Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need help with nervousness - acting classes?

• 24-04-2008 1:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hi, I am working in an industry where giving presentations is expected and I find that although I have a lot to say I am overcome with nerves and never feel I preform effectively. I have done presentation skills courses over the years but dont find them of much use! I read that an acting class might give me tips an techniques that would be useful to me. Does anyone have an opinion on this and can you recommend where I might contact. Thanks, Daisy.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Both the DLI (www.dli.ie) and Gaiety school of acting do beginners courses that should help.

If you have a week to spare then I highly recommend stageworks, www.stageworks.ie which is a week long residential summer school. My place has been booked for months!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Not a member myself, but I know a few people who have got a lot out of Toastmasters.

http://www.toastmasters.ie/

As they are more about public speaking than acting you might find them more beneficial.

Plenty of clubs around the country.

http://d71.org/portal.php?page=4&sid=9de2fece73ac16080c9e95663e19839b

What happens at a Toastmasters meeting?
    You are very welcome to attend our meetings as a guest. Our meetings follow a similar format almost every week. The evening is split into two sessions of almost an hour each.

In the first half of the meeting all attending can take part in a Topics Session where a Topicsmaster (the personnel change every meeting) asks a member or guest to respond to a random topic. You have two minutes to speak, thereafter anyone can respond for a minute. The Topics Session is an informal and entertaining part of the evening and is always a good challenge as speakers are required to think on their feet.

The second part of the evening is taken up with three set speeches which are part of a Toastmasters speaking programme. The Competent Communicator award is a ten step programme for new members where you are given a set of exercises for each speech you make. Each step concentrates on an important facet of public speaking. On completion of this you can move on to the Advanced modules. Speakers with a wide range of experience will speak at each meeting. Towards the end of the evening each speech is evaluated offering the speakers valuable advice about how to improve their speechmaking.

Members are encouraged to take on a number of roles in the club which offers a chance to broaden experience. Leadership and listening skills are as much a part of Toastmasters as is public speaking. Why not drop into our club or a local club to find out more!

Further information on joining our club can be obtained by talking to a member at the meeting. Please view a list of Irish Toastmasters Clubs or visit the Toastmasters International website

MAKING EFFECTIVE COMMUNICATION A REALITY
    Toastmasters is the best way to improve your communication skills. Lose your fear of public speaking and learn skills that will help you be more successful in whatever path you have chosen in life.

* Be a better listener
    * Easily lead teams and conduct meetings
    * Give and receive constructive evaluation

Even if you do join Toastmasters, please consider joining your local amateur drama group, I'm sure they are always looking for members!!

My observations of fellow members of my local drama group, lead to believe that "acting" is not the same as doing a presentation. I know several members who while they would have no problem performing any role in a play, would be terrified to walk onto the stage as themselves (e.g. doing MC, or even just carrying the box of raffle tickets onstage!)

A book I can recommend to help deal with your nerves is Secrets of Performing Confidence by Andrew Evans (link is for easons, but it's widely available)

http://www.eason.ie/look/9780713662887/Secrets-of-Performing-Confidence--For-Actors--Musicians--Performers--Presenters-and-Public-Speakers/Andrew-Evans

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭PH4T

Not a member myself, but I know a few people who have got a lot out of Toastmasters.

I am looking to do something like Toastmasters over the summer but it appears they are all stopping until September.

Is there anyting else similiar that runs over the summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Pikasso

I can definitely second that Toastmasters recommendation - it's a fantastic way to increase your confidence when performing or speaking in public.
    Yes, unfortunately they are finished for the summer months but then so are all the amateur drama productions.
    Roll on September? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5 nushka989

If you're still interested in doing an acting course Gaiety and The Lir have some great ones, you can find out more information here

The Lir also do some great courses to help with public speaking.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,654 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Any acting course should definitely help with building confidence. I have a 6 week improvisation course kicking off in Dublin in May that also may be of interest.

Some of my students have started the course with similar reasoning. It's a fantastic way to build confidence and improve both your public speaking ability and presentation style. Plus its lots of fun! :)

http://www.lowerthetone.com/dublinimprov/

Advertisement