Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi A6 3.0TDI Quattro S LINE smell from air conditioning??

Options
  • 24-04-2008 1:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi just bought an 05 Audi A6 3.0TDI, as soon as i turn on the airconditioning there is a smell out of it, anyone have any ideas what it might be?? I was thinking it might be because the car had been smoked in?

Regards
    Michael

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Hi just bought an 05 Audi A6 3.0TDI, as soon as i turn on the airconditioning there is a smell out of it, anyone have any ideas what it might be?? I was thinking it might be because the car had been smoked in?

Regards
    Michael

Could just need re-gassing? I can't see how smoking would affect the aircon at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Michael Jones

Re-gassing? It works perfectly do, it worse when the heat is on?
    Thks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

The uncle bought an ex-lease Passat with claimate control and had the same problem - previous owner was a heavy smoker. We thought that was the problem but it turned out that it was due to mould and mildew in the evaporator. Had to spray anti - bacterial spray into the evaporator and change the filters - sorted it out. Seems to affect cars in Ireland more cos the air con is really only needed a couple of months of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Has the car been sitting idle for a long time, or the aircon not used for a long period?
    Bugs can build up in the system if it's not run now and again, giving rise to foul and pestilential airs such as this; most dealerships/service places have the way of cleaning aircon systems these days, and getting the pollen filter changed mightn't be a bad plan either.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

Sounds like a dirty pollen filter. A new filter should sove the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Michael Jones

Thats great thanks guys, hope thats all it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Hi,
    two things that you should do:

1. Get a can of Comma (or other brand) Air Con system cleaner.
    2. Change the pollen filter (s).

Your problem is defenitely caused by bacteria in the system. Before you use the anti bacterial spray take out the pllen filter so it doesn't get ruind by the spray.
    The spray actually sites behind the driver/passenger seat, you put your aircon system on full speed with the recirculatory function, then tunr the spray on (it should stay on by itself). Place it on the floor behind the seat & run the car until the spray runs out. It shoudl kill all bacteria & leave a temporary mild lemon smell in the car.

Or for a more professional explanation:

http://www.commaoil.com/News/newsairconcleanhtm.htm

Advertisement