from different businesses at one time) or do the individual companies deliver them themselves?

I've been thinking of contacting each business individually to insists they cease spamming my letterbox, but I'm not even sure they would have to take any note (thus wasting my time even further).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Why not just put a sticker up that says "no leaflets"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Xiney wrote: »

I've tried that & it didn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Its a pain in the arse.. and everywhere at that.. not just sligo. Hell im with Perlico and Sky etc but still get the flyers... because they are being handed out by leaflet companies as opposed perlico etc directly.

If you feel that strongly about it... take it all to a letter box and put return to sender on it. An post will get pretty pissed off if enough people do it and they will probably contact the companies involved. Technically though there is probably a law against putting something other than a letter with stamp into a post box.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

You going for the most threads started record?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

I remember getting a lot of 4 Star Pizza leaflets and I forget who else but I didn't really mind that much. Except we used to get a lot of flyers addressed to the previous residents, that was the annoying thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

Xiney wrote: »

I'm with Starbelgrade here. It pisses me off no end. I'm bombarded daily with this crap coming through my door. They don't even give you bags for clothes any more. You have to use your own!!!!! I know its not a big deal, but its the principal of the thing. If they want us to donate stuff, they should give us the bags for the stuff like they used to do.

They can't even be bothered to put it through the letterbox anymore, they just throw it on to the floor inside the sliding door, and I'm left with a mess inside my door.

What REALLY bugs me, and the post man is guilty of this too. THEY LEAVE MY FECKING GATE OPEN. How hard can it be, if you open it, CLOSE IT!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I found out that you can write to the Irish Direct Marketing Association to have your name & address removed from any companies they work for. However, this applies only for junk mail posted to your house & not hand delivered. Allegedly, there is a form you can download from their website, but I've looked for it & can't find it.

On top of that, a lot of companies worm their way around this, by not using your name, & simply address the junk mail to "the Householder" or "the Resident".

And on top again is An Post, who get paid to throw spam mail thru your letterbox along with your post, without any name & address on it. Nice.

So there's little or nothing you can do about it. My plan however, is to sort & save all the junk email I get or the next 6 months & return them to their companies via their letterboxes.. lets see how 4 Star Pizza like it when they try & open up some morning, but find the door blocked by junk mail.

An another point - a lot of those "charity" clothes collections are in fact, not registered charities at all & there've been a few reported cases of bags being collected, then the best of the stuff being sold off at car boot sales & markets up the north.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

An another point - a lot of those "charity" clothes collections are in fact, not registered charities at all & there've been a few reported cases of bags being collected, then the best of the stuff being sold off at car boot sales & markets up the north.

Hmmm, now why does that not suprise me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

i remember a few years back some twat was going around "collecting clothes for the order of malta" when the idiot just happened to go to the house of one of the senior officers of the order in connacht.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 dingo dog

JIZZLORD wrote: »
    i remember a few years back some twat was going around "collecting clothes for the order of malta" when the idiot just happened to go to the house of one of the senior officers of the order in connacht.

how does that make him a twat???? he was collecting clothes for a charity!!! maybe he was doing it in his own free time!!!:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

dingo dog wrote: »
    how does that make him a twat???? he was collecting clothes for a charity!!! maybe he was doing it in his own free time!!!:mad:

You missed the point dingo dog,he wasn't collecting for charity,he was saying he was collecting clothes for the Order of Malta but then went to the house of the Senior Officer of the Order but he would have known it was all a scam.

Advertisement