Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV and rounding of call charges

Options
  • 24-04-2008 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭

I use UTV Talk for landline calls. I noticed over the last 3 months or so that short calls to mobiles of less than 30 seconds are being charged for a full minute. We have quite a lot of these (calling people who don't answer and it goes through to voicemail). Their website says specifically that they do not round to th enearest minute and that there is a min call charge of 5.99 cent. I have been in touch with them and was told thet they do round up to thhe nearest minute. They are sending me a copy of a letter that was sent in December (apparently) informing me of this.
    Has anyone else with UTV seen this rounding up of short calls to 1 minute? It doesnt sound much - but at about 14c a time with sometimes 100 sucg calls - it soon mounts up the charges...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Different pricing plans have different charges, the minimum call duration is an option with most telco's (usually for people who only make longer calls).

It looks like they call what you're describing the "call set up fee"

http://u.tv/UTV_Internet/Residential/UTVtalk/TalkPackages.asp?Option=EvWkd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Ok - but on their FAQ Billing page http://u.tv/UTV_Internet/Residential/UTVtalk/FAQs.asp?Cat=Billing
    it states
    "All UTV Talk calls are billed by the second, not rounded up to the nearest minute. Why? Because its clear and easy for you to understand the cost per call."

I would expect a 6 second call to be 5.99c plus 10% of the charge per minute - not the full minute charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Well, one source is definitely wrong then, when you told them the website says that it bills per second, what was their response? Have they taken steps to fix it, as it amounts to false advertising.

I have told them on the phone - but they didn't seem to care. I am making a formal complaint now - see how far that gets me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Unfortunately nearly all telcos have a minimum call charge of one minute and per second billing thereafter.

The only one that doesn't is MCI Worldcom / Verizon who do not offer services to home or small business anymore.

• Advertisement

Final outcome after emailing UTV - they said they had informed me of the rounding in Dec 07 but I had no contact from them. They updated the FAQ on the website soon after I contacted them,
    Eventually managed to get a 50% refund on all my calls to mobiles in jan feb march (only 17 euro) - so they were fairly good. Still not happy with this rounding up to 1 minute though - but looks like most of them do it and I'm still reliant on the old dial up :mad: - and UTV have the best deal on that (180 hrs for 25 euro a month)

Advertisement