Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Memories of your last meal help you stay thin

• 24-04-2008 12:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

The Telegraph

It is possible to think oneself thinner, scientists say in a new report.

Researchers at Birmingham University found that encouraging women to remember the details of their last meal made them less likely to eat snacks.

The results appear to contradict previous studies, which suggested that thinking about food increased hunger pangs.

Volunteers were more than a third less likely to eat a biscuit if they had spent time considering their last meal, the study found.

Suzanne Higgs, who led the research, said that it could point to a stronger connection between memory and body weight than previously considered.

"Certainly the study suggests that it is possible that how well people can remember could be a factor in explaining why some eat more than others," she added.

"There is a possibility that there are certain things that we do now, like watching TV while we eat, which are rather distracting and that could stop people recalling quite as well what they have eaten."

The study, detailed in New Scientist magazine, involved 47 women who were all asked to spend half an hour thinking after having a large lunch.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/04/24/nsenses224.xml

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭JennyG73

If I think of food I find myself longing for it????? Would be no help to me. Having something at breakfast and lunch has helped as used to skip one or both at times. Thinking of myself slimmer is keeping me going.

What does anyone else think?:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

wow, there was me thinking that not eating crap and moving once in a while made you thin.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 betty_swollox

Reaching for the remote does the job for me *that reminds me I must fix those scales*

Advertisement