Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard To Sleep After A Hard Ride

Options
  • 24-04-2008 12:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭

Hi all,i don't know if anyone else has found it hard to sleep after a race or a good long intense ride,certainly when i race the adrenaline is pumping around and you can spend time lying in bed going over the details of the race with your mind buzzing.I find the more intense the activity the worse i sometimes sleep,anyone any ides or suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Alright folks, be honest: who else mis-understood the title of this thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭bunnygreen

sorry i meant to say long ride

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclegadabout

Snap, thread title of the year.

Someone suggested to me to do slow heavy exercises to sleep. That’s not a great description, I mean some very slow pushups, chin-ups, stuff with weights. It’ll tire you out more than a fast, high energy workout, such as a good, long, hard, ride. PHWOAR!

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Needabike

Turn over and have a cigarette....it helps me

slow push ups sound good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

A good feed followed by some boring reading material in bed. Manuals, Travel books, Haynes Manuals, Roadcraft books. Avoid caffiene.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Can't believe someone has made a wise crack yet about pedals and cranks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Innocent as I am I read nothing into the title double entendre unlike the rest of your dirty minds. After a race last night I got home, had some toast, and was in me labba by 10.30 - 11pm. The race was running aroiund my head until about 1am which is the time I last remember I looked at the clock in exasperation (I shuda stayed up and watched TV to wind down). Thinking I was going to be wrecked for work today I surprisingly woke up fresh as a daisy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

I find reading helps me sleep - but not just any old thing. I think the mental effort of reading a decent novel tires me out. (Maybe I should turn on the light...?)

Taped episodes of "Fair City" would also be a good cure for sleeplessness, I imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclegadabout

Hungrycol wrote: »
    Innocent as I am I read nothing into the title double entendre unlike the rest of your dirty minds. After a race last night I got home, had some toast, and was in me labba by 10.30 - 11pm. The race was running aroiund my head until about 1am which is the time I last remember I looked at the clock in exasperation (I shuda stayed up and watched TV to wind down). Thinking I was going to be wrecked for work today I surprisingly woke up fresh as a daisy!

Be careful of a delayed reaction, you might be f*cked tomorrow.
    Often if I can't sleep on say a monday night, I'll be grand Tuesday but end up sleeping in on Wednesday morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭bobtjustice

Best title ever!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭ba

Just toast? i normally have my recovery drink, a big feed, lots of water, some more food/snacks, then bed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

A few stiff ones.
    :D

Planet X,classic my man,classic.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

On a more serious note though, and I'm club racing tonight, I've read about this and the supposed remedies one of which is a good long cold shower or cold bath.
    No thanks. I stay up, cannot sleep, it's very common.

I'll still have a couple of stiff ones when I get home though tonight after the race. And that could be legs. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭DurtyMurty

There's nothing like an auld browse thru the Cycling threads on Boards.ie to help wind down at night :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

ba wrote: »
    Just toast? i normally have my recovery drink, a big feed, lots of water, some more food/snacks, then bed.

It was only 32k race and lasted about an hour. My thinking is that when I used to play Rugby game for about 1hr20mins I never used to have anything special after a match, a squeeze of water at half time and couple of pints or beer afterwards (sometimes) but no big scoff or recover this or energy bar that. Don't get me wrong it's not that I don't believe in it, I do, just maybe not after only an hours cycling. A sportive or a 60+km cycle is a different story. I was careful about what I did eat before the race though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

It was only 32k race and lasted about an hour. My thinking is that when I used to play Rugby game for about 1hr20mins I never used to have anything special after a match, a squeeze of water at half time and couple of pints or beer afterwards (sometimes) but no big scoff or recover this or energy bar that. Don't get me wrong it's not that I don't believe in it, I do, just maybe not after only an hours cycling. A sportive or a 60+km cycle is a different story. I was careful about what I did eat before the race though.

I'll try and answer in a seriuos light! DO you take an energy drink, gel or bar when training?

is there a high caffeine content?

Advertisement