Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mazda6 or SEAT Toledo/VW Bora??????

Options
  • 24-04-2008 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hey!!

I have found myself in a bit of a predicament and I would appreciate of any of you guys could help out in my decision....

I'm in the market for a new car and had decided to import one from the UK; either a VW Bora (1.9 TDI 130BHP) or a SEAT Toledo (same spec) because basically they are the same car, however the SEAT seems to be slight better value but I suppose on the flip side it depreciates more. I'm looking at a 2004 model btw with between 50 to 60K miles. Having looked into it I reckon the SEAT would be about 12 grand and the BORA would 13 or more, thats including VRT, exhange rates etc...

Now a colleague of mine at work has informed me that he is selling his Mazda6 (2004, 1.8 petrol) which has about 25K miles on it and I know for a fact that the car would be in immaculate condition due to the simple fact that he is so anal. If I can get the Mazda for 12,000 would it be the best option??

I currently have a petrol but I thought with the new motor tax laws coming in I would be better off getting a diesel, not to mention the economy, efficiency and holding the value for eventual re-sell.

Anyways, sorry for the long post but any opions and/or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Kev

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Cork Exile

Hi Ching,

I just bought a 2005 Mazda 6 1.8 with 55000 miles on the clock. I bought from a dealer for 12500 straight cash deal. Great car......so far ;) Very happy with her so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 seataltea

My advice would be to stay away from the Mazda. I have driven all of the above and they are all good cars but the 6 is big, heavy, slow car. As a result of the 6 being heavy & slow you tend to put your foot down this then causes the car to drink petrol. Dont know what the mpg would be but you can rest assured that it will be MUCH better with a diesel regardless of marque.
    If your only looking for a car to transport you from A > B then really you can have your choice of either one but if you want something with a bit of life in it then either Diesel is the way forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭pontovic

Hi,

First thing to do is to check out the following sites for reviews (owner reviews too) of the cars you are looking at. Don't get a Bora. They're nothing special. I had one for a while and it was fit for my needs, but in the end it was very hard to sell. If you wanted to move on you would find it very hard to sell this car and it depreciates very quickly.

http://www.parkers.co.uk
    http://www.whatcar.co.uk
    http://www.honestjohn.co.uk

If you want to check out a car in the UK, have a look at cargiant.co.uk. Be careful independent dealers though, as all the ones I've seen over here are nackers.

If you import a diesel from the UK or anywhere for that matter, you will still be taxed based on the engine size as opposed to the CO2 emissions, however VRT will be based on the emissions.

Do you really need a big car like that ? And for the money you have to spend, you could do alot better than buying a car with 60,000 miles on the clock!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

seataltea wrote: »
    If your only looking for a car to transport you from A > B then really you can have your choice of either one but if you want something with a bit of life in it then either Diesel is the way forward.

Don't know if many here would agree with that diesel comment! The 130bhp VAG engine is very capable though and should be more than adequate.

OP: Its all down to personal preference.

If you look at it this way, you can buy the Mazda, know its history, and have half the mileage on it. You would save yourself the hassle of going across the water, VRTing and NCTing etc, and not knowing as much about it.

I'm just looking on Carzone there and I only spot one 2004 Bora 130bhp and its got 50k miles and its €13999. Is it worth your wile going across the pond?

I have to say my preference of those would be the Bora or the 6. I'd say drive both and see what you prefer. I would personally lean towards the Bora as I prefer the look of them and am a diesel fan.

pontovic wrote: »
    Hi,

Don't get a Bora. They're nothing special. I had one for a while and it was fit for my needs, but in the end it was very hard to sell. If you wanted to move on you would find it very hard to sell this car and it depreciates very quickly.

I don't know if I would agree with that. Perhaps in 1.4 form the Bora isn't as desireable, but the 130bhp 1.9 is a pretty sought after unit and seems to hold its value a little more, shouldnt be too hard to shift. All the young guys I know went looking at Golfs/Boras and focus's for their first cars.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

I don't know if I would agree with that. Perhaps in 1.4 form the Bora isn't as desireable, but the 130bhp 1.9 is a pretty sought after unit and seems to hold its value a little more, shouldnt be too hard to shift. All the young guys I know went looking at Golfs/Boras and focus's for their first cars.[/QUOTE]

+1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭pontovic

I had the 1.6 petrol model and the engines in those cars are rubbish apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 PauloToole

I would also look at the Irish Motoring sites for new cars

www.drivemagazine.ie
    www.cbg.ie

The specs and prices are different in England.

The Mazda 6

http://www.drivemagazine.ie/pages/road_test_details.php?code=663

Here's what CBG said

http://www.cbg.ie/newcars/Mazda/6_(2007).aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Personally i would take the mazda, its not too bad a choice. I assume you mean the older model toledo, not with the "huge" ass.

Being in different versions of the bora, 1.4, 1.6, some sort of TDI and the jetta (02 usa 2.5 petol)
    None of which i really liked to be a passanger or driver. The TDI's are good engines i like them even if they do sound "a bit" rough.
    1.6 has few problems (as do all cars i guess)
    I don't think i would bother going to england to import one of these unless the savings are good!

Was only a passanger in the previous model toledo, felt too much like to leon IMO so if i was going for the Toledo, id pick a leon!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭Esel

You will only save on importing a pre-2008 car by getting the lower CO2-based VRT rate. Road tax for these cars will be on the old c.c.-based rates.

The three cars will have similar road tax figures into the future.

When you come to sell though, depending on mileage, the diesels will probably be easier to shift.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

I wouldn't be so sure about the Toledo and the Bora being the same car - I was speaking to someone recently who worked in the VAG factory in Eastern Europe he said Seat's are pretty much bottom of the barrel in terms of parts quality - the assembly and testing are also done quite differently.
    Don't forget the Skoda Octavia - much better car IMO and a lot more like the Bora than the Toledo except it has a HUGE boot!:D
    Mazda would be more reliable though....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

Had an 01 Toledo 1.8 20v petrol for two years and found it a great car. Huge boot, and the quality was every bit as good as VW's. It was more economical that the 206 1.6 XSi I had before it, and every bit as quick. Took seven months to sell it on though. Only got €6500 for it (that was with 45,000 miles on the clock), two years ago. Local Seat dealer told me if it was diesel he could have sold it for me in a few hours.

Mazda are good too (had a 323 years ago), but I wouldn't pay too much for an old model 6 now that the replacement is on the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 ching9000

Thanks alot everyone for your input!!

I have decided to go for the Toledo after all, should be heading across the water within the next couple of weeks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 seataltea

eamon234 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be so sure about the Toledo and the Bora being the same car - I was speaking to someone recently who worked in the VAG factory in Eastern Europe he said Seat's are pretty much bottom of the barrel in terms of parts quality - the assembly and testing are also done quite differently.
    Don't forget the Skoda Octavia - much better car IMO and a lot more like the Bora than the Toledo except it has a HUGE boot!:D
    Mazda would be more reliable though....

Wouldnt beleive that eamon234. Most of the part that are used in SEAT have alreday been used in VW and/or AUDI so by the time they get into SEAT they have been an active product for some time and in some cases they have been an active product for years in VW / AUDI.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭gerardk55

For what it's worth, have a 1.8l Mazda 6 since apr 05, 145,000km and going like a train, super comfy, don't find it too harsh on petrol either.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭johntreacy

I have a 02 toledo 1.9tdi. It's a bit strange to drive at first as the steering is a little heavier than others(on mine anyway) I've 150k on the clock and never had much bother with until this week(think the injection pump maybe gone) but from any garage i've talked to that is very strage on them. The only other problem I had was the drivers door lock went but this is a problem all vw's i was told. Only other thing I can think of is water lies in the door sill between the door and body after a shower of rain and once r twice i got a nice wet foot opening the door. This is the only other kind of regular problem with them but there is a fix on seatcupra.net

Advertisement