Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Recommend me some new shoes!!

Options
  • 24-04-2008 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭

i need to replace the front tyres on my MKV GTi .. has anyone any recommendations ?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Toyo Proxes T1R's

I searched quite a lot before deciding on them. I had Bridgestone Potenza's before and I find the toyo's much better, especially in the wet.

www.eiretyres.com - about €115 each inc delivery for 205/45/17

• Registered Users Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭fletch

I'd recommend Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's. Great in the dry, awesome in the wet. They do wear quite fast though, I've done 12,000miles and they'll all be needing replacing soon (rotated the tyres front to back at 6k)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Autocar did a big comparison on tyres some time back.
    Have a look at their site.

I generally go with what is OEM or already on if I am happy with them, I think car manufacturers tend to spend a bit of time matching up cars with the correct tyres.

If you take a chance and end up with something you dont like your stuck for a while or you'll have to shell out again.

I once had R5 gt turbo I got Goodyear NCT's cheap for - bloody thing tramlined like a Mofo from then on - should have stuck to Michelins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭hebejebees

Something like a Bridgestone ER300 turanza are a great solid tyre in all conditions, i've worked in a tyre centre and its usually the tyre of choice if you ask any of the guys there, wont damage the pocket either

Agree with RobAMerc, the OEM tyre is isually one of the best to go with, a hell of alot of development mileage has been put on the car/tyre combination. The ER300 tends to come on alot of new vehicles

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Goodyear f1s are my vote simply and outstanding tyre,ive had 4 sets now on both a fwd that liked to spin the fronts alot(esp in the wet) and on a 4motion car and the are flawless,told a mate with a MK 5 GTI pushing out 250bhp to try these and he loves them too.

As for manufactureres spending money doing R&D matching up tyres it may be through on serious top end cars like M5s,911s etc and call me cynical if you will but i reckon VW fitted the tyres belonging to the tyre company that greased their palms the most or took the men in charge of such decisions off on fancy golf holidays in saudi arabia and the like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭MarkN

Bridgestone Potenzas if money is not object!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭hebejebees

tossy wrote: »
    As for manufactureres spending money doing R&D matching up tyres it may be through on serious top end cars like M5s,911s etc and call me cynical if you will but i reckon VW fitted the tyres belonging to the tyre company that greased their palms the most or took the men in charge of such decisions off on fancy golf holidays in saudi arabia and the like.

True to a certain extent, but most of the major tyre manufacturers have their own test tracks and facilites where they offer the manufacturer their range of tyres to test around the track on each specific car, up to the car company to pick which model matches the car best. So while the company that offers the best deal, probably wins, the car company still would have a large range to choose from

Advertisement